Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Grad school question - chances of acceptance

Registered
    Jan 2005

Grad school question - chances of acceptance

Can someone please help to placate my fears, or at least give me honest answers about my chances of grad acceptance.

I got a 1070 on my GREs with a 570 (77th percentile) on my Verbal, a 500 (26th percentile on my Quantitative...bummer) and a 5.5 on my Analytical Writing. I am concerned, obviously, about my Quantitative GRE. MY GREs are slanted a little differently than most; with my Verbal being stronger than Quantitative. I feel my Personal Statement was quite strong, but that combined GRE is not that good but not that bad either. Further, my undergrad GPA was a 3.1, but my Major GPA was a 3.57. I didn't mention my grade or GRE concerns in my letter as I felt these were things that they could notice without my helping hand.

Are my chances of admittance fairly low with those stats? I graduated three years ago and spent those years traveling the world and as a geophysical assistant (a plus). I applied to Western Washington University (an MS in Geography with planning track), Portand State and University of Oregon.

Any help, comments, or realistic horizons would be appreciated. If I am a sinking ship I would prefer to know

Much appreciated.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    You should be fine. I don't think GRE is the most important thing. I was just below 600 in the math part and ended up getting into all the programs I applied to except one. I also had a 3.1 in undergrad. I think GPA and your personal statement matter most. Good luck and go to the cheapest school you can.

Registered
    May 2002

Grad Schools

Scooter,

Keep your head up! Its going to depend on the specific program, but the fact that you have three apps into different schools will surely increase your chances. Many programs will give you points for having some real world experience you can offer your colleagues, and your undergrad performance is solid.

Registered
    Mar 2004

If.....

I would send an application to at least one southern school.....if your name is really Scooter, you'll be a shoe in Seriously, send your application to at least three schools with three different levels of difficulty for admission......Knowing what I now know, I would find the cheapest accredited program and spend the saved money on travel, new home, moving, whatever......
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I dont really have any advice, but good luck! My GPA is low too...2.9578. It WILL be above a 3.0 when I graduate in May...but I am still worried about it.

I went and visited Portland State and met several professors. They sorta made me feel like my GPA wasnt going to keep me out. I had a good GRE and my letter was strong, I think (Cardinal liked it!)

Your GPA is better, and depending on your letters of recomendation, I think you have a pretty good chance.

Which school is your first pick, btw?

Grad School Worries

I don't think you have much to worry about.

I haven't heard ANYTHING good about WWU's program, and that's coming from two different people.

If you don't mind the east side, Eastern has a great program, accredited even. And you don't even need the GRE to be accepted. Check into it.

I think you will be just fine. I am also looking at grad school right now, and I am ashamed to admit that my undergrad GPA was much lower than yours (I was very....um....social during my undergrad years ). I have not even taken the GRE yet ! Anyway, I am not stressing about it because I know that something will work out for me - and if it works out for me, it should definately work out for someone like you who is a bit more prepared.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    For anyone worried about their GPA.... most schools will still take applications and accept students even if you're below a stated minimum of 3.0. Apply anway. I know a few people accepted here beneth the requirement. They were on probation for the first semester and just had to get B's to stay in--- usually no big deal in grad school.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    From my experience with applying to graduate programs, GRE scores tended to be more of a "formality" in applying than a determining factor. My scores weren't particularly high at all and got into 3 out of 4 programs that I applied to. Also, a lot of these programs want to grow and it would be disadvantageous to them to turn down applicants. Just apply and give it some time. It took me 9 months to hear back from one school that accepted me. Good luck!

Registered
    Jan 2005

Grad School

Fueled by Ramen-

Thanks for the advice. I had read your plan to visit PSU and decided to plan my own trip to UofO. Eugene looks incredible! Anyway, thanks for the support and I reciprocate it with the best wishes. I know you will do well! Your GRE scores are very good and your persistence will definitely show them you really want to do well in the program. My first choice is WWU simply because that is where I want to work, then probably PSU and or UofO. Honestly though I would be hard pressed to go to WWU if I was offered entrance at either of the latter. We will see.

Best wishes and keep up the enthusiasm. It will pay off

Scooter

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I agree with most posts here. Apply and see what happens... Most urban planning departments seek to grow their programs and want to add as many qualified students as possible. Planning is definately not super competitive like MBA programs.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I think it depends on where you did your undergrad, and where you want to go. Because of the difficulty of my undergrad program, I did not have any problems getting into Western Michigan University. But then again I have been out of school for more than two years, working as a planner, so I think that they just let me in.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 27 Mar 2011, 9:40 PM
  2. Replies: 25
    Last post: 21 Feb 2011, 9:34 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 14 Dec 2010, 4:31 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 26 May 2009, 1:24 AM
  5. Replies: 22
    Last post: 11 Dec 2008, 6:35 PM