Urban planning community

Poll results: Which is better HBO crime drama?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Sopranos

6 50.00%
  • The Wire

6 50.00%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: The Sopranos v The Wire

Registered
    Mar 2007

The Sopranos v The Wire

I used to think The Sopranos was the best thing ever put on TV but after reading/hearing all the hype over HBO's The Wire, I decided to check it out.

I have just finished watching the first season and now agree with the multitude of critics out there... this really is better than The Sopranos. While The Sopranos would be consistently good throughout a season, there were the occasional boring episodes (let's face it - if I'm tuning into HBO, I want either gratuitous sex, excessive violence, or a hearty combination of both). So far with The Wire, I have yet to watch an episode that I would consider boring.

Additionally, I really like the shorter seasons that HBO's uses for their dramas. In my opinion, that really helps to keep it fresh and interesting and makes me that much more interested when a new season starts up.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    you need a choice for us rural folks to say:

what is this Wire & Sopranos of which you speak that?

See and I started watching an epi of The Wire after the media was pimpin it and the first thing I notice was that it was about....the media, tah-dah! I got bored and turned it off.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    you need a choice for us _______ to say:

Filling in the blank - Frugal people who don't have HBO
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Filling in the blank - Frugal people who don't have HBO
    I had HBO in college (it was included with the Dorm fees) and got hooked on the Sopranos then. Since then I've just waited for it to come out on DVD and rented them.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    The Wire is head and shoulders above The Sopranos and really in my mind probably the best show ever made for TV. The 2nd and 4th seasons are my favorites, though all have been spectacular.

It's a crime that The Wire has never won an Emmy.

Quote Originally posted by AirGarcia View post
    See and I started watching an epi of The Wire after the media was pimpin it and the first thing I notice was that it was about....the media, tah-dah! I got bored and turned it off.
    You really can't begin watching anywhere but episode one, season one. There are too many things that you'll be lost on if you watch the episodes out of order or skip episodes. Some might make sense - but you'll be missing out on some of the finer points of the show. The plot of each episode/season/entire run is incredibly complex - one of the parts I like, but also something that has probably hurt it's ratings. I never got into the show until I started from the beginning - I tried watching one episode during the third season (I think) and was completely bored because I really couldn't tell what was going on.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 24 Jan 2008 at 9:04 AM. Reason: double reply

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by CJC View post
    The Wire is head and shoulders above The Sopranos and really in my mind probably the best show ever made for TV. The 2nd and 4th seasons are my favorites, though all have been spectacular.

It's a crime that The Wire has never won an Emmy.
    CJC is exaclty right! If you want to understand the problems with inner city schools and why they never seem to improve then season 4 is a must see.

The Wire is so complex that it might just be over the head of the Emmy voters
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Seriously, who purchases HBO? There are so much more rewarding things you could do with your money.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    you need a choice for us rural folks to say:

that was my first thought. I only have 20 channels...and I would have to speak a couple of different languages to understand 5 of them, watch church TV, cable guide or public access for another 3....so I get 12. I do get about 4 versions of PBS...so I am blessed. I personally think Monarch of the Glen is one of the best shows ever!
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I am a sopranos newbiee, I would love to discuss some of the episodes with people but whoam I kidding it is so last century already. Hey I get HBO now, I guess I could check out this The Wire. I was a basic cable holdout forfreakin ever. No way would I ever pay for premium channels. Until comcast made me an offer I couldnt refuse. Free hbo for 6 mos then 5 bucks for ever after, with my basic digi package.

I just wish hbo ondemand would show the last season of sexin the city, I was caught up before xmas break, I go on vacation I come back, SITC is off the air. I guess I'll have to netflix it now.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    "The Wire" rules!!

I read an unabashed paen to it in the New Yorker and bought series 1 on DVD out of curiosity.

Instantly hooked!!

So much so that my wunderwife bought me seasons 2 and 3 for X-mas. Just finisehd watchign Season 2 and am happy I've got numero tres to look forward to.

The only downside? I ahve to watch myself to keep from saying "ya'w", "motherfuc#er" and "N...." every fifth word [if nothing else, the third one would get me fired at work and quite possibly my ass kicked around London
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    Seriously, who purchases HBO? There are so much more rewarding things you could do with your money.
    1. Almost any time you start a new cable/dish/whatever account, a year or two of free HBO seems to come with it if you ask (I've had HBO for three out of the last four years and never paid for it) With my current free HBO I get HBO on-demand, meaning I can watch the episodes whenever I want.

2. I own the DVD sets for The Wire - many times they can be bought for under $40 - $3-4 an episode is a steal, IMO.

3. Netflix the discs one at a time (2-4 episodes each)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 15
    Last post: 01 Mar 2009, 2:04 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 04 Jun 2007, 10:27 AM
  3. Which wire?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 23 Mar 2005, 11:41 PM