Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: Greetings from Long Beach

     
    Registered
    Jan 2005

Greetings from Long Beach

Hello.
    My name is Mark Hungerford and I am a graduating senior at Cal State - Long Beach. I am a geography major/journalism minor. My interests lie in all things urban - particularly urban planning.
    I am in the process of applying to grad schools for the coming fall semester. Thus far my focus has been on the departments at San Diego State University and the University at Buffalo. I take the GRE next Saturday.
    This website (cyburbia.org) appears at the end of a chapter in my urban geography textbook. Though I have only briefly sifted through the contents of this site, I really like what I see and hope to use it to further stimulate my interests in the field.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome from a CSU-Sonoma grad now in the Florida panhandle.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    welcome
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Welcome from the northshore of the Ohio River at MileMarker 792.5.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

     
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Thank you for the welcomes.
    RichmondJake - my sister is attending CSU-Sonoma and is loving every minute of it. Beautiful country up there.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by CMH
    Thank you for the welcomes.
    RichmondJake - my sister is attending CSU-Sonoma and is loving every minute of it. Beautiful country up there.
    My sister is a SSU grad too and lives in Santa Rosa. I miss visting the wineries...but this summer, watch out for I'm a coming out to put some hurt my credit card.

     
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    My sister is a SSU grad too and lives in Santa Rosa. I miss visting the wineries...but this summer, watch out for I'm a coming out to put some hurt my credit card.
    Make sure to catch and A's game or two for, as you know, they are the Bay's best team.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Welcome aboard CHM! I'm a geography major student too, although down here in Chile. Glad you joined here, be sure to have fun and stick around here
    Cheers!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Hi and welcome from a grad student in San Diego!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Make sure to catch and A's game or two for, as you know, they are the Bay's best team.
    Are they still wearing them silly white shoes? And the DH? No way. There's another team across the bay that be my favorites....and always have since the days of Mays

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Welcome from Chicagoland!
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

welcome

welcome.
    Universe is not wide enough to be planned.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Hi CMH, from Wellington, New Zealand

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Welcome from a fellow Geography major, well OK I graduated a few years ago but

well anyway welcome!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Welcome from just out side of Kalamazoo.

What is the name of your Text Book?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Welcome CMH from NE Florida!

     
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    [QUOTE= What is the name of your Text Book?[/QUOTE]

Cities of the World : World Regional Urban Development
    edited by Stanley D. Brunn

RichmondJake - I like the Giants chances in the West this season, but beyond 2005 they are staring at some major hurdles, namely the issue of inexperience. Gotta love the Benitez signing though - Herges alone cost you guys six or seven games last year.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I like the Giants' chances, too. Since you're down near Chavez Latrine, you will like this site, just like sisterceleste does (it's on the top of her bookmarks).

http://www.dodgerblues.com/#

[QUOTE=CMH]
    Thus far my focus has been on the departments at San Diego State University and the University at Buffalo. QUOTE]

Welcome CMH from the lands between San Diego and Buffalo. What brought you to consider these two schools? Has that little Buffalo logo on the Cyburbia forum been calling out to your subconcious? Best of luck on your GRE.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    the University at Buffalo. I take the GRE next Saturday.
    This website (cyburbia.org) appears at the end of a chapter in my urban geography textbook.
    What the hell is acadamia coming to? When cyburbia cited in a textbook, I really have to wonder what they are teaching. Perhaps the textbook was published in connection with the University of Buffalo, which I believe is the birthplace of said website.

Welcome !!!!
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Welcome to the ship from the ass-end of lake erie
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Hello.
    My name is Mark Hungerford and I am a graduating senior at Cal State - Long Beach. I am a geography major/journalism minor. My interests lie in all things urban - particularly urban planning.
    I am in the process of applying to grad schools for the coming fall semester. Thus far my focus has been on the departments at San Diego State University and the University at Buffalo. I take the GRE next Saturday.
    This website (cyburbia.org) appears at the end of a chapter in my urban geography textbook. Though I have only briefly sifted through the contents of this site, I really like what I see and hope to use it to further stimulate my interests in the field.

Greetings Fellow Long Beacher!

I also graduated from CSULB Geography Department, alas, way back in 1988, with my MA in Geography in 1999. It would be interesting to compare notes - send me a private message and we'll chat!

Scot E. Ferris
    NATURE WASTES SPACE
    PAVEMENT IS OUR SALVATION

Zeroxed signs found along Pacific Coast Highway in 1990. Proudly hanging in my office ever since... ;)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Greetings from your Cascadia neighbour and future olympic city, Vancouver...
    Mitchbaby: Proud to be a :canada: planner and a :canada: surfer

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. How long is too long at an internship?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 06 Apr 2013, 8:27 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last post: 15 Oct 2009, 12:21 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last post: 29 Jun 2007, 10:53 AM
  4. Hello from Long Beach (NY)
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 30 Jul 2006, 6:13 PM
  5. Replies: 11