+ Reply to thread

Thread: College towns (michaelskis)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

College towns (michaelskis)

michaelskis
    Posted: Jan 25 2005, 10:13 AM

What was your college town like? More so, what aspects of your town where geared towards student activities?

Wanigas?
    Posted: Jan 25 2005, 10:27 AM

Ann Arbor. Fun place!

But what do you mean by "student activities"? There were lots of party stores near where I lived!

GLUG GLUG GLUG

skeleton
    Posted: Jan 25 2005, 10:43 AM

Well, after the quake of 1960 destroyed most of the industries here in Valdivia, the main employer was the local university, although there are a lot of discos and pubs, these aren't located THAT close to the 2 campuses that the local university has. The pubs are mostly in downtown, and there is a special spot (that now is right next to the mall) that is recognized as a bohemian spot, with lots of pubs and good restaurants.

Lately the city has experienced lots of growth (compared to the average economic growth between 1960 and 1990), and the University has become less important, mainly due to the fact that other private universities installed their money making campuses. (In Chile private universities are rarely of good quality, and most are seen as a cash register type of university, since they get the bad students that couldn't get to good public universities, and charge them way more than public ones, for worse education)

Also tourism has become a big economic sector here; but the majority of the population are University students, so the pubs and discos still survive quite well.

jna
    Posted: Jan 25 2005, 11:01 AM

Logan, Utah was a great experience. cool.gif
    It was the county seat, in an agricultural valley.
    No night life but the outdoor activities were great, at the mouth of a canyon into the mountains - National Forest.

Suburb Repairman
    Posted: Jan 25 2005, 11:03 AM

I went to Texas State University in San Marcos. It was a pretty decent college town of about 40,000. The entire town square, with the exception of a couple of government buildings and a few stores, was made up of bars. The campus was only about 6 blocks from the square, which was convenient. There were two major problems though, the bars were downhill from the campus, which made the drunken stagger back up more challenging. Also, the taps were cut at midnight, forcing people to move up to Austin or to homes to continue the party.

San Marcos is a really pretty town. It has the San Marcos River running right through the campus, which is where everyone goes to look at the "scenery", if you get my drift. Texas State has a reputation of having extremely attractive students, both male & female.

There isn't a lot of love between the city and the college, but that is beginning to improve (look for an APA session on this in 2006). There isn't much fan support for the sports here, though that is beginning to improve as well. DI-AA football just doesn't attract attention down here in Texas, where there is aTm, UT and nobody else really matters in most people's eyes. Texas State also has a spirit problem because of the crappy football team, being somewhat of a commuter school, proximity to UT, and that this school was a second choice in the past for many (which is not the case anymore due to elevated academic standards; I had a friend apply as a second choice and got turned down while his first choice actually accepted him).

Here's a little joke for all of you Bobcat Alums out there:

Q: What do you call San Marcos without Texas State University?
    A: Seguin, TX

Q: What do you call Seguin without Texas Lutheran University?
    A: Lockhart, TX

Here are some pics of San Marcos, courtesy of Texas State and the City of San Marcos--I wish I had some better pics:

Old Main
    http://www.visitwimberley.com/articl...s/swt-2003.jpg

San Marcos postcard
    [url]http://www.texfiles.com/sanmarcostexas/leftA.jpg[/Iurl]

San Marcos skyline
    http://www.ci.san-marcos.tx.us/News/...es/Skyline.jpg

A little of the downtown streetscape project (could not find a nightlife pic)
    http://www.ci.san-marcos.tx.us/News/...s/St_Scape.jpg

The next two are of Sewell Park and the San Marcos River, which runs through the campus
    http://www.campusrecreation.txstate....r/Outdoor7.jpg

http://www.campusrecreation.txstate..../Outdoor11.jpg

jaxspra
    Posted: Jan 25 2005, 11:04 AM
    Report PostDelete PostEdit PostQuote Post

My college town was only a few miles from Branson, MO...I don't think there is much more to say...for those of you that don't know what Branson, Missouri is...it is your typical Ozark hillbillie town...Springfield, MO (where I went to college) is just a large city near it. There is a small dowtownt hey are in the process of revitalizing and there is a small historic district. It is an old railroad town. There are about 3-4 colleges in the area, Southwest Missouri State University and Drury being the largest but the town just doesn't have that "college town" feel...

skeleton
    Posted: Jan 25 2005, 12:17 PM

Hey Suburb Repairman, why are there stairs going down to that creek in the second to last picture? Do people swim there? or do loveboats go around there?

jaxspra... Branson,MO has INTERNATIONAL fame for being a hillbillie town...

Suburb Repairman
    Posted: Jan 25 2005, 12:56 PM

Hey Suburb Repairman, why are there stairs going down to that creek in the second to last picture? Do people swim there? or do loveboats go around there?

jaxspra... Branson,MO has INTERNATIONAL fame for being a hillbillie town... tongue.gif

People swim, canoe and kayak there. It seems strange that those activities are not shown in that picture. Oh, and it is a river, not a creek. This is so close to the headwaters (about 500 yards away) that the river is not very big.

You can go swimming in that water pretty much year-round. It is really clean water since the headwaters, San Marcos Springs, is also located on campus. The water is 72*F all year. It is also a frequent site for fraternity & sorority initiations (and illegal hazing).

This park connects to the municipal park system, which is a linear park system that can take you from the campus all the way across town to the Interstate. It comes within a block of places like Target, Best Buy, and HEB (local large grocer), so I rarely took my car to run errands.

Zoning Goddess
    Posted: Jan 25 2005, 12:57 PM

The town where I went to college (South Hadley, Mass) burned down. The whole downtown, as I understand. Apparently replaced by some ugly multi-story building. Anyway, when I was there it was a picturesque little town square with restaurants, shops, an inn, etc. It was pretty much all directed at the college (not just students, faculty and staff, also). But for fun, we normally hopped a free bus to one of the other 4 colleges in the area for frat parties, shopping in larger towns, hockey games, etc.

hymalaia
    Posted: Jan 25 2005, 01:12 PM

I go to Hampshire College, down the road from Mt. Holyoke, where I presume you went. That college pretty much IS South Hadley's downtown. The first few times I went there I don't think I even noticed the center, just thought it was an extension of the campus. Hampshire is more or less stranded on a farm several miles from the center of my town (Amherst). There is a bus system that runs frequently during weekdays, but for leisure activities on weekends and nights it's more sporadic.

You really need a car to make the most of the region, which has a lot to offer. That's the fatal flaw of the Pioneer Valley, and the Five College system. Nearby Northampton has a pretty happening neat little downtown. Amherst Center has a few things (good coffee shops, cd stores, bookstores etc.) but too much of it takes after the atmosphere of the nearby UMass campus for my comfort. Nothing against the school, but the pedestrian environment over there is a CLASS A NIGHTMARE. Their high rise skyline of modernist dorm towers can be sporadically viewed from several places around the (other wise fairly rural) region. It's ominous and creepy as hell.

zmanPLAN
    Posted: Jan 25 2005, 01:35 PM

Greeley, Colorado smelled bad due to a large meat packing plant on the north side. (THE ONE can attest to this)

It was good for bars and stuff, with affordable housing for students and migrant farm workers (It was also an agricultural town).

It has a violent side, with a growing gang problem (You would hear gun shots every now and then), but a good town nonetheless.

A lot of the bar activity was quite a walk from campus, thus making a lot of driving for students (with the usual consequeces).

mendelman
    Posted: Jan 25 2005, 02:11 PM

As Wanigas? mentioned, Ann Arbor, MI is a great university city.

It is a small/medium sized city of 109,000 with many cultural activities and job opportunities - Pfizer research labs, Dominos and Borders headquarters.

the bars are just OK, though, but accessible to most of the student population centers on foot.

nerudite
    Posted: Jan 25 2005, 02:23 PM

I loved Davis so much that when I graduated I stayed and worked there as a planner!

Gedunker
    Posted: Jan 25 2005, 02:49 PM

Muncie and Ball State didn't have much in common. There was the Village near campus, but when I was there in the mid-late 80s it was just a couple of *okay* watering holes and a pair of pizza joints. I understand the Village is better now, but BSU was really a commuter school so weekends were for out-of-towners and *dedicated* grad students like me.

Stroudsburg was worse, except hiking the Delaware Water Gap was a definite favorite.

jaxspra
    Posted: Jan 25 2005, 02:52 PM

I figured it did but just in case someone hadn't heard of that retched place rolleyes.gif

plannerbabs
    Posted: Jan 25 2005, 04:14 PM

Stroudsburg was worse, except hiking the Delaware Water Gap was a definite favorite.

Sorry to say, the Village has not improved much. Still a handful of watering holes that seem to be aimed more at frat boys, a couple of sandwich places....not much else. Downtown Muncie is improving, though.

My other college town was a major city with several colleges. The neighborhoods around every other college except mine felt college-y, with coffee places etc. Mine.....was mostly concrete downtown. It's gotten better, though.

NHPlanner
    Posted: Jan 25 2005, 04:17 PM

Sorry to say, the Village has not improved much. Still a handful of watering holes that seem to be aimed more at frat boys, a couple of sandwich places....not much else. Downtown Muncie is improving, though.

My other college town was a major city with several colleges. The neighborhoods around every other college except mine felt college-y, with coffee places etc. Mine.....was mostly concrete downtown. It's gotten better, though.

It's been all downhill since "The Chug" closed.

Ball State and Muncie could have been different countries while I was there.

giff57
    Posted: Jan 25 2005, 04:36 PM

I have to leave a shout out to Iowa City Iowa........ A little liberal heaven in a sea of conservatism.

Lee Nellis
    Posted: Jan 25 2005, 07:08 PM

I've had a few between studying and teaching.

Laramie first, a bit breezy and cold at 7,000 feet. When I was there, there was no college district worthy of the name. A handful of businesses across Grand Avenue from the dorms, including the Little Brown Jug (but the drinking age was 21). All the party action was downtown at the Buckhorn and other bars, or at parties up in the hills near Vedavuoo and Happy Jack. UWyo is a darn good small school. I enjoyed my three years there. But you have to love the wind.

Going from Laramie to Madison was a shock. I know this other UW also has a rep as a party school, and I did drink a lot of beer in the Arrowhead Bar (cheap brats and hockey - the place was torn down later for "renewal," what a shame) and Paisan's underground pizza parlor, but by and large things were more serious. The lakes save Madison from being a sort of boring small city. It is another good place to go to school, if you are ready for the size. I was a little overwhelmed for the first few months.

I taught in Logan, which as noted is a great place if you love to be outdoors. Also a respectable small school in many fields. There is no college district and if you want a beer, its the White Owl or ? Fortunately the White Owl is good tavern, with a non-smoking section. You have to deal with the Mormon majority, but they are generally good neighbors. This is the only one of these towns I ocassionally wish I hadn't left. I love Wyoming, but Laramie is not the place to live in that State.

My final stop in academia was at Cheney. Not an inspiring place. EWU has since mostly moved to Spokane to be closer to the population base. I'm not convinced that was an improvement. Spokane is close to lots of cool places, and I have had some good times there, both back then and since, but it isn't a place I dream of returning to.

Other outstanding college towns: Manhattan, KS, Davis, CA (although it is so expensive), Euegene, Corvallis (a little less so than Eugene, though), Berkeley, Boulder, Burlington.

Zoning Goddess
    Posted: Jan 25 2005, 07:23 PM

Yep, I went to MHC. Altho' at that time, Northampton was pretty quiet and Amherst was great. South Hadley used to be a charming little town, especially in the winter. For someone from Florida, going to New England, the snow in this little picturesque town, it was great! I have not been back since the town burned down.

RichmondJake
    Posted: Jan 25 2005, 07:42 PM

My school was in a No. Calfornia suburban bedroom city. Not much night life there. But then we could always go to the town next door. "See you soon, at the Cotati Saloon."

trail nazi
    Posted: Jan 25 2005, 10:06 PM

Tallahassee is a great town and has hosted the number one party school for a number of years!

jaxspra
    Posted: Jan 26 2005, 11:03 AM

Lee Nellis - wow, that just brought back lots of memories...I was a planner for Laramie for a very short while...I rememebr the area around the school being called the "tree district" couldnt understand why at first, then I realized its the only area that has trees in the entire city...and I still have a jug form that bar that i keep all my spare change in. Laramie isan ok town, but I moved there with child, by myself and found it impossible to meet people and moved fairly quickly...oh and the wind!!! I lost quite a few pictures from leaving the windows opened.

the north omaha star
    Posted: Jan 26 2005, 02:23 PM

Lawrence, KS was awesome!!! Lawrence has about 80,000 full time residents, and about 110 - 115,000 residents during the academic school year. It has a vibrant downtown and decent bars. However, Lawrence has become a bedroom community for the Kansas City metro area for some time now.

plannerbabs
    Posted: Jan 26 2005, 04:07 PM

While I was not technically a student there, I have to add Bloomington, IN, home of IU. Great college town, getting kind of expensive, but a huge variety of things to do, see, eat, and drink. alcoholic.gif Very walkable downtown area, great old housing stock, beautiful campus....
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 17 Apr 2006 at 1:44 PM.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    H
    Posted: Jan 26 2005, 11:52 PM

Lets see... since I have 3 and have lived in others...

Oxford, Miss(undergrad): Classic "college town". Everything geared toward students... that is all there was.

Knoxville, Tn (grad): Perfect size. The school was a major aspect of the city, yet the city was big enough that there were other activities.

Tallahassee, Fl (doc): See above.

Other cities with colleges I have lived in or know well:

Atlanta, Ga.: What there was a college there... sorta lost in the crowd.

Miami (really Coral Gables), Fl: UM is a suprisingly BIG presence around CG and the Miami are... many activities... plus a large city... consider me impressed.

Gainesville, Fl: See oxford.

Athens, Ga: Call me 'crazy' because I am one of the few folks who does not like Athens. It is sorta the worst of a small town with nothing else to do and the worst of a larger city where the the flavor is gone... heck, isnt Athens an Altanta suburb by now?

Muncie, In.(yeah I know Muncie): Not really, but I have driven through. I have family down the road in Anderson and Muncie sorta just felt like Anderson, but with a college instead of a GM plant.

That is enough, before make too many enemies el_guapo.gif

bkm
    Posted: Jan 27 2005, 04:36 PM

My college towns:

Peoria, Illinois during the depths of the Reagan Depression (1983-85): Attended Bradley University during a foolish phase when I thought I would make a good electrical engineer. A mistake.

Bradley was a small school (5000 students) and Peoria a relatively large city (300,000+) so it was definitely not the dominant force. I remember a fe campus-bars and restaurants, and I was in a nerd fraternity smile.gif

Peoria was a little grim at the time. Layoffs, big strike, sleepy downtown. Still, I kinda liked aspects of the town. For the midwest flatlands, its quite scenic (river bluffs and all), there is some great architecture from the glory days, and I had a good time overall (damn, was I poor, though) .

Charlottesville, Virginia (University of Virginia graduate program): A beautiful little town in a gorgeous Blue Ridge Mountains setting. Definitely dominates the University, although the downtown was somewhat separated by a long strip street. The campus is still one of American architecture's most sublime accomplishments, the mountains and countryside were beautiful, and even the downtown as charming if a little bloodless and anemic.

On the other hand (no offense, natives) Virginia planning law sucks, and the town was afflicted by serious strip commercial and miles of country estate subdivisions marring the countryside. Culturally, it was a little pretentious, as well. Still, a very fine place, and I would like to visit again.

(The gap between Bradley and UVA was filled by "a live with the parents and finish as quickly as possible an undergraduate degree at the branch campus of Indiana University in my hometown" period that I won't discuss. smile.gif )

noj
    Posted: Jan 28 2005, 08:51 AM

A couple of UK ones for you; Sheffield and Cambridge.

Sheffield was where I was at Uni, great little city with loads of good bars, 2 football/soccer teams and loads of other good sport things going on. Very friendly people who are generally quite glad of students and the money they bring into the local economy. Lots of hills, snow in the winter, 5 miles from the Peak District National Park. Loved it.

Cambridge - my home town. Students here generally don't seem to mix too well with the locals. Half of the problem is that Cambridge, along with Oxford, has a reputation of being the top uni in the country but also very elitist. There is therefore a perception in the town that the students at Cambridge are very posh and were born with a silver spoon in their mouth. I'm sure this isn't half as true as it used to be, but still the students you notice are the loud hee-hawing public school types.

There are lots of good pubs in Cambridge, but very few good clubs, largely because (and this may be an urban myth) the Uni bars have the majority of the limited number of late licenses (in the UK you need a late licence to serve alcohol after 11pm). Very nice city though, loads of great architecture and throughly recommended for a visit if you're ever in the country.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I did my bachelors and masters at UW-Oshkosh. A burg of about 50,000, 10,000 of whihc was the campus. It was 'otay' and only really noteworthy for the beer riots of 1989-1990, when the cops were raiding house parties every thursday night (the big party night since everyone went home for the weekends) and locking up the under-agers. The timing was horrible, as my resumes were just starting to hit the streets...

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I went to Victoria University which is right in the central city here in Wellington (pop. 170k). Because it is integrated into the city, with 4 campuses spread around the city, it misses out a bit on having a distinct university identity. But, on the other hand, all the city facilities are available for students (cafes, great library). Right by the university are the Botanic Gardens where I used to sit and study in the sun. The cable car takes you from the uni right down into the CBD in less than 5 mins. Certain bars are known as student bars that us older folk (I'm 25!) stay away from. Easy to get between work and lectures - I used to work part-time at an office in teh CBD and then walk 5-10mins uphill to my classes in the afternoon.

     
    Registered
    Apr 2006
    I see Ann Arbor was mentioned so I thought I would share some of the architecture of the University of Michigan buildings I have taken:

Sorry about the sun making some of the pictures crappy.

I have a big collection of Ann Arbor pictures since I am there all the time. If you want to see them then go to, http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...k/Ann%20Arbor/

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    Fayetteville, AR is a nice little college town. The growth is doing a pretty good job of killing it, but you're in the Ozarks, which make for some nice scenery. The UofA is a pretty good place to study, even if they don't have a planning program. Dickson St. is going upscale, with both good and bad that came along with that.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    How about Tempe, AZ. Home to Arizona State University and Playboy just ranked it as the third best party scool in the country. The weather is hot but so are the co-eds, PAC-10 football, its always sunny and the school is large enough where you can major in just about anything, including planning. Tempe has a great nightlife, above average music scene, and your are 30 minutes from Phoenix.
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Registered
    Mar 2006

Iowa State, Western Illinois and U. of Iowa

Iowa State University (undergrad) in Ames, IA: the campus is beautiful, nice mixture of old and new, with wonderful landscaping and a park-like feel. It was the country's first land-grant institution. Just south of campus is a little commercial area refered to as "campus town", with bars, tattoo parlors, lots of pizza joints and other restaurants, especially ethnic stuff, copy centers, and movie theater and the like. I've heard the area isn't in the best shape now. Apartments and rented out houses are scattered throughout the entire city, with a good bus system, so you could bus it to class even if you lived super far from campus. It was a good place to go to school, friendly, diverse and not too overwhelming. Though it is kind of in the middle of nowhere, they bring a lot of big name musical acts there to their collisium. And Des Moines is just a 30 minute drive away.

Western Illinois University (grad) in Macomb, IL: after being spoiled by the beauty at Iowa State, WIU and Macomb was a complete dud to me. Most class buildings look to be built around the same time, in the same light-colored brick. Virtually no landscaping on campus. I wasn't use to seeing huge patches of dirt and broken sidewalks, coming from Iowa State. Bus system only hung around campus, and you had to drive to get to any bars or restaurants. Way too many cars and student parking areas on campus. There is really nothing to do in this town but drink.

University of Iowa in Iowa City, IA: Though I never took classes at U of I, I was a regular there since high school, visiting friends and hanging out. Iowa City is a wonderful place. Very progressive and diverse, with campus buildings not too far apart, but integrated into the downtown. Students do a lot of biking and walking there. Use to be a very popular mall right downtown, but it has pretty much closed when a bigger mall was built miles away, on the outskirts near the interstate. There are still lots of ecletic shops and eateries located less than two blocks from most class buildings, and a great nightlife within walking distance from all the dorms and most student apartments.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    In my mind, the ideal college town is Tucson, AZ. It's a large college town--900,000 in the metropolitan area--slightly larger than Syracuse, Madison, and Knoxville, and slightly smaller than Austin, Rochester, or Albany. It's not small enough to be stifling (Athens, OH) and not surrounded by endless suburban sprawl (Tempe/Phoenix). The campus is beautiful, expansive, and central; it makes up a district in itself. Immediately surrounding the campus are student-oriented apartment complexes and quaint rental homes in historic districts. There are even two distinctly different, [I]walkable[I], transit-served commercial areas. University Avenue has the requisite chain clothing stores, sub shops/pizza parlors, and always-crowded bars, while Fourth Avenue a few blocks away retains the hippie/counterculture feel of the 1970s. Everywhere you go, you feel as if you're in Wildcat Nation. The red-and-blue "A" logo is ubiquitous, and Wildcat athletics are followed relentlessly by the entire town. Yes, it really does grind to a halt when Arizona basketball makes the Final Four.

Add to all this the feeling of being in the "Old Pueblo." Unlike soulless Phoenix, which sprawls for 30 miles in any direction, Tucson often looks and feels like a frontier settlement. Historic low-slung bungalows, the standard housing stock throughout the inner city and university neighborhoods, are done up in adobe and red brick. Streets are dusty, and instead of green lawns and palm trees (it's a travesty how many of these are in Phoenix today), front yards are done up with dirt or rocks and desert plants. The iconic saguaro cactus is everywhere. The city is surrounded by mountains on all four sides, including the fascinating Mount Lemmon just an hour to the northeast. It's a "sky island" 7000 feet above the city of Tucson with the southernmost ski runs in America. To the west is Gates Pass, home of what just might be the world's most beautiful sunsets (and a popular makeout point for years). Housing prices are substantially lower than in Phoenix, and should stay that way for awhile. Politics are substantially more liberal and activist than in conservative, sprawl-happy Phoenix. The Mexican food might just be the best in the country. Phoenix/Scottsdale is only 90 minutes away for people who need fancy-schmancy shopping, big-ticket sports, and traffic (there are only two freeways in Tucson). Finally, don't forget, IT'S A DRY HEAT. (Seriously though, 300 out of 365 days a year are picture-perfect.)

And did I mention the HOT coeds? Coming from the University of Chicago, it was like night and day.

hyde park

i love the hyde park area of chicago. the college associated with it is the University of Chicago. hyde park is a walking community. the museam of science and industry is along the southern boarder of HP and there are plenty ofsupermarkets, delis and resturants that are close by. i know the professors from the university get subsidies to live in the area.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Hyde Park (my current hometown) is great, except for a few problems:

*Accessibility isn't great--here on the Southeast Side we're isolated from the more vibrant neighborhoods of the North Side and downtown is 20 minutes away by car or Metra train. Those of us who live closer to campus are stuck with the 55 bus, a risky proposition any time of day, especially if you have an appointment.

*The neighborhood desperately needs: a real grocery store (Co-Op Markets is the only one, and would probably stop gouging Hyde Parkers if it wasn't a monopoly), clothing stores, 24-hour restaurants besides McDonald's and Dunkin' Donuts, and a few more independent coffee shops. A lot of people cry out for more bars, but with a university that is 70% graduate students and an undergraduate population of less than 4000 that is arguably the most studious of any university in America, I'm not sure we could support any more than the five we already have. We do have five liquor stores, though; that's three more than the entire city of Burlington, Vermont.

*In the past five years, the chains have overrun Hyde Park. Lake Park Avenue from 55th to 51st looks like a suburban sprawl strip, with a Walgreens, the Co-Op, Ace Hardware, Potbelly's, Office Depot, a parking lot, Borders, another parking lot, McDonald's, a BP gas station, and a KFC from south to north. With the sale of Harper Court to a private developer, we are about to lose even more independent businesses.

*The neighborhood is still perceived by a lot of people (especially Northwestern students, not to mention many of our own undergrads) as being unsafe. Although Hyde Park is actually one of the safer neighborhoods in the city, it still has a reputation that it needs to shake.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2006
    I was thinking of moving to Chicago, and was wondering about groceries. I've live din suburbia/exurbia all my life, so I was wondeirng hwo easy it is to get them in major urban areas.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Many of the Big Ten schools are in quintessential college towns. Ann Arbor, MI, Bloomington, IN, Iowa City, IA are the towns pretty much dominated by the colleges, in my opinion. East Lansing, MI and West Lafayette, IN seem a little less connected to the larger cities next to them (Lansing and Lafayette). Columbus, OH, Minneapolis, MN and Madison, WI are larger and double as state capitals, so the colleges don't seem to have as much impact there (maybe UW is an exception). Champaign/Urbana, IL seems to be outgrowing its college town feel, and while Evanston has a college town feel, it's surrounded by a huge metro area. State College, PA I know nothing about -- that was not Big Ten when I was in school.

In the Big Ten, I'd put Ann Arbor, Bloomington and Iowa City at the top as college towns, with Chambana, Madison and Evanston not far behind.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Been to two schools, soon to be three!

Portland State University It's urban being in the downtown of Portland, Oregon it's pretty liberal, lots of green space, near the Waterfront Park, lots of things to do. Not many people live on "campus" if you can even call it that, most students commute because to live downtown is out of reach for many.

For some pics of the campus http://www.pdx.edu/admissions/portland.html

Lander University in Greenwood, South Carolina. It's a small town of about 20K with 3K college students. Not much going on for students to do as it is small and very conservative. Lander is considered to be a suitcase college because most students return home on the weekends (90% of the students are from SC). The University is over 150 years old and has one historic building that has been preserved, the rest of the buildings are newer.

For some pics http://www.lander.edu/

Rutgers is up next for me for grad school which I am looking forward too!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Traits of college towns/cities
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 83
    Last post: 04 Feb 2011, 1:50 PM
  2. Post-college towns
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 31 Jan 2011, 1:27 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last post: 20 Sep 2010, 10:11 PM