Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: new photos of CALGARY: streets, skyline, people [broadband recommended]

new photos of CALGARY: streets, skyline, people [broadband recommended]

howdy. twelve hours of hellish air travel and one day of rest later (i hope robert milton's head falls off), i'm back from my annual trip to calgary. here are a number of photos for your enjoyment.

hope you enjoyed.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Thanks. More "urban" than I expected from Calgary for some reason. And I'm not exactly in Florida here, but man, that looks COLD.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Great shots.
    I especially like the Pub out of the house
    Looks cold to me too, and we're at 15F here....
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

when i took the sunny photos (of chinatown and downtown), it was a balmy 8c, but by the end of my trip -- the last several photos, taken on new year's day -- it was below -20c. brrr.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Christopher... nice photos! So since you go to Calgary every year, what do you think of its growth (both greenfield and redevelopment) in recent years? I like some of the new development in downtown, but the sprawling subdivisions on the north side of town are pretty scary. I guess it really isn't all that different in the Edmonton area, but for some reason Calgary's (sub)urban edge seems more shocking compared to the bald prairie that surrounds it. I only visit once or twice a year, and I'm always shocked when I go back by how much it has grown even in such a short time.
    Last edited by nerudite; 04 Jan 2005 at 3:47 PM.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    Christopher... nice photos! So since you go to Calgary every year, what do you think of it's growth (both greenfield and redevelopment) in recent years? I like some of the new development in downtown, but the sprawling subdivisions on the north side of town are pretty scary. I guess it really isn't all that different in the Edmonton area, but for some reason Calgary's (sub)urban edge seems more shocking compared to the bald prairie that surrounds it. I only visit once or twice a year, and I'm always shocked when I go back by how much it has grown even in such a short time.
    I get up to Calgary and Edmonton about once a year and I've had the same reaction to the way the cities have developed. Calgary just seems to go on forever. That said, I like the fact that Calgary's light rail line is powered (whole or in part) by electricity generated by a wind farm!
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

calgary sprawls endlessly to the north and south, but since my family lives on the west side, i rarely see the full expanse of suburbia. still, after virtually no westward growth in the entire time i grew up there, the subdivisions now seem to be spreading west towards the rockies.

the sprawl is nothing new, though. what is really striking is how much progress the inner city has made over just the past two years. there are now dozens of highrise residential developments underway and far more activity than i ever remembered. some of the new condos planned and under construction are vastly superior, in terms of both their design and their urbanity, to the schlock built from the late 90s until very recently (see the downtown west end on how not to build highrise condos). i was always somewhat pessimistic that calgary's inner city would ever undergo a radical, vancouveresque transformation, but now i'm hopeful.

the c-train is also undergoing an ambitious expansion and ridership has exploded (222,000 daily passengers). the city has always been booming but now it's finally growing up.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Wow...

I remember Calgary being (what I would call) a compact city back in 1993......From the sounds of it, Alberta/Calgary has allowed the endless sprawl (americana style) to occur....it really is true that Calgary is about 20 years behind Denver in population/development and urbanized area, at least that seems to be the pattern....

2001 Rank 2001
    Rank 1996 Area1 Density2
    Toronto** (Ontario) 4,682,897 1 1 5,902.74 793.3
    Montreal (Quebec) 3,426,350 2 2 4,047.35 846.6
    Vancouver* 1,986,965 3 3 2,878.52 690.3
    Ottawa–Hull 1,063,664 4 4 5,318.36 200.0
    Calgary (Alberta) 951,395 5 6 5,083.00 187.2
    Edmonton (Alberta) 937,845 6 5 9,418.62 99.6

Metro Denver population of 2,538,199 4,530-square-miles
    Skilled Adoxographer
    I have two emotions....Silence and Rage

Thanks for the cheap tour Christopher -- and no jet lag, either!

I have a question you may be able to help me with. What purpose do these second story doors serve? Snow removal? Fire codes? Such doors are quite uncommon here in the lower midwest of the US.

Je suis Charlie

i was wondering that myself. i would guess that they serve to access a second-floor balcony, like the house on the far left. the other two seem to have removed the railings.

Registered
    May 2003

Good Job & Great Shots

Well done and some striking similarities to my "cow town," Denver! In fact some of those residential shots look just like the West Highlands neighborhood (32nd/Lowell) and the downtown commercial with the light rail could easily be our 16th St. Mall. I'd like to get up there some time for the "Canadian Rocky experience."

Registered
    Jan 2005
    thanks, those were great! I couldn't believe all of the people out walking around (even biking) in those cold conditons. I really liked the pedestrian streets too. There were some definite intriguing architectural designs. I think I may have to visit there now!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 13 Jun 2007, 1:45 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 20 Apr 2007, 3:51 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last post: 25 Jul 2006, 10:41 AM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last post: 16 Dec 2004, 4:07 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last post: 26 Apr 2004, 12:22 PM