Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Ugly Buildings

Registered
    Aug 2001

Ugly Buildings

I noticed that Dan posted a pic that he titled "Orlando FL, ugliest building in the world." I think we have an assignment for the weekend: top that...I'll probably start with my office.

(mods: if this needs to be moved to another forum, ok with me.)

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Here is my nomination for ugliest building;

The Tricorn Centre, Portsmouth, UK. Absolutely beautiful. I believe it is about to be demolished. I have more pictures if anyone is interested.....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    As promised, the building in which my office is located. Who here works in an uglier building? Development Services Department, yeah sure.

Two views from the front.

And the back entrance (where I enter and exit).

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    As promised, the building in which my office is located. Who here works in an uglier building? Development Services Department, yeah sure.
    You work in a hangar? (or it could also be a flim studio)

My nominee:
    This will be (AFAIK) a future hostel or apart hotel...

Click on the image to see full size.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Looks as if you work in some sort of ex-military radar station that the city bought on the cheap / inherited due to neglect and abandonment.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    Looks as if you work in some sort of ex-military radar station that the city bought on the cheap / inherited due to neglect and abandonment.
    It's a former warehouse converted to offices by the county. A portion of the EOC is slightly visible on the left edge of the first picture. All of it located in a catagory 3, coastal high hazard area (hurricanes). It leaks, HVAC is inconsistent, and it has sick building syndrome . But it ain't in Idaho ....Bawwwhahaha
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Dec 2003
    That's where you work?

How do people find you in that place?
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

     
    Registered
    Jan 2005

Royal Sun Alliance Building, Liverpool. A true blot on an otherwise awesome skyline.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    The Tricorn Centre, Portsmouth, UK. Absolutely beautiful. I believe it is about to be demolished. I have more pictures if anyone is interested.....
    Demolished! Damn! I was planning to use that place as a set for my Logan's Run remake.

I had an interview at what may be one of the ugliest offices I've ever seen. Incidentally, this company did planning and civil engineering for national homebuilder Toll Brothers. Taking a picture of it would mean risking damage to my camera. It was like a converted strip center that they put this little cloth canopy entrance on. The asphalt came right up to the walls on all sides, no transition. I think there was a used car lot or car repair place next door. The walls were covered with that faux ashlar block...you can imagine. When they wrote me back, I told them, in so many words, that I didn't like their building and didn't think I would be happy there.
    Adrift in a sea of beige

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator
    That's where you work?

How do people find you in that place?
    Yes, that's where I work . But I don't want them to find me....that's the point. We're looking at moving to better digs soon. I'm gonna miss the windowless palace of a quonset hut I'm parked in (not) Oh, and did I mention [yelling out the door] it ain't in f'ing Idaho [/stopped yelling out the door].
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Easy... the ugliest bldg in the world is Nashville's Batman Building:

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The good, the bad, and the ugly
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 56
    Last post: 19 Jan 2015, 9:00 AM
  2. Doing the MPA before planning: good, bad, ugly?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 21 Mar 2007, 10:36 AM
  3. Ugly towns
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 11 Jan 2005, 3:00 PM
  4. Ugly Generalizations?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 56
    Last post: 01 Oct 2003, 10:39 AM
  5. You want ugly