Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Super Bowl

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004

Super Bowl

Anyone doing anything fun or having any big parties for the Big Game this Sunday? Lets hear about it!!
    I personally am not sure what I am doing. Few parties around here, but watching those damn Patriots try to win it again just doesnt sound like fun to me!! (I am just bitter cuz my Rams suck right now

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I don't know enough NFL fans to put together a decent superbowl party nor do I know anyone who's having one.

I will probably subject Mrs. Tranplanner to the event...she can always knit or something

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    Anyone doing anything fun or having any big parties for the Big Game this Sunday? Lets hear about it!!
    I personally am not sure what I am doing. Few parties around here, but watching those damn Patriots try to win it again just doesnt sound like fun to me!! (I am just bitter cuz my Rams suck right now
    Small get together with family....nothing too big. I'll be at my parents rooting for "those damn Patriots." Such a long way from the days of rooting for the Pats when they were terrible, lucky to win a couple of games a year....

And Wes says "agahh, pfffts."

Which translated, is GO PATS!
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 01 Feb 2005 at 9:19 AM.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jul 2004
    The last few years, I've participated in the Ski 4 Women. It's a local ski event to raise funds for a women's shelter. It's more of a social event than ski race. Your costume is a lot more important than your results.

This year, I'm not sure what I'm doing as we don't have enough snow to hold the event and I'm not interested in running the course.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    hgughhgugugu those Damn Pats!!!! Guess it'll be a fun game for you!! I don't really hate the Pats I am just so tired of them winning all the damn time !!!!

Registered
    Nov 2003
    MS, Not Margaritaville, though we are building one
    I don't think it will be a party, but plenty of pizza and beer will be on hand.
    “Ahh! Beer. So many choices. And it makes so little difference."
    - Bender

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I don't care all that much about this game. However, I will be cheering for the Patriots mainly because their attitude and demeanor remind me a lot of my beloved San Antonio Spurs. The coaches are even a little similar in their style, although Popovich is more prone to getting pissed-off and ejected.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    No party, just my son and wife maybe at my in-laws house. GO PATS. I still remember when Sports Illustrated referred to them as the PATSY'S on the front cover so it is sweet to see them on top. However, I can understand some of the other football city concerns. Can you believe of the 39 Superbowls we will actually have been in 5 of them!
    Planning is much like acting, as my old theater professor used to say, "If you sin, sin boldly, only you know if you are ad libbing." I follow this adage almost daily.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Fly Eagles, Fly! (Gotta go for the underdog)

I will be working the federal operations center this week as part of my super bowl duties. Otherwise, I am just staying out of the way of downtown since the game will be going on and will be insane. I had thought about volunteering and being at the game, but I didn't want to deal with the out-of-towners. The town is super bowl crazy here so maybe I will go to some the NFL sanctioned events.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I'll probably be in an airplane coming home from Montreal. Might make it home in time to see the end of the game.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    This Steeler fan is cheering for the Patriots. I have a lot of respect for this franchise. I dig their QB (University of Michigan) Tom Brady.

We Steelers plan to catch and pass the Pats next year. Until then......

(Interesting fact: Back in the 1940's the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Philadelphia Eagles formed a single team....."Steagles".....I think because of a lack of players due to WWII.)

Terrell Owens is mouthy and good. I want to see him shut up. I do like Donovan McNabb.

Exciting party at Bear's den, with Bear huddling in blanket, drinking soda pop or water. Yum.

Bear Predicting 27-17, Pats
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Scrapple? Check!
    Philly Steak Sandwich? Check (hold the onions, please)
    Shoo-Fly-Pie? Check!
    Rolling Rock? Check, check, check!

Go Iggles! 24-20
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Good lord. Superbowl is almost more important that Christmas to my husband's family. Every sits with their pool sheets spread in a semi circle around them so they can check them periodically. And then the talk during the most important part - the commercials! sigh.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    A co-worker is having a party... I am bringing a dish to pass and a date. The Eagles will win this year... it will happen, and it will be great. (did I mention that this co-worker will have the hot tub open, and warmed up with a TV set up outside so we can watch the game)

(I can’t beleave I am going to be rooting for something from PA.. )
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Jul 2002
    [QUOTE=Gedunker]Scrapple? Check!
    Shoo-Fly-Pie? Check!
    Rolling Rock? Check, check, check!/QUOTE]

OMG I thought I was the only person outside of my family who ate scrapple!
    (yes, a guilty secret comes out of the closet )

No big plans for SB -- most likely watch it at a friend's place (big TV!) but don't really care about either team....except the commercials!

Has anyone heard about what types of ads we can expect to see?

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    [QUOTE=Floridays]
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Scrapple? Check!
    Shoo-Fly-Pie? Check!
    Rolling Rock? Check, check, check!/QUOTE]

OMG I thought I was the only person outside of my family who ate scrapple!
    (yes, a guilty secret comes out of the closet )

No big plans for SB -- most likely watch it at a friend's place (big TV!) but don't really care about either team....except the commercials!

Has anyone heard about what types of ads we can expect to see?
    Alright, I thought I was just reading wrong but I have to ask, What is Scrapple? And while I am at it, What is Shoo-Fly-Pie??/ I lead a sheltered life, never heard of these dishes, someone please enlighten me

Shoo-fly Pie:

Shoo Fly pie is extremely popular in our area. In fact, it's probably the most popular icon of the PA Dutch area. Everyone has their own little secret, use this molasses, that butter, etc. The trick to a good pie is definitely in the molasses. These are the recipes I came up with. I have not tried them all, see what you think.

Crust

2 C. flour
    1 tbsp. salt
    2/3 C. Butter Flavored Crisco,divided
    5-7 tbsp. Ice water
    1 egg
    Crumbs

4 C.flour
    2 C. sugar
    1 tbsp. baking soda
    1 C. butter or margarine
    Filling

2 C. unsulphured molasses
    2 c. warm water
    1 egg
    2 tsp. baking soda
    Heat oven to 400 degrees.

Crust: Combine flour and salt in medium bowl. Cut in 1/3 c. Butter Flavor Crisco using pastry blender (or 2 knives) until flour blends into fine crumbs. Cut in remaining 1/3 c. Crisco until coarse crumbs form.

Stir in egg.

Sprinkle with water, one tbsp.. at a time. Toss lightly with fork until dough forms a ball. Press between hands to form two 5-6 in. "pancakes".

Flour rolling surface and rolling pin lightly. Roll one "pancake" Into circle. Trim 1 in. larger than upside-down 9-inch pie plate. Fold into quarters. Unfold and press into pie plate. Flute. repeat for second pie shell.

Crumbs: Combine flour, sugar and baking soda in large bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender (or 2 knives) until crumbs form. Set aside.

Filling: Combine molasses, water, egg and baking soda in large bowl.

Beat at low speed of electric mixer until blended. Add half the crumb mixture to filling. Beat at low speed just until blended. Pour into unbaked pie shells, filling a little over half full (you may not use all the filling). Sprinkle remaining crumbs over both pies.

Bake at 400 degrees for 10 min. Reduce oven to 375'F. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes on cooling rack. Place each pie inside separate plastic bag. Fasten open end with twistie. Cool completely on counter. Makes two 9-inch pies.
    You probably don't want the details on Scrapple But it is yummy, in a different kind of way.
    Warren Spahn

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Shoo-fly Pie:

You probably don't want the details on Scrapple But it is yummy, in a different kind of way.
    Well the Shoo-Fly-Pie sounds alright, I may try it to take to the party I am going to, but please tell me what scrapple is????

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    but please tell me what scrapple is????
    See this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapple
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Goto Acme market in New Jersey and get some scrapple.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    OOOKKKKKKKAAAAYYYYY, thanks...I wont ask again...eeewwwww pork trimmings and scraps??? I love cornmeal/cornbread but that sounds just horrible...

Jaxspra: I told you that you didn't want to know....
    Warren Spahn

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Jaxspra: I told you that you didn't want to know....
    You were right and I asked for it
    For those of you that like it, more power to ya...I on the otherhand will stick to my chicken wings, blue chees dressing, chili and cold beer this Sunday!!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    A gathering with:

My wife, brother, brother's gal (Pats fan ), dog, some beers, a grill and some food for that grill.

... I really do not care who wins since my team(s) are out.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    OOOKKKKKKKAAAAYYYYY, thanks...I wont ask again...eeewwwww pork trimmings and scraps??? I love cornmeal/cornbread but that sounds just horrible...
    You definitely DON'T want to read the ingredients on a package of scrapple (it refers to "snouts") but believe it or not, it is delish! I spent the first 12 years of my life in Baltimore and it was really popular there.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Cyburbia Super Bowl
    Fantasy Football
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 31 Dec 2012, 5:00 PM
  2. Super Bowl Ad favorites ?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 07 Feb 2012, 4:38 PM
  3. Super Bowl