Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33

Thread: AICP in May??

  1. #1
         
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,519

    AICP in May??

    Anyone torturing themselves and taking this silly test in May? I am, for the second time. I didn't study for it the first time and now after taking it I am glad I didnt waste my time, there was nothing on that test that I could have prepared myself for. Just wondering if anyone is taking it and if anyone has any advice on how to study for this test??? I have practice tests, I am hoping that will help, the way that the terst is setup (on the computer) was half of my difficulty.

  2. #2
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    17,558
    yep........
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  3. #3
    Cyburbian sisterceleste's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    No Where Man
    Posts
    1,519
    The thing that helped me the most were some tapes I bought from APA (now come in CDs) about subject matter on the test. I listened to them over and over and over again during my daily commute. Boring stuff sunk in after a while.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

  4. #4
    I am taking the test in May. I signed up for the OSU practice course for $75 http://www.class.osu.edu/ It has been very helpful. I took the pre-test and got 61%, then went through the lesson plans and have taken two more of the practice tests (they have 6) and gotten a 71% and 82%. I think I'm finally getting used to the crazy wording.

  5. #5
    Cyburbian SW MI Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,153
    I am, your post kicked me into gear to apply!

    What the heck does this mean anyway:

    Applying a planning process appropriate to the situation.
    This means a process which is appropriate to its place and situation in: (1) the number and order of its steps (e.g., problem/opportunity definition, goal setting, generating alternate strategies, strategy choice, implementation, evaluation), (2) its orientation to the future, to value change, and to resource constraints; (3) its quality of research and analysis; and (4) its format of policy, program, or plan proposal.

    It's "Criterion 3" on the application. How are you supposed to answer that? If I'm having trouble already, I think I will be screwed on the exam.

  6. #6
    Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    7,540
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    I am, your post kicked me into gear to apply!

    What the heck does this mean anyway:

    Applying a planning process appropriate to the situation.
    This means a process which is appropriate to its place and situation in: (1) the number and order of its steps (e.g., problem/opportunity definition, goal setting, generating alternate strategies, strategy choice, implementation, evaluation), (2) its orientation to the future, to value change, and to resource constraints; (3) its quality of research and analysis; and (4) its format of policy, program, or plan proposal.

    It's "Criterion 3" on the application. How are you supposed to answer that? If I'm having trouble already, I think I will be screwed on the exam.
    E-mail me or PM me and I can send you a sample of how I responded to the AICP app a few years ago.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

  7. #7
         
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,519
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    I am, your post kicked me into gear to apply!

    What the heck does this mean anyway:

    Applying a planning process appropriate to the situation.
    This means a process which is appropriate to its place and situation in: (1) the number and order of its steps (e.g., problem/opportunity definition, goal setting, generating alternate strategies, strategy choice, implementation, evaluation), (2) its orientation to the future, to value change, and to resource constraints; (3) its quality of research and analysis; and (4) its format of policy, program, or plan proposal.

    It's "Criterion 3" on the application. How are you supposed to answer that? If I'm having trouble already, I think I will be screwed on the exam.
    Yep the test is just as bad!! It sucked for me, I don't know why. Well I know why I didnt study (the night before) and I got there and was blown away. You will do fine on it, just attend any study groups available to you and go over the stuff. I am doing that this time. It isnt that the test is hard, it just isnt relevant, thats what I found to be so hard about it!! Good luck and if I find my answer to #3 I will post it, thing is I didnt have to fill out the app again this time cuz I FLUNKED the silly thing the first and all my info is still there for them

  8. #8
    Cyburbian The One's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where Valley Fever Lives
    Posts
    6,974

    Yup....

    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    I am, your post kicked me into gear to apply!

    What the heck does this mean anyway:

    Applying a planning process appropriate to the situation.
    This means a process which is appropriate to its place and situation in: (1) the number and order of its steps (e.g., problem/opportunity definition, goal setting, generating alternate strategies, strategy choice, implementation, evaluation), (2) its orientation to the future, to value change, and to resource constraints; (3) its quality of research and analysis; and (4) its format of policy, program, or plan proposal.

    It's "Criterion 3" on the application. How are you supposed to answer that? If I'm having trouble already, I think I will be screwed on the exam.
    This is the systematic approach to planning that is all too lacking in places where City Management is trying to get rid of the middle man (planners) and simply declaring that the task must be done by yesterday and forget about the systematic approach to find out if it will work in the first place This tends to relegate us planners to processing drones..... Sorry, but this one touches a nerve with me and is an important part of planning that seems to be getting lost in the hustle and bustle of management practices......sad....very sad I think
    Skilled Adoxographer

  9. #9
    Cyburbian SW MI Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,153
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    This is the systematic approach to planning that is all too lacking in places where City Management is trying to get rid of the middle man (planners) and simply declaring that the task must be done by yesterday and forget about the systematic approach to find out if it will work in the first place This tends to relegate us planners to processing drones..... Sorry, but this one touches a nerve with me and is an important part of planning that seems to be getting lost in the hustle and bustle of management practices......sad....very sad I think
    Was that your answer

  10. #10
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Who cares.
    Posts
    1,038
    I refuse to take it because a) from postings here it doesn't seem that relevent in most places and b)I can't afford to take it. Maybe in a few years.
    I don't dream. I plan.

  11. #11
         
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,519
    Quote Originally posted by Plannerbabs
    I refuse to take it because a) from postings here it doesn't seem that relevent in most places and b)I can't afford to take it. Maybe in a few years.
    The only reason I can afford it is because the City is paying for it (a second time at that) I firgure I might as well try one more time. If I had to pay for it on my own, there would be no way I could afford it or even really want to take it.

  12. #12
    Cyburbian michaelskis's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Posts
    12,000
    Well, I don't know if Maister is going to post it, but our supervisor is getting on his case to take the test.

    So lets bring this thread back and talk about what does Maister need to do to get the "prefect AICP score"

    What questions are on the test, what should he study, what further suggestions would you suggest, what committee member will he need to bribe, and what books does he need to memorize?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

  13. #13
    Cyburbian GeogPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Capital Region, NY
    Posts
    1,429
    Can anyone suggest some good studyt materials? The CPC study manual (2004) talks about a packet for $195 for members. The AICP website identifies 3 sources...

    Where should I spend (more) money?
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

    We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

  14. #14
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    De Noc
    Posts
    17,521
    Quote Originally posted by GeogPlanner
    Can anyone suggest some good study materials?
    Always begin with the Green Book.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)


    Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

  15. #15
    Cyburbian Emeritus Chet's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    South Milwaukee
    Posts
    8,935
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    E-mail me or PM me and I can send you a sample of how I responded to the AICP app a few years ago.
    I can admit, this came in very handy!

    Yes, I am taking it. Now I just need the time (and materiasl) to study. Then again, how can you study for a test that doesn;t have a basis in reality...

  16. #16
    Cyburbian GeogPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Capital Region, NY
    Posts
    1,429
    I've got the green bible in the 3rd edition...but my question is more along the lines of these 3rd party study materials (planetizen is one for instance). Are there any that are worth it? Unless someone suggests otherwise, I've ruled out going to a lecture in DC for a day...
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

    We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

  17. #17
    Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    7,540
    Quote Originally posted by GeogPlanner
    Can anyone suggest some good studyt materials? The CPC study manual (2004) talks about a packet for $195 for members. The AICP website identifies 3 sources...

    Where should I spend (more) money?
    Here's what I studied in addition to the Green Book:

    A 1991 CPC Study Manual
    Neighborhood Planning by Jones
    The Planner's Use of Information by Dandekar
    Classic Readings in Urban Planning by Stein
    Contempory Urban Planning by Levy
    and
    The Small Town Planning Handbook by Daniels, et al
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

  18. #18
    Cyburbian Plus Salmissra's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,066
    I found Carol Barrett's book on ethics helpful. She has a whole section with scenarios and what part of the AICP code to apply, and why. It was helpful for understanding what was implied, in addition to flat out easy to understand stuff.
    Refresh your stats understanding - review the basics. Don't buy a whole book on it - just refresh what you know about mean, median and mode, and be prepare to calculate them.
    Study groups are very helpful. Mine met twice a week over lunch. Those who came regularly passed.
    Planetizen's prep course was helpful. We would print off the exam and quiz each other. It helps you understand the funky wording they use, so you're more familiar with it when taking the test. I've not seen any of the other on-line test preps, but I can hope they're useful, too.
    I also used the Chapter President's Guide, I think it was from 2001.

    As for the test having random stuff on it - yes. Be prepared to have a couple of questions that make no sense, and all the answers given make even less sense than the question. Don't fret - just guess and move on. You can always come back to it again later.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

  19. #19
    Moving at my own pace....... Planderella's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 1998
    Location
    NOLA
    Posts
    4,468
    I've been approved to take it since 2001. I've taken it twice and each time missed the mark by like 5 points. They say the third time is the charm, eh?
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

  20. #20
    Cyburbian Emeritus Chet's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    South Milwaukee
    Posts
    8,935
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    I've been approved to take it since 2001. I've taken it twice and each time missed the mark by like 5 points. They say the third time is the charm, eh?
    I am scared to death about failing.

  21. #21
         
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,519
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    I am scared to death about failing.
    Uh, me too. This will be my second time taking it. I didn't even want to tell my boss I was taking it again but he had to sign the PO to pay for it So there was no way not to tell him.

    I just decided against a lecture on the test. I have got to start studying for it.

    What is everyone else using as a study guide? I have a sample test, the green book and a few stuy guide materials...any other suggestions? Has anyone attended any of the test lectures?

  22. #22
    Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    7,540
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    What is everyone else using as a study guide? I have a sample test, the green book and a few stuy guide materials...any other suggestions? Has anyone attended any of the test lectures?
    I actually helped run an exam prep workshop for my APA Chapter. Basically, I referred people to the reading list I used above (use the more recent CPC Study Guide though....and KNOW THE ETHICS CODE) and went over exam techniques. Unfortunately, I don't have a grasp on how the new computerized test runs, since I took the old multiple choice exam booklet, fill in the dot exam. If it's possible, try to go through the entire exam, answer those questions you immediately know, then go back and answer the tougher questions. Use a process of elimination....get rid of the choices you know are incorrect. When left with more than one possibility, guess. I find that this type of strategy works well in a standardized multiple choice test. However, I don't know if you can take the computerized exam this way.....
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

  23. #23
    Cyburbian SW MI Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,153
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    I am scared to death about failing.
    Me too, thats why I have been putting it off for so long.

  24. #24
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    De Noc
    Posts
    17,521
    One thought -
    Think of the least likely person you know who has passed it,
    so if they can so will you.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)


    Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

  25. #25
         
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,519
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    I actually helped run an exam prep workshop for my APA Chapter. Basically, I referred people to the reading list I used above (use the more recent CPC Study Guide though....and KNOW THE ETHICS CODE) and went over exam techniques. Unfortunately, I don't have a grasp on how the new computerized test runs, since I took the old multiple choice exam booklet, fill in the dot exam. If it's possible, try to go through the entire exam, answer those questions you immediately know, then go back and answer the tougher questions. Use a process of elimination....get rid of the choices you know are incorrect. When left with more than one possibility, guess. I find that this type of strategy works well in a standardized multiple choice test. However, I don't know if you can take the computerized exam this way.....
    Thanks, I will get a hold of those materials. And in my opinion, the computerized test is more difficult. I don't mean in the material covered, just in its form. I am used to testing on paper, I never used computer testing in college. You can go back and look at your answers but its more difficult and I like seeing the entire test layed out in front of me when testing. I truly believe the teest format is one reason my first score was so low.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

  1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 02 Apr 2008, 1:46 PM
  2. Are you AICP?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 18 Nov 2004, 10:27 AM
  3. APA and/or AICP?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 05 Aug 2003, 11:35 AM
  4. APA and/or AICP?
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 05 Aug 2003, 11:35 AM
  5. AICP or no AICP
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 29 Dec 2000, 4:51 PM