Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

Poll results: Will you buy a powerball ticket?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

4 40.00%
  • Yes... but only 1 ticket

3 30.00%
  • Yes, more than 1 ticket

3 30.00%
  • Why do you hate America?

1 10.00%
Multiple choice poll
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Powerball Mania

Registered
    Apr 2003

Powerball Mania

Well, it has happened. The powerball jackpot is now at $675,000,000 and is now the largest lottery payout in history. There are some that are saying that it will likely approach $800,000,000 by the time of the drawing. If that happens, the cash option will likely be around $600,000,000 so after taxes, you are going to get around $300,000,000. I have a feeling there will be a line at the counters and vending machines, but I don't think it will result in any mass craziness. I do wonder how many people will be dropping $100 to buy 50 tickets or something.

Also do you think that buying more than one ticket really improves your odds all that much. Sure, if you bought 10,000 you might win something, but the odds per ticket are still the same, and those odds are low.

I will be spending $2.00 to buy one ticket. I have spent money on dumber things.

Will you?
    "The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism." - George Washington

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'm still reeling in disbelief over how I didn't win the Publishers Clearinghouse Sweepstakes. I'll have to talk to my therapist about whether or not I should by powerball tickets.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    participate in an Office Pool and buy my own.

I'll drop $10 on five ducats. You can't win if you don't have a ticket.
    Batter up!

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I just buy a ticket. If I was meant to get struck by lightning, twice, then it would just happen with one ticket.

By the way, you have better odds of getting struck by lightning twice in your life than winning a powerball.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Ever since I took that public finance class in college, I have not bought any lotto tickets. It's a form of voluntary taxation. I also took a finite math (probability) class in college and actually understood it at a certain level. Like dvdneal said, you stand a better chance of getting struck by lightening twice than winning.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Ever since I took that public finance class in college, I have not bought any lotto tickets. It's a form of voluntary taxation. I also took a finite math (probability) class in college and actually understood it at a certain level. My takeaway was that you were better served taking your money and flushing it down the john.
    My friends policy on lotto stemmed from his parents avid playing weekly. Every time you feel like playing lotto, put a dollar in a jar. Before you know it you'll have a million dollars. At least long before you ever win the lottery.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    My friends policy on lotto stemmed from his parents avid playing weekly. Every time you feel like playing lotto, put a dollar in a jar. Before you know it you'll have a million dollars. At least long before you ever win the lottery.
    That actually sounds like a pretty good idea.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I played $15 worth last yesterday, so I'll be in for that again for Saturday. I play the doubler because if I ever win and could have doubled it for a $ I'd be pissed for not doing it.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I'll drop $10 every other month or more to play & will probably do it before the next drawing.

If I win, I promise I'll give a couple million to Cyburbia to "help out the needs of our community"
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Ever since I took that public finance class in college, I have not bought any lotto tickets. It's a form of voluntary taxation. I also took a finite math (probability) class in college and actually understood it at a certain level. Like dvdneal said, you stand a better chance of getting struck by lightening twice than winning.
    I agree and normally, I would not spend the money on it, but for this round I am seeing it as a form of entertainment. As for the dollar in the jar, I hope he is doing more than just dropping a dollar a week in a jar. Otherwise it will take him (or her) almost 19,231 years to get 1 million. .
    "The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism." - George Washington

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I agree and normally, I would not spend the money on it, but for this round I am seeing it as a form of entertainment. As for the dollar in the jar, I hope he is doing more than just dropping a dollar a week in a jar. Otherwise it will take him (or her) almost 19,231 years to get 1 million. .
    His parents used to spend like $20 a week so more like 900 years, but it was at a time he thought they really couldn't afford it and never some them win anything decent beyond maybe $20.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    His parents used to spend like $20 a week so more like 900 years, but it was at a time he thought they really couldn't afford it and never some them win anything decent beyond maybe $20.
    In that case, if you invest $20 a week in a good growth stock mutual fund, you could end up with a million dollars at by retirement. (age 18 to 65).

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    In that case, if you invest $20 a week in a good growth stock mutual fund, you could end up with a million dollars at by retirement. (age 18 to 65).
    Until some corporate or financial type decides to screw with things and play games with money. Then you are SOL. We learned nothing from the great recession.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2002
    I participate in the office pool when the stakes get really high and on occasion I will buy a PowerBall or MegaMillion ticket if I'm in a store and the mood hits me. I figure the thoughts and dreams I have about winning are worth the occassional 2 buck expense. Lord knows I've wasted plenty of money on even more foolish/stupid things.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Jun 2004
    You have a 1 in 292 million chance of winning the powerball the odds were better before they made changes last year. It's worth mentioning that you have a 1 in 23.4 trillion chance of being hit by space junk. If get hit by space junk that's when it's time to play the lottery.

I play occasionally, I doubt that I'll buy a ticket this time around because a 1/2 billion dollars is more than I need and I don't feel especially lucky today. Maybe that will change between now and the drawing.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Until some corporate or financial type decides to screw with things and play games with money. Then you are SOL. We learned nothing from the great recession.
    [sarcasm] What, oh that would never happen. It's like real estate. It only goes up in value. [/sarcasm]

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Odds for a double lightning strike in your life, 1:9,000,000. For those that believe in independent odds (that flipping a coin is 50/50 no matter how many times you flip it), you must hit 1:700,000 odds twice for any given year.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Minion Mania
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 30 Aug 2013, 2:17 PM
  2. iPhone Mania
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 23 Sep 2012, 7:19 PM
  3. Powerball Office Pool
    Friday Afternoon Club