Registered
    Jun 2003
    Anybody watching/listening to PBS Soundstage -

Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris ?
    http://www.pbs.org/wttw/soundstage/k...s/featured.htm

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Wow.. I put a little chart from Last Fm in my sig to show the last 5 songs I've listened and no-one comments... oh well... I could have put more than 5 songs but that would have made it too big for the sig, and that would have been annoying.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    The Buffett concert LadyBuc and I attended in Feb set a record for the amount of food and beverages consumed at any event at the Amway (f/k/a TD Waterhouse) Arena (this is where the Magic plays, BTW). Previous record was set last time Buffett was in town. Somehow I think the record is due more to beverages than food....

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I have a 16 y.o. that listens to the stuff I listened to when I was (near) his age, AC-DC, Pink Floyd, STYX, Seager, etc., Doesn't have a lot of patience for current stuff. This kid is going somewhere. Maybe this belongs in the Brag thread!?

DLK

edit: and he loves Buffet!

Registered
    Nov 2006
    I've never really *gotten* the whole Jimmy Buffet thing. If someone can give me the in to understanding this phenomena I'd be ever so appreciative.
    How about you take a gander at making an executive decision for once, huh?

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Another Stack

Here's the latest stack of CD's that I took in to the office.....

We've Got A Live One Here (Commander Cody & His Lost Planet Airmen)
    Satellite Rides (Old 97's)
    Top Ten Hits (Elvis) (2 CD Set)
    Anthology (Blues Project) (2 CD Set)
    On Their Corner (The Dells)
    Highway 61 Revisited (Bob Dylan)
    Greatest Hits (Heart)
    Group Portrait (Chicago) (4 CD Box)
    The white album (Beatles)
    Return To Hicksville (Dan Hicks & His Hot Licks)
    OK Computer (Radiohead)

The usual off-beat collection (when comparing style-to-style, mode-to-mode). Cody is fun "Smoke, smoke that cigarette". The Blues Project was a mid-60's group that was "way ahead of its' time". Al Kooper was in the Project.

This Bear has always loved the tune "Stay in my corner" by The Dells. Great Chicago soul tune. The Beatles' white album, simply called "The Beatles" is usually on a Top 5 of all time list. One of my favorites.

Dan Hicks is a hoot. If you ever get a chance to listen to his stuff.....do it. You will "Feel like singing". OK Computer is filled with some of the most-haunting melodies. I love this album.

Number Bear.....Number Bear.....Number Bear.....Number Bear.....
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Bear, you have eclectic taste (like me).

Hear is my current office stack:

Straight Ahead (Count Basie)
    Disintegration (The Cure)
    Altered Beast (Matthew Sweet)
    This is Jazz 16 (Maynard Fergusen)
    Rock Spectacle (Barenaked Ladies)
    Green (REM)
    The Nightfly (Donald Fagan)
    Live at the Beacon (The New York Rock and Soul Revue)
    Harvest Moon (Neil Young)
    Good morning Vietnam (Soundtrack)
    Morph the Cat (Donal Fagen) - thanks l p!
    The Grand Tour (Aaron Neville)
    Fourplay - - eek, GRP Label!
    Let's Dance (David Bowie)
    1967-1970 (The Beatles)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I have all my '60's and '70's albums. Hopefully sisterceleste's younger daughter will be taking them when I move, she's kind of retro. Forgot to mention all the 45's, though... RJ has all the music (not that I have any affinity for it...), I have all the DVDs. I guess I'm just not a music person anymore.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Lets talk Radiohead.

Buffet tix go onsale this AM as well.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Jeff View post
    Lets talk Radiohead.
    What about Radiohead? Perhaps how I don't believe that everything brain fart that Thom Yorke produces is a work of prolific work of genius, and that I didn't care that much for Hail to the Thief, or that I consider The Bends and OK Computer as two of the best albums ever?

Interpol's Turn on the Bright Lights has made its way back into heavy rotation on the ol' iPod lately. After listening to it again and again I can't for the life of me figure out why they never made it bigger then they did. Is the music too inaccessible and mono-tonal? Does Interpol suck really bad at live shows? I just don't know...

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit View post
    Interpol's Turn on the Bright Lights has made its way back into heavy rotation on the ol' iPod lately. After listening to it again and again I can't for the life of me figure out why they never made it bigger then they did. Is the music too inaccessible and mono-tonal? Does Interpol suck really bad at live shows? I just don't know...
    Antics stays in heavy rotation at Chez Bubba - I apparently like inaccessible and monotonal (Joy Division and She Wants Revenge are also currently in heavy rotation). I don't think that live shows have much of an impact on a band's success (or lack therof) in this day and age - witness The Killers...they pretty much suck at live performances (in my opinion), yet they're wildly successful.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Kid A and Amnesiac 2 of the best albums ever

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Jeff View post
    Kid A and Amnesiac 2 of the best albums ever
    You got me. How to Disappear Completely is one just one of the prettiest sad songs ever written.

Quote Originally posted by Bubba
    Antics stays in heavy rotation at Chez Bubba - I apparently like inaccessible and monotonal (Joy Division and She Wants Revenge are also currently in heavy rotation). I don't think that live shows have much of an impact on a band's success (or lack therof) in this day and age - witness The Killers...they pretty much suck at live performances (in my opinion), yet they're wildly successful.
    Sure, but the Killers are poppy, dancable band with a pretty lead singer. Or rather, they were a poppy, dancable band with a pretty singer. I enjoyed Hot Fuss, it was a kind of guilty pleasure eighties throwback kind of listen with some good karaoke worthy tunes. Sam's Town, however, is almost unlistenable. The first three songs are hook-gilled and such, the rest of the album just proves that they can't write lyrics to save their lives.

And yes, they've sucked every time I've seen them on TV live. I would like the opportunity to judge Interpol, but they don't seem to tour.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I see boiker joined the Last.Fm bandwagon.... Great! Anybody else around there?

EDIT: damn... I never thought that the announcer in my sig could break tables... but I guess that's what happens when I listen to Red Sparowes... song titles are paragraphs rather than sentences.... but considering that there are no lyrics... i.e. "Finally as that blazing sun shone down upon us did we know that true enemy was the voice of blind idolatry; And only then did we begin to think for ourselves", that's a pretty short and concise song title, isn't it?

Registered
    May 2003
    Anybody out there familiar with a 1980s band called Mark-Almond? It featured Jon Mark and Johnny Almond, both jazz-oriented dudes who had worked with a number of 1960s and 1970s jazz and rock musicians. I have a couple of their vinyl albums, including the super-dee-duper "Other People's Rooms", a wonderful album.

I just added a station to my Pandora collection, "Mark Almond". The second tune they played was "City", an incredible song.

Dang, I love music.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Nice find.

They could not find "Lighthouse"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Nice find.

They could not find "Lighthouse"
    Try "Lifehouse"

Off-topic:
    I'm reading back through this thread, and my word, I can't spell to save my life.

Registered
    May 2003
    biscuit.....I tried to find "Lighthouse" on Pandora. Couldn't find. Note that this is NOT "Lifehouse".....different band. Lighthouse is a horn band from Canada. winner of a few Canadian JUNO awards (hoser version of Grammy?) in the 1970s. They also did a Canadian TV special with the Royal Ballet of Winnipeg, and I believe it was called "Ballet High". I remember watching it on antenna-served black and white TV, coming to northwestern Ohio from Windsor, Ontario, Canada.

TOFB.....Sure hope you browse this thread, too, my horn band friend. I figured that music comments and discussions belong here rather than the Random Thread.

I found "What Is Hip?".....your Tons Of Fun Band mp3. Great job! I saved it on my PC. Is that a Hammond B3 that I hear?

Couple more sources for some great horn tunes.....

Chase. The band that Bill Chase put together had some great horn tunes, now often part of marching band packages. Trumpet-strong, especially their album titled "Ennea" (which I have). Listen to "Woman of the dark". Battle of the trumpets, I tell ya.

The Flock. Late 1960's Chicago-based horn band, very experimental. Their first album was incredible.....especially "Store Bought, Store Thought". Featured Jerry Goodman on violin.....he later played with Mahavishnu Orchestra.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    [

TOFB.....Sure hope you browse this thread, too, my horn band friend. I figured that music comments and discussions belong here rather than the Random Thread.

I found "What Is Hip?".....your Tons Of Fun Band mp3. Great job! I saved it on my PC. Is that a Hammond B3 that I hear?

Bear
    I guess the secret is out. That cut was made right of the board (unedited) in the lobby of the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts, University of Illinois, Feb 2006. No Hammond B3, just nice effects off Jimmy's Yamaha keyboard.

We are not particularly web-savy, we just haven't needed to promote ourselves much. Still, we need to take it to the next level. Even though we are weekend warriors, we would rather play fewer higher paying better gigs than the usual $1200-$1500 shows. We need to produce some studio demos and beef up the website with some professional photography.

We are working on some Florida/Las Vegas/Bahamas gigs. We need to hire a promoter (extortionist) and do it. One of our lead singers, Pauli Carman, was the voice of the band Champaign (remember How 'Bout Us?) so we are talking about reinventing ourselves as such.

A few other pictures are out there, including at

http://www.redlioninn.info/pic/thumbnails.php?album=25

This was a hot summer 'circus tent' gig, August, 2006. Steamy, loud, and admittedly, just a bit "hop-inspired".

Thanks for the tips on bands to listen to. We have on occasion played "Get It On", but it has been awhile. Really need three trumpets for that one.

If by chance you are near Indy this Saturday, stop by the Scottish Rite Cathedral 8 pm and tell them you are with the band.

Time for "Just Another Horn Band" thread?
    Last edited by TOFB; 12 Mar 2007 at 11:59 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Speaking of Radiohead, I always thought they were a bit overrated and then I saw them live last summer at Bonnaroo and have to saw they put on one of the best shows I have ever seen in front of that large of a crowd (I generally prefer concerts at much smaller venues).

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Saturday night my son was surfing the radio dial when he came upon a local station that does a two hour block of music from the 70s. What should I hear but a song I haven't heard since I was a kid - "Me and You and a Dog Named Boo." Got me thinking when I was 12 or so. When I was a kid, I really liked that song (I was a budding greenie). Seems cheesy now. But good memories, just the same.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally posted by rosierivets View post
    I've never really *gotten* the whole Jimmy Buffet thing. If someone can give me the in to understanding this phenomena I'd be ever so appreciative.
    1. One cannot listen to Buffet for the first time while not at some beach...
    2. Buffet in the snow will make you sad and long for the beach...
    3. Buffet sober is good, but Buffet intoxicated is GREAT...
    4. Lyrics like "The weather is here, I wish you were beautiful" make complete sense after a few drinks...
    5. Next time you're in Florida, stop in and we will show you the light! You, too, will be a believer!
    Bring on Spring Training...

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by LadyBuc View post
    1. One cannot listen to Buffet for the first time while not at some beach...
    2. Buffet in the snow will make you sad and long for the beach...
    3. Buffet sober is good, but Buffet intoxicated is GREAT...
    4. Lyrics like "The weather is here, I wish you were beautiful" make complete sense after a few drinks...
    5. Next time you're in Florida, stop in and we will show you the light! You, too, will be a believer!
    First time I heard Buffet was in Livingston, MT.....and the song of course was "Livingston Saturday Night." Didn't matter that was a couple thousand miles from a warm, sunny beach. Listened to him ever since, but of course it is better listening to him while on a warm, sunny beach.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2003

Bear AKA Wolfgang: The Challenge

This Bear mentioned a great web site a while back.....Wolfgang's Vault. This site provides over 100 vintage rock and roll concerts, most from the era known as "the golden age of rock and roll", mid-1960s thorugh late 1970s. When you sign-up, the masters of the site will send you periodic e-mails, informing you of additional concert recordings ont he free site. This week they notified me about a Steppenwolf concert being added. ("Gox daxx the pusher man.....")

This afternoon I have been listening to an old Commander Cody concert and I now have Ten Years After playing. The TYA tune? A wonderful live version of "I May Be Wrong, But I Won't Be Wrong Always", a rocking jazz-oriented tune.

I hereby challenge you to go to Wolfgang's Vault and listen to the song I May Be Wrong...". You will be amazed at the finger ability of Alvin Lee and his band.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Review of a new release of an old but good live concert:

Neil Young floodgates open
    'Live at Massey Hall' returns to the roots of a remarkable career
    http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/.../70324001/1046

HIGHLIGHTS:
    Live at Massey Hall 1971," the second release in Young's Archives Performance Series, is a pristine recording that captures the beauty and intelligence in Young's music and in his quavering, heartbreaking tenor. The solo performance, with Young on guitar and piano, is as direct and emotional as the songs.

Nearly half the set is then-new music...
    I just might go out and buy it.
    Bet ya the Teh Bear will like it.

+ Reply to thread
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 26 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Christmas Music Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 74
    Last post: 11 Jul 2010, 8:44 AM
  2. The Random Music Thoughts Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5