Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Another Music Thread

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Boru
    Safege, excuse my ignorance but are the Radiators an Irish band? Bear, hope you like the Kings of Leon (is it Aha Shake Heartbreak?). I saw them live a few weeks ago and they certainly exuded attitude. It would almost inspire me to put on sterility inducing tight jeans and a dont-give-a-s**t attitude.

New Cds.
    The Roots-Things fall apart (a few years old now but worth the purchase)
    Super Furry Animals-The singles collection.
    Sufjan Stevens-Come on feel the Illinois. (Excellent-I highly rate it).
    Nouvelle Vague (the album just appears to be called Nouvelle Vague as well. Its an album of covers but done in a bossa-nova lounge style. 5 stars.)
    Sorry for the delay. Yes, a punk rock band, a pop band, an Irish band, a political band, and a group of teenagers. All this and more, here is a link:

http://www.pogues.com/PastPogues/PChevron/Rads.html

For a quick listen, try #22 or #23 for normal people, try #11 or #12 for punk rock, or try #9 for my favorite.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=music

Registered
    Feb 2004
    What do the lyrics to "Blister in the Sun" mean?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    What do the lyrics to "Blister in the Sun" mean?
    It's about doing the four-knuckle-shuffle.
    "I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every single minute of it!"

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by jread
    It's about doing the four-knuckle-shuffle.
    A related question. I've read that the lyrics to Beck's "Girl" are supposed to be pretty disturbing. Has anyone actually seen the lyrics and what are they. That is, if they are printable in this family friendly forum.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner
    A related question. I've read that the lyrics to Beck's "Girl" are supposed to be pretty disturbing. Has anyone actually seen the lyrics and what are they. That is, if they are printable in this family friendly forum.
    I've seen 'em, and they ain't pretty. I wouldn't print 'em here, for fear of the nightmares Rumpy might get from 'em.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Those Opening Chords

Cleaing up a few ditties.....

Boru.....Yes, this Bear likes Kings Of Leon. Yes, it is AHA SHAKE HEARTBREAK.

Z-Man.....Joss Stone is a great performer. You are soooo right, she is really nice to look at.
    _____

Say, "gang".....

What about those famous opening chords? Do you have a chord or two (2) that knocks your socks off when you hear it, signalling the beginning of a tune you dig?

Perhaps the most famous opening chord in music.....the chord at the beginning of "It's A Hard Days Night" by The Beatles.

A very telltale chord start...the six (6) chords at the beginning of "Aqua-Lung" by Jethro Tull.

What say you? Anything grab you within the first chord or so?

Bear On The Park Bench
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I am going to be in Grand Rapids this weekend to see one of my favorite bands, Domestic Problems. It should be a good time.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 2004

By the way....

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    I am going to be in Grand Rapids this weekend to see one of my favorite bands, Domestic Problems. It should be a good time.
    After I went to the Weezer/Foo Fighters concert a couple weeks ago......I got temporary hearing loss and my ears were ringing for fully 36 hours!!!! That part of the concert SUCKED! The MOSH pits were ok until they started knocking people over.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    After I went to the Weezer/Foo Fighters concert a couple weeks ago......I got temporary hearing loss and my ears were ringing for fully 36 hours!!!! That part of the concert SUCKED! The MOSH pits were ok until they started knocking people over.....

I have a bit of a phobia with being crowded. Mosh pits really creep me out. I am way too old for them now, anyway (42).

Heck, with bad feet and a iffy back, I am almost too old for standing in a club for a 2-hour concert period.

NOW, FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT (AND BRITISH):

This is amazing. The local city sponsors pellet gun battles for rival youth gangs.

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/V...icleID=1129740

Those Brits sure are "innovative" in their social programs.

Registered
    May 2003

The Meaning Behind Aqualung & Locomotive Breath

OK, rock and roll fans.....especially those that have visited prog-rock land.....

What exactly is the meaning behind the two (2) Jethro Tull tunes that are always getting airplay on classic radio?

Aqualung
    Locomotive Breath

Both of these songs are from an album that many consider to be among the best ever, AQUALUNG......issued about 1971. Both have incredible opening riffs. "Aqualung" opens with six (6) chords that are among the most-recognizable in rock and roll history. The soft melody that opens the hard rocker "Locomotive Breath" is, as many have said in reviews, just the softness of the slow start pulling out of the train station.

Ian Anderson, head dude for Jethro Tull since its' inception, claims that AQUALUNG was not a concept album. Some reviewers dispute that, seeing some strong connections from song to song.

The single "Aqualung" appears to be about a homeless ephebophile, down on his luck, hooked to an artificial breathing machine.....but still "eyeing little girls with bad intent". Incredible lyrics if you can force yourself past the sickness (and sadness) of the old man on the park bench.

"Locomotive Breath" appears to have some religious meaning. This train won't stop, it has no way to slow down. I am not sure I ever GOT it. But it is an incredible rocker.

Both of these tunes REQUIRE maximum volume.

I encourage young'n's to give these a listen. Check out the lyrics and listen at the same time. See if you can figure it out.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm listening to X&Y by Coldplay this morning. Good CD.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    May 2003

Another Day, Another Stack

This morning this Bear gathered up another stack of CD's to take to the workplace. I do get a chance to listen when I arrive early and before all the "fires" start. Here's the latest stack:

Wilco (Being There)
    The Commitments (Soundtrack)
    Kings of Lean (Aha Shake Haertbreak)
    Brian Setzer (Ultimate Live Collection)
    Asleep At The Wheel (The Wheel Keeps On Rollin')
    Rascals (The Ultimate Rascals)
    Etta James (Love Songs)
    Beach Boys (Endless Summer)
    Chris Duarte Group (Texas Sugar)
    Bob Dylan (Highway 61 Revisted)
    Tower Of Power (Live & In Living Color)
    Uncle Tupelo (Still Feel Gone)
    Electric Light Orchestra (Greatest Hits)
    Tragically Hip (Live Between Us)
    Various Fiddlers, Banjo Pickers, Etc. (Hillbilly Jazz)

This stack makes me almost want to gop into the office today (Sunday). Well, almost.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

Concerning The Electric Light Orchestra

Anybody who digs The Beatles.....especially their later stuff.....is probably also a fan of The Electric Light Orchestra. The structure of late Beatles' music is similar to the structure of ELO's music.

Jeff Lynne, the lead singer for ELO, was also great friends with The Beatles. He even recorded and produced with George Harrison, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan and others. (See Traveling Wilburys...)

This Bear is NOT a good dancer.....but I still can do a great "bump" to EVIL WOMAN.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Hey Bear or anybody else -
    Have you listened to the CREAM - Royal Albert Hall (Reunion) double CD yet ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Hey Bear or anybody else -
    Have you listened to the CREAM - Royal Albert Hall (Reunion) double CD yet ?
    That sounds cool (payday today!). I was just listening to Disraeli Gears this afternoon!

Also: Jello Biafra has teamed with The Melvins. Kalifornia Uber Alles for the 21st Century is awesome!

You thought the Bush Cheney Regime was bad...Wait 'til you see what's next!

I am Governor Schwarzenagor
    Soon I vill be Dictator
    Ven you make me Pres-i-dent

Democracy will soon go 'vay
    Hasta La Vista, Baybay
    Kindergarten Cop in Ev-ery School

Now it iz two thousand und four
    Knock Knock Knock on your bedroom door
    It's the Homeland Security Secret Police
    You're a Terrorist
    and so is your Niece

Come quietly to the Secret Camp
    Where we keep all the Girlie Men
    Don't worry, it's for a good cause
    Feeding Halliburton's Claws!
    Also continuing to play the latest Silver Mount Zion album, and Neurosis

Registered
    May 2003
    Hey JNA.....

Thanx for the directional hint. I will check it out.

One (1) of my favorite albums of all time is BLIND FAITH, the first real "super group". I listen to this CD all of the time. I also have, out on the porch in vinyl, a double Ginger Baker album. That album contains some of the tunes done by Blind Faith. (I have to find it and convert it to CD. )
    _____

Speaking of converting vinyl to CD, the device I use to convert is about six (6) years old and quite cumbersome. Not being a true electronic geek, are there newer and better ways to convert? Technology changes so fast.

Hexx, just last week I finally threw away the crank for my truck.

Bear Had To Cry Today
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

Like A Rolling Stone

A couple years ago, Rolling Stone Magazine, in a poll that used the votes of many influtential rock and roll folks, named Bob Dylan's "Like A Rolling Stone" the number one (1) song of all time. This pixxed off quite a few young'n's. (Where's the rap, yo?)

Tough to make a call on the number one (1) of all time. This tune would certainly be in this Bear's Top 5, though. It is an incredible work of poetry. In the mid-1960's this song slammed head-on into the youth of America.....and we were never quite the same afterward.

Originally an acoustic tune, Bob Dylan added electric guitar to his own composition and the world shuddered. (You had to be there.)

For you young'n's.....try to get past Bob Dylan's voice. Print off the lyrics from a site such as Lyrics On Demand and follow along with the song.

And try to fgure it out. Some say it was about an Andy Warhol model. Others claim it was really Bob Dylan trashing (oh the introspect) Bob Dylan. Whatever it was, it was a song that this Bear has played in the jukebox in his head thousands and thousands of times. I never get tired of this song.

BTW.....I had it in the CD player in the office today. Can you tell?

Bear Not Selling Any Alibis
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I just got Bon Jovi's new CD "Have a Nice Day". It's pretty good. The single is starting to take off somewhat. I'm hoping it reaches the Top 40 unlike the single from their last album.

A lot of it is reflective of the struggles in America today, including songs such as "Bells of Freedom" and "Last Man Standing", but it stays mainstream enough and includes enough songs to relate to anyone at any time. I say about half to two-thirds is pretty good. It just show's Bon Jovi's continuing of great musical talent and in-depth songwriting, so if you're expecting "You Give Love a Bad Name", sorry.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Listening to Nickelback All the Right Reasons. It's OK.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Got the iPod going on repeat for Sigur Ros here--2 songs from Takk and two from the Shanti Project. Such beautiful, majestic, and moving music. Before that it was Townes Van Zandt...great '60's era folkie, like Nick Drake but with rougher edges, more interesting.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    revie the trhead time, as I went to Tower Records tonight.

I may be doomed, but I am really, really getting inmto ANTHEMS TO THE WELKIN AT DUSK by infamous Norwegian Black Metallers EMPEROR. A classic!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by BKM

I may be doomed, but I am really, really getting inmto ANTHEMS TO THE WELKIN AT DUSK by infamous Norwegian Black Metallers EMPEROR. A classic!
    Dude, you have weird taste in music.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by BKM

BKM.....Reading your continual references to "death metal" (is that what you call it?) and reading the recent post from RJ that indicated you had "weird taste in music".......this Bear has gotta ask.....

Was this your musical direction back in your hometown? Or is this something you picked up out Cal-EE-Forn-Eye-Way way?

Does your home town have an underground death metal culture? The music and your home town don't fit. (Or at least, not to this untrained eye.)

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    RMTAN # 1
    Does anybody recall the version of "Pictures At An Exhibition" done by Emerson, Lake & Palmer? I have that on vinyl. I like the classical versions and I have at least two (2) different vinyls (Berlin Philharmonic and Philly, I think). But the prog-rock version by ELP is fun, too.
    My husband plays the ELP version on a regular basis. Last summer we couldn't listen to the radio without hearing some version of it (ELP or classical) every @$*&$@ day!!!
    Living and dreaming are two different things-but you can't do one without the other."
    -Malcolm Forbes

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Mtn Woman
    My husband plays the ELP version on a regular basis. Last summer we couldn't listen to the radio without hearing some version of it (ELP or classical) every @$*&$@ day!!!
    A tip of this Bear's hat to your husband. Good choices.

BTW.....I have not seen an introductory thread from you so allow me to be the first.....welcome to Cyburbia.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Christmas Music Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 74
    Last post: 11 Jul 2010, 8:44 AM
  2. The Random Music Thoughts Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5