+ Reply to thread
Page 24 of 49 FirstFirst ... 14 23 24 25 34 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Another Music Thread

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Foo Fighter's latest,
    The last cut on the Foo's disk is great. Complete change of pace from the rest of the cd.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Is it strange for a person of my age (51), to enjoy the Foo Fighters? I really like it...

I'm off to make popcorn.

PWI, again.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Is it strange for a person of my age (51), to enjoy the Foo Fighters? I really like it...

I'm off to make popcorn.

PWI, again.
    2/3 of the people in this house now have a headache. Please make it stop!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Is it strange for a person of my age (51), to enjoy the Foo Fighters?
    PWI, again.
    Yes it is strange. But you knew that.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Just played She Hates Me by Puddle of Mud over the speakers for ZG and her son. They don't like my music and I can't figure that out.

Registered
    Jan 2006

I'm off to make popcorn.

PWI, again.
    They are a great mainstream, 2008 American rock band, IMO

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004

I'm off to make popcorn.

PWI, again.

Nay, there a great band. After having their new cd on heavy rotation, I'm going to have pick up some of their earlier cds.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    This came off another forum and was attributed to Craigslist. Any musicians out there will appreciate the truth in it.

HOW TO REQUEST A SONG FROM THE BAND

When requesting a song from the band, just say "play ... my song!" We have chips implanted in our heads with an unlimited database of the favorite tunes of every patron who ever walked into a bar and all songs ever recorded so feel free to be vague, we love the challenge.

If we say we really don't remember that tune you want, we're only kidding. Bands do know every song ever recorded, so keep humming. Hum harder if need be... it helps jog the memory, or just repeat your request over and over again.

If a band tells you they do not know a song you want to hear, they either forgot they know the tune or they are just putting you on. Try singing a few words for the band. Any words will do. It also helps to scream your request from across the room several times per set followed by the phrases, "AW COME ON!" and, "YOU SUCK!"

Exaggerated hand gestures expressing disapproval from the dance floor are a big help as well, such as the thumbs down or your middle finger up put-downs are the best way to jog a band's memory. This instantly promotes you to the status of "Personal Friend Of The Band." You can bet your request will be the next song we play.

Entertainers are notorious fakers and jokesters and never really prepare for their shows.They simply walk on stage with no prior thought to what they will do once they arrive. We don't actually make set lists or rehearse songs. We mostly just wait for you to yell something out, then fake it.

An entertainer's job is so easy, even a monkey could do it, so don't let them off the hook easily. Your request is all that matters. Once you've figured out what genre of music the band plays, please make your requests from a totally different genre. The more exaggerated the better. If its a blues band playing, yell for some Metallica or Slayer or Pantera. Likewise, if its a death-speed metal band, be sure to request Brown-Eyed Girl or some Grateful Dead. Musicians need to constantly broaden their musical horizons, and its your job to see that it happens....immediately.

TALKING WITH THE BAND

The best time to discuss anything with the band in any meaningful way is at the middle of a song when all band members are singing at the same time. Our hearing is so advanced that we can pick out your tiny voice from the megawatt wall of sound blasting all around us. And we can converse with you in sign language while singing the song, so don't worry that we're in the middle of the chorus.

Musicians are expert lip readers too. If a musician does not reply to your question or comment during a tune, it's because they didn't get a good look at your mouth in order to read your lips. Simply continue to scream your request and be sure to over emphasize the words with your lips. This helps immensely. Don't be fooled. Singers have the innate ability to answer questions and sing at the same time. If the singer doesn't answer your questions immediately, regardless of how stupid the question may seem, it's because they are purposely ignoring you. If this happens, immediately cop an attitude. We love this.

IMPORTANT

When an entertainer leans over to hear you better, grab his or her head in both hands and yell directly into their ear, while holding their head securely so they cannot pull away.This will be taken as an invitation to a friendly and playful game of tug of war between their head and your hands. Don't give up! Hang on until the singer or guitar player submits. Drummers are often safe from this fun game since they usually sit in the back, protected by the guitar players. Keyboard players are protected by their instrument, and only play the game when tricked into coming from behind their keyboards. Though difficult to get them to play, it's not impossible, so keep trying. They're especially vulnerable during the break between songs.

HELPING THE BAND

If you inform the band that you are a singer, the band will appreciate your help with the next few tunes, or however long you can remain standing on stage. If you're too drunk to stand unassisted, simply lean on one of the band members or the most expensive piece of equipment you see. Just pretend you're in a Karaoke bar. Simply feel free to walk up on stage and join in.By the way, the drunker you are, the better you sound, and the louder you should sing. If by chance you fall off the stage, be sure to crawl back up and attempt to sing harmony. Keep in mind that nothing assists the band more than outrageous dancing, fifth and sixth part harmonies, or a tambourine played on one and three and out of tempo. Try the cowbell; they love the challenge.The band always needs the help and will take this as a compliment.

Finally, the microphone and PA system are merely props, they don't really amplify your voice, so when you grab the mic out of the singers hand be sure to scream into it at the top of your lungs, otherwise no one will hear what a great singer you are. Hearing is over-rated anyhow. The crowd and the sound guy will love you for it.

BONUS TIP

As a last resort, wait until the band takes a break and then get on stage and start playing their instruments. They love this. Even if you are ejected from the club, you can rest assured in the fact you have successfully completed your audition. The band will call you the following day to offer you a position.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2007

The World's Greatest Music Collection?

When I saw an article about this guy's collection going up for sale on eBay, all I could say was, "Wow!"

If only I had an extra few million dollars just laying around...

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Worlds-Great...QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.thegreatestmusiccollection.com/
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    PBS Soundstage is rebroadcasting 2004 Dan Fogelberg concert.
    Oddball

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Here is concert that would have been worth attending if I could -

ARTICLE HEADLINE: Clapton, Winwood finally find their way home
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/n...-winwood_N.htm

HIGHLIGHT:
    Winding down: Near the end, two big crowd-pleasers —
    Blind Faith's Can't Find My Way Home and Traffic's Dear Mr. Fantasy,
    which became both a showcase for Winwood's virtuosity and a friendly guitar skirmish, with the two axemen swapping riffs.
    Oddball

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Listening to The Best of Blind Melon on my iPod. (Mouthful of Cavities at the moment.)
    Nice.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Need something new to listen to? Here's a list of a bunch of some of the more interesting podcasts (many of them are just weekly/daily NPR shows but if you miss their regular report the podcast can be helpful) that I subscribe to:

Current Events:
    American Public Media's Weedend America - 2 hours of stories and commentary about current happenings around the country

KCRW's Left, Right, and Center - Weekly political roundtable hosted by Matt Miller and featuring Arianna Huffington, Tony Blankley, and Robert Scheer

The Campaign Trail - The New Yorker's commentary on the current presidential campaign season

It's All Politics - NPR's Ron Elving and Ken Rudin (NPR's Political Junkie) bring you their take on the week in politics

Slate Magazine Podcasts - Includes audio form of Slate's Daily Explainer as well as the "Daily Podcast" (audio form of one of the days stories) and the "Slate Political Gabfest" hosted by John Dickerson and featuring Emily Bazelon and David Plotz

Music:
    CBC Radio 3 - Provides podcasts for a song of the day, weekly top 30, new music Canada, and in-studio sessions all focusing on Canadian Independent Music (for those of us who live near the border and are bummed that CBC Radio 3 is no only on the web or on Sirius and not on the FM dial anymore, this is a good fix)

IndieFeed - Daily dose of independent music

KCRW Morning Becomes Eclectic - Host Nic Harcourt brings some of the best current music artists into the KCRW studio for a live set (note: I find the host pretty pretentious and quite often, the sound on this podcast is inexplicably quiet, but all-in-all, its still good music)

KCRW's Today's Top Tune - Best variety of any of the daily music podcasts I subscribe to

KEXP podcasts - There are three on this single link that I subscribe to: Music That Matters - a biweekly longform podcast focusing on a single artist; Live Performances - in-studio performances from some great artists (much better sound quality than KCRW's in-studio podcast and better interaction between host and artists); Song of the Day - just like the title implies

NPR's All Songs Considered - Great music from a great host, also includes full-length live concerts from many of the bands playing at Washington D.C.'s 9:30 Club

Paste Culture Club - Podcast featuring commentary on music and the arts from Paste Magazine... it's a pretty good podcast... when they actually update it!

CokeMachineGlow - Monthly podcast from a great music review site. Unfortunately, they quit providing actual podcasts about a year ago and now if you want it, you have to download it manually when the new ones come out, load it onto iTunes (or whatever you use), and format it yourself. Also, this one does not tell you on the podcast what song is currently being played... you have to look it up on their site. I admit, it's a lot of work to go through for an hours worth of music, but this is my very favorite music podcast and has provided me with so much enjoyment and introduced me to some awesome artists!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Muddle of Mud played in our fair county recently. I would have loved to gone and seen them. But I knew ZG would never have gone. So tonight she asks me if I'd mind when Jimmy Buffett plays in Orlando again if she went to see him.

"No, I don't mind. But why can't I go, too?"

She'd owe me...next time Muddle of Mud is here.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    So tonight she asks me if I'd mind when Jimmy Buffett plays in Orlando again if she went to see him.

"No, I don't mind. But why can't I go, too?"
    Oh I thought you said Puddle of Mud. Seriously. Same thing. Why can't you go? Hmmm... I'd love it if you went; just don't engage the gag reflex on the ballads, OK? And we have to get you the funny parrot-head hat. And I have to teach you how to do "Fins" to the left, fins to the right.... You already got the margarita stuff down pat.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Listening to the Section at Wolfgang's Vault.
    Oddball

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Whoops. I got caught with a dirty secret. RJ came in from the hot tub early and I was listening to my Charlie Daniels greatest hits. Ack. Well, gosh darn it, I'm from the south..,.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

I want my Pandora...

since we cannot stream radio anymore at work - I'd love some burnt cd's of your favorite music!

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I've had "State of Massachusetts" by the Dropkick Murphy's stuck in my head for 3 straight days now.....
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Half page article in USA Today about the Dave Clark Five.
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/n...ark-five_N.htm

On account of them being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
    Singles that I recognize and enjoyed were Glad All Over and Catch Us if You Can.

If the Dave Clark Five doesn't rank with Invasion icons in boomer memories, it may be because Clark pulled the plug in 1970.
    Oddball

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

More Pandora

This Bear was listening to one of my personal stations on Pandora......Dan Hicks & Hot Licks Station.....and one of the tunes that popped-up was by The Ozark Mountain Daredevils.

Great stuff! I had forgot how much I liked their music. Extremely fun and relaxing. Must get out the CD catalog.

Bear

CYBURBIAN-STYLE EDIT: The next tune I heard, because I switched to my Mark-Almond Station....."City". A superb tune.
    Last edited by Bear Up North; 10 Mar 2008 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Bouncing Off Walls In Pandoraland
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    So I downloaded the Eddie Veddar- Into the Wild soundtrack. It was pretty good. I have been listening to it for most of the day.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    May 2003

Vanilla Fudge

As I wander the net (and step into Cyburbiaville) I have background X-M Radio tuned-in. The song "You Keep Me Hangin' On", version by The Vanilla Fudge, just came on. Boy does that song bring back memories.....

Late 1960s, this Bear in the 4th row at The Fudge concert in the old Field House, on the campus of the University of Toledo. Incredibly loud and it was a super concert.

Evidently, The Vanilla Fudge broke up shortly after that concert. What a hard group. They loved to do covers. I have their albums and recently transfered them to CD. Especially dig "Break Song" on their live shtick.

Hammond B3, baby. Woo-hoo.
    _____

The Fudge also remind me of a certain middle-of-the-night fishing adventure with my friend (Phil) and two young ladies we picked-up in east Toledo. Great time.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

At The Workplace Today

Here's my latest stack of CDs at the workplace.....

Quadrophenia (The Who)
    Best Of Kansas (2 CDs / Box Set) (Kansas)
    Pet Sounds (Beach Boys)
    Big Band Music in The War Years (Various Artists)
    Tribute To Curtis Mayfield (Various Artists)
    Heart Of Chicago (2 CDs...Volume 1 and 2) (Chicago)
    Back In The USA - McCartney Live (2 CDs) Paul McCartney
    Mermaid Avenue (Billy Bragg & Wilco)
    Love (Beatles)
    Definite Collection (Chuck Berry)
    Sky Blue Sky (Wilco)
    In Rainbows (Radiohead)

Quadrophenia is classic Who, with the haunting "Love, Reign O'vr Me".....the Kansas box rocks, a band ahead of its' time and very tight.....always been a fan of big band music.....Curtis Mayfield, before "Superfly" was giving the world some great soul, such as "It's Alright".....this Chicago twosome is OK, but their live albums are better.....this McCartney offering is filled with Beatles and Wings tunes, live; nice stuff.....Wilco is a favorite of this Bear and the two Wilco CDs are very good.....The Beatles "Love" is from the Vegas show, and produced oh so damm good.....the new Radiohead CD is awesome.....Chuck Berry's collection is great except for "My Ding-A-Ling" (yeah concert fans had fun with this tune but I have always hated it).
    _____

Today's rock and roll quote: "You're so very ordinary, you're so very lame" - Alice Cooper's "Blue Turk"
    _____

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

Name: Justin Nuther Stack

Here's my latest stack of CDs at the workplace.....

Automatic For The People (REM)
    Curtis Mayfield & The Impressions Anthology (Curtis Mayfield & The Impressions) (2 CDs)
    Rockin' Down The Highway (Live) (Doobie Brothers) (2 CDs)
    Long Road Out Of Eden (The Eagles)
    The Number 1s (The Beatles)
    What's The Story Morning Glory (Oasis)
    Damn Yankees (Damn Yankees)
    Mind, Body & Soul (Joss Stone)
    My Name Is Barbra 1 (Barbra Streisand)
    My Name Is Barbra 2 (Barbra Streisand)
    A Better Life (3 Doors Down)
    OK Computer (Radiohead)

REM remains a very interesting band, with strange (and fun) lyrics and some really super melodies.....Curtis Mayfield & The Impressions gave us some great music.....this Bear has always been a Doobies fan (glad I didn't say "fan of doobies") .....this Eagle's CD was purchased at WallyWorld, the only place it was available, and it is good soft rock.....The Beatles had a host of number one tunes and this CD has them all.....and Oasis was supposed to be "the new Beatles" (that did not pan out, though this CD is very good).....the dudes in Damn Yankees included Jack Blades (Night Ranger), Tommy Shaw (Styx) and "Terrible" Ted Nugent; can't remember the fourth guy; I have always loved the tune "High Enough"; perhaps the best-ever metal ballad .....Joss Stone has a great voice and this CD has great production values; and, she's "hot" .....back in the early 1960s, one of my high school teachers told me to watch a TV special with a new singer, Barbra Streisand; I did and I was hooked, what a fabulous voice.....note, that I dig the early Streisand stuff, not a fan of the later stuff (and no comment about her political leanings)....."Kryptonite" remains the best tune from 3 Doors Down....."OK Computer" is superb.
    _____

As I was typing the comments my mind was playing with this question: Relationship between my list or the songs from those CDs or the artists AND "the planning game"?

Night Ranger = "Sister Christian" = ".....motoring....."
    The Doobie Brothers = "Rockin' Down The Highway"
    Barbra Streisand = First album had "3 Little Pigs", with the straw house and the obvious zoning violation

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

+ Reply to thread
Page 24 of 49 FirstFirst ... 14 23 24 25 34 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Christmas Music Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 74
    Last post: 11 Jul 2010, 9:44 AM
  2. The Random Music Thoughts Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5