Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Another Music Thread

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Anybody out there in CyburbiaRocksLand that is familiar with Brian Setzer? This Bear has a big collection of Brian Setzer albums and CD's. Everything from The Stray Cats through his big band.

About a year or so ago I bought his big band double-disc, live. It is pretty good, maybe not as raucous as I expected.....but still fun.

One (1) thing that is very evident on this latest disc.....he is one (1) heckuva guitar player. Great action.

BTW.....I have seen reviews that say Brian Setzer should ditch the big band stuff and go back to rockabilly.

What say you?

Stray Bear Shuffling
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    BKM.....Reading your continual references to "death metal" (is that what you call it?) and reading the recent post from RJ that indicated you had "weird taste in music".......this Bear has gotta ask.....

Was this your musical direction back in your hometown? Or is this something you picked up out Cal-EE-Forn-Eye-Way way?

Does your home town have an underground death metal culture? The music and your home town don't fit. (Or at least, not to this untrained eye.)

Bear
    Richmond Jake should know that I am beinbg deliberatiely obscure, except I do like heavvvvvvy metal.

I'd always kinda liked "progressive" rock-there was a little shop called Slatewood Records on Clinton Street in Fort Wayne that stocked wierd European imports. I even listened to a little Black Sabbath and saw them with Blue Oyster Cult, but I was more a goth/progressive guy than a metalhead.

Until one day I was doing a driving tour of New England, and the University of Vermont station played a song by British Doom Metallers "My Dying Bride." Plaintiff vocals, gruff vocals, heavy guitars and drums-and a violin. That turned me on to "Doom Metal." Then, there's a record store in Davis, CA with a hard core metal head as a manager (he has a death metal show on KDVS) I got introduced to a lot of othe subgnres of metal, including Death metal and the more questionable "black metal." I have an awful lot of Scandinavian albums in my collection.

I also like other kinds of music, too. What I REALLY, REALLY into right now is a cd I picked up at a used book store: Saraband "Ballads of the Sephardic Jews" An amzing musical tradition that I had only touched on briefly via radio shows and the like. I may be making a digression from my usual metal-buying habit over the next few months!

Registered
    May 2003
    BKM.....Speaking a heavier rock and roll, with violin.....ever hear of a late 1960's band called The Flock?

Their first album is dynamite. It opens with a 2-minute violin solo, going from soft and melodic to fast and hard and finally......crashing. A great tune on that album is called "Store Bought, Store Thought". It is one (1) of those songs that have to be played at Level 11 on a 10 Level player.

Their second album was not very good.....too experimental for my tastes. The violinist.....believe his name was Jerry Goodman.....went on to a distinguished career with some other jazz-fusion type bands......Mahavishnu Orchestra, maybe?

BTW.....tonight I will open my west windows and listen for heavy metal sounds coming from the direction of......cough, cough.....Fort Wayne, IN.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    BKM.....Speaking a heavier rock and roll, with violin.....ever hear of a late 1960's band called The Flock?

Their first album is dynamite. It opens with a 2-minute violin solo, going from soft and melodic to fast and hard and finally......crashing. A great tune on that album is called "Store Bought, Store Thought". It is one (1) of those songs that have to be played at Level 11 on a 10 Level player.

Their second album was not very good.....too experimental for my tastes. The violinist.....believe his name was Jerry Goodman.....went on to a distinguished career with some other jazz-fusion type bands......Mahavishnu Orchestra, maybe?

BTW.....tonight I will open my west windows and listen for heavy metal sounds coming from the direction of......cough, cough.....Fort Wayne, IN.

Bear
    Have to check them out.

Slatewood's long gone. And, what little metal you'll hear coming out of Fort Wayne is mediocre "indie rock" six months behind the coasts and maybe some hair metal from the 80s (gag me)

I actually still like psychadelic rock, too. Never have "indulged" in the herb, but I love early Pink Floyd and bought an album by German Druggies Amon Duul II-which I've just replaced on CD this year.

I am pretty much obsessed with music (for a non musician, that is)

N/P: the Norwegian "Supergroup" Arcturus (awesome new album, very little screeched or growled vocals, just amazing psychadelic metal!)

Sorry Bear to send this thread down a slippery slope, but since you are talking about Black Metal, I have to throw these links up.

Warning: Looking at this and being caught by your co-workers will lead to strange looks at staff meetings for at least a year.

Top Ten Most Ridiculous Black Metal Pics Ever

This next one is a bit NSFW - 2 of the pics contain male nudity - so be careful, and don't look just before you are going to eat lunch.

Top Ten Most Ridiculous Black Metal Pics Ever 2

Back on the "what are you listening to" part of this thread....

I have been listening to The Shins a lot lately. Some good quality indie pop music there. Both Chutes Too Narrow and Oh, Inverted World are very good

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Margin Walker
    Sorry Bear to send this thread down a slippery slope, but since you are talking about Black Metal, I have to throw these links up.

Warning: Looking at this and being caught by your co-workers will lead to strange looks at staff meetings for at least a year.

Top Ten Most Ridiculous Black Metal Pics Ever

This next one is a bit NSFW - 2 of the pics contain male nudity - so be careful, and don't look just before you are going to eat lunch.

Top Ten Most Ridiculous Black Metal Pics Ever 2

Back on the "what are you listening to" part of this thread....

I have been listening to The Shins a lot lately. Some good quality indie pop music there. Both Chutes Too Narrow and Oh, Inverted World are very good
    Ruthless Reviews is HILARIOUS! It's bookmarked on my home computer (not here). Cindy Sheehan is from Vacaville, so I loved the screed against her.

I actually bought the Emperor album based on their recommendation.

Registered
    May 2003

The Latest Stack At My Desk

Monday, 10-24-05.....another tall stack of CD's taken to the office. Trouble is, I spend so much dang time on the floor, not much chance to really listen to this collection. Dang work thing always gets in the way.

Dan Hicks & His Hot Licks - "Beatin' The Heat"
    The Flock - "Flock Rock" (This is a great CD!)
    "Bob Dylan 20th Anniversary Concert" (Neil Young, Dylan, The Band, Mellencamp, Petty, Harrison, Others)
    Doobie Brothers - "Best Of Doobies Live"
    Phish - "Junta"
    Elton John - "Greatest Hits"
    Mark Knopfler - "Flying To Philadelphia"
    "The Big Band Era: The War Years"
    "America's 9-11 Tribute Collection"
    Blues Project - "Anthology" (Trend-setters in the mid-60-'s)
    Billie Holiday - "Best Of"

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

stray cat strut

hey there mister bear - yes, i saw the stray cats in the early 80's at a little bar in syracuse ny - good stuff

and i'm a big fan on mark knopfler too -

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Music Randoms:

Stevie Ray Vaughn
    : Is it just me or does his guitar playing just sound like liquid emotions being poured delicately into a bucket of song and life? WOW, I have always liked him, but last night some of his tunes really got to me.

Sometimes you just need to simplify...
    Most of you know, that I am obsessed with Canadian Power Group RUSH. I have been a fan of all their albums, and probably listen to them the most out of anything I have in my library. I never seem to get tired of them. Recently, I have been listening to some of their more recent stuff, with very complex instrumentation and a rich tapestry of sound to dazzle my imagination, mood and soul.
    This morning; however, I put in the Fly By Night album (their second, and first with percussion/songwriting god, Neil Peart). This album is very simplistic compared to later compilations but it rock my drive this morning. Pure rock and roll, with some good drum beats, bass lines, and guitar solos. Doesn't sound like "typical" Rush, but then again, Rush has never really been typical.

BTW, Geddy Lee (frontman for the band) is a huge baseball fan. His statement earlier this year was that once the World Series is over, Rush will begin writing for a new album! Can't wait to hear it, and possibly see them live again. This time I will see them in Denver, and maybe travel to Toronto for a hometown show, probably at the Famed ACC. Maybe we'll have a Laefest. Bear? You like tunes? You want to see Rush with me in a couple years? Meet me in T.O. for some Molsons...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    From USA TODAY:

Back Against the Wall

Pink Floyd's The Wall, a 1979 holy grail for prog-rock disciples, is reconstructed brick by brick by members of Yes, The Doors, Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, Styx, King Crimson, Asia, Toto and The Tubes, with Malcolm McDowell handling The Trial dialogue. The album, precisely if coldly produced by Billy Sherwood of Yes, is a note-for-note Xerox of the original, making it a somewhat pointless exercise, though hard-core Floyd fans may delight in the lock-step impersonations

http://www.usatoday.com/printedition...side02.art.htm
    Other tribute albums reviewed.

Why bother just put on the Orginal.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    From USA TODAY:

Back Against the Wall

Pink Floyd's The Wall, a 1979 holy grail for prog-rock disciples, is reconstructed brick by brick by members of Yes, The Doors, Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, Styx, King Crimson, Asia, Toto and The Tubes, with Malcolm McDowell handling The Trial dialogue. The album, precisely if coldly produced by Billy Sherwood of Yes, is a note-for-note Xerox of the original, making it a somewhat pointless exercise, though hard-core Floyd fans may delight in the lock-step impersonations

http://www.usatoday.com/printedition...side02.art.htm
    Other tribute albums reviewed.

Why bother just put on the Orginal.
    JNA.....This Bear is a big fan of Yes.....but, who hasn't been a member of Yes at one (1) time or another? The Doors, reconstructed, were never anything after the death of Jim Morrison. Deep Purple's Ian Gillian was in the original "Jesus Christ Superstar". I think Deep Purple also had some other dudes go on to Rainbow. Jethro Tull has also had about eight (8) kazillion members. Styx still tours.....Tommy Shaw, right? Was also in a "super group" with Terrible Ted? King Crimson.....very interesting music...."In The Hall Of The Crimson King".....wasn't their drummer a Bollin or a Buford? (Crimson members also were in and out of Yes.) My wife and I were just talking about Asia the other other day. They claim to have invented arena rock. (One of their tunes is an emotional bummer for me.....bad memories of a bad time.) Toto....."I'll get you, my pretty....and your dog, too...." Toto has toured a lot with Chicago. Rosanna Arquette was the GF (and possibly wife?) of one (1) of Toto's members. You all remember the tune "Rosanna", right? This Bear was never a Tubes fan. Odd. And as for Malcolm McDowell.....see the quote attached to budgie's posts.

That's my run-on phrase for today. Thank you for tuning in to Radio Free Bear.

RFB
    You ain't heard nothing yet.....

And this just in from the KPUT News Room.....Gavin Rossdale and his new band are in Toledo tonight, playing at a small clubbe. I wonder if Gwen will be in the audience?

Everything Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Speaking of prog-rock Super Groups, you guys should check out Norwegian Metallers' "Green Carnation (first two albums only). Awesome, lengthy songs worthy of Yes at their proggiest. I am now listening to their first album "Journey to the End..." Their second album contains one seventy minute song. Not metal at all-classic progressive rock!

Registered
    May 2003

Gaining My Religion

This Bear was thinking about the tunes that have references to God, Jesus, a Supreme Being, religion, and/or worship. Here are a few.....

Spirit In The Sky (Norman Greenbaum)
    The opening chords of this great olde classic rocker are among the most famous opening chords in the history of rock.

My Sweet Lord (George Harrison)
    Never cared much for this tune. I liked George Harrison's stuff, but not this.

Jesus Is Just Alright With Me (The Doobie Brothers)
    This is a great song to dance to. Good beat.

Signs (Five Man Electrical Band / Tesla)
    The last verse makes reference to acceptance in society being gained thru church, after not being accepted by others. I liked the first version, done by The Five Man Electrical Band better than Tesla's "cover'.
    _____

Can anybody else step out of the confessional and name some more? What say you?

REM Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Can anybody else step out of the confessional and name some more? What say you?

REM Bear
    Losing My Religion - REM
    Yahweh - U2
    Paper Jesus - Staind

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Losing My Religion - REM
    This Bear hinted at REM's "Losing My Religion" in the earlier post. Reading the actual lyrics of the tune, though, I have to wonder.....what the hexx are they talking about?

Is the "religion" they mention just "lust"?

Bewildered Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Here's a few more...

Sting - IF I Ever Lose My Faith In You
    Joan Osborne - If God Was One of Us
    Temple of the Dog - Say Hello To Heaven
    AC/DC - Highway to Hell
    Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
    Savatage - the whole Streets album as its about a rock opera about a drug dealer turned prophet

There are loads more, but those are the ones that immediately popped into my head.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    "Turn! Turn! Turn!" 1965
    performed by The Byrds, written by Pete Seeger
    based upon Ecclesiates 3:1-8
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2005
    My music collection seems to be devoid of positive religous lyrics, which frankly, didn't suprise me much.

For truely bad boys and girls, I recommend:

Shoes for Industry - Jeruselum (if you can find it, a must have)
    Doctors of Madness - Sons of Survival
    Pogues - Down in the Ground where the Dead Men Go
    Psychotics are consistently inconsistent. The essence of sanity is to be inconsistently inconsistent.
    -Larry Wall

Registered
    Oct 2001

Religion

You know I will be obscure, so...here goes.

One of my favorite musicians, David Tibet (now David Michael as he becomes even more religious) and his diverse musical project CURRENT 93 fills his discography with religion and religious topics. Including one of the more disturbing albums, CHRIST AND THE PALE QUEENS MIGHTY IN SORROW, based in part on the work of famous mystic Hidegarde de Bingen Mr. Tibet/Michael has gone through a variety of phases, starting in the early 80s with noise soundscapes and a deep interest in Aleister Crowley, over the years becoming much more neo-folk in sound (a very apocalyptic neofolk, that is), and passing through an interest in Buddhism (Thudner Perfect Mind) to his current quite devout professions of Christianity of a particularly dark and apocalyptic type. A lyric from a mid-period album, Of Ruine of Some Blazing Starre, shows this progression somewhat:

"These were the days of reading the black books
    And possibly, I rented my soul. Possibly. Oh Misere."

As of the last year, he has professed an even more profound religious conversion, eliminating the reference to Buddhism in his chosen stage name (Tibet) and taking on the surname "Michael"

I am quite passionate about the work of Current 93, a passion only confirmed by last night's five hour concert of utterly amazing musicianship by an ensemble including David himself (who is almost painful to watch live due to his tortured mannerisms), amazing violinists, cellists, flautists, and guitarists. Utterly mesmerizing neoclassical/folk music at the Great American Music Hall. I just wish I had better feet, five hours of standing is painful at my age and weight and fallen arches.

This is all far beyond what anyone cares about, but if you are interested at all in neofolk/neoclassical music and have a chance to see Current 93, I heartily recommend it.

Registered
    Feb 2000

Revival Of The "what Are You Listening To Now" Thread

"Turtle Blues" by Big Brother and the Holding Company
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Banquet - Bloc Party
    Was it a Dream - 30 Seconds to Mars
    Times Like These - Foo Fighters

Registered
    Aug 2001
    "Chapter V" by Staind.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    New music!

Depeche Mode has a new disc out. I am absolutely impressed-some great, gloomy New Wave electronica.

I like their new disc better than the latest New Order, actually.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    This Bear hinted at REM's "Losing My Religion" in the earlier post. Reading the actual lyrics of the tune, though, I have to wonder.....what the hexx are they talking about?

Is the "religion" they mention just "lust"?

Bewildered Bear
    An old, old Southernism my friend. It means that someone has done so much, or is exasperated to the point of not knowing what else to do, or what to give up. Thus, they're losing their religion. After all, what can you give up if you've given up your faith.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    For no particular reason, I daydreamed a few cyburbian songs that should exist, but don't for various reasons. Then, of course, I have to post them...

"What's OSHA got to do with it?" (maybe ask Tina Turner what she thinks?)
    "She has a ticket to park n' ride"
    "Ballad of the sidewalk NIMBY"
    "Cut the grass, or I'm telling. (children's sing-a-long)
    "Who wants to ride my magic bus?"
    "Bigger boxes, bigger boxes" (and they're all made out of ticky-tacky)
    Psychotics are consistently inconsistent. The essence of sanity is to be inconsistently inconsistent.
    -Larry Wall

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Christmas Music Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 74
    Last post: 11 Jul 2010, 8:44 AM
  2. The Random Music Thoughts Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 24 Nov 2004, 10:04 PM