Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 31 of 49 FirstFirst ... 21 30 31 32 41 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Another Music Thread

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Hildweller- funny that you mention Neil Young. I had the sudden urge to blast "Old Man" and sing along loudly in the car yesterday. This was followed by Stevie Wonder's "Superstitious".

Bear- I picked up that Snow Patrol album recently... I just can't get over the awesomeness of "Shut Your Eyes".

I've been playing the hell out of Bon Iver's "For Emma, Long Ago". It is fantasitic. I think fans of Snow Patrol, Death Cab for Cutie, Sufjan Stevens, etc. would like it very much.

Also picked up VNV Nation's newest, "Of Faith, Power, and Glory" in the last week or so. If you like a little bit of electronica ala Depeche Mode and haven't heard of them you should check it out. Danceable, flying just under the pop radars.

Also, speaking of Depeche Mode, I've been playing their latest, "Sounds of the Universe" for a month or two and it's fabulous. Peace, Come Back to Me, Wrong... they are all so good!
    How about you take a gander at making an executive decision for once, huh?

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by rosierivets View post
    Hildweller- funny that you mention Neil Young. I had the sudden urge to blast "Old Man" and sing along loudly in the car yesterday. This was followed by Stevie Wonder's "Superstitious".

Bear- I picked up that Snow Patrol album recently... I just can't get over the awesomeness of "Shut Your Eyes".

I've been playing the hell out of Bon Iver's "For Emma, Long Ago". It is fantasitic. I think fans of Snow Patrol, Death Cab for Cutie, Sufjan Stevens, etc. would like it very much.

Also picked up VNV Nation's newest, "Of Faith, Power, and Glory" in the last week or so. If you like a little bit of electronica ala Depeche Mode and haven't heard of them you should check it out. Danceable, flying just under the pop radars.

Also, speaking of Depeche Mode, I've been playing their latest, "Sounds of the Universe" for a month or two and it's fabulous. Peace, Come Back to Me, Wrong... they are all so good!
    I want to pick up the new VNV but I guess I'm gonna have to order it online as they don't have it at the local stores. I have all their albums. I might go to their show in Chicago on Friday.

Might have to check out that Bon Iver album as I am a fan of Sufjan Stevens and DCC.

I've been listening to "The Living Blue" lately. Especailly for their song "Tell me Leza". Great local band.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    I want to pick up the new VNV but I guess I'm gonna have to order it online as they don't have it at the local stores. I have all their albums. I might go to their show in Chicago on Friday.
    Rygor- I will be at that show. It would be great to meet a fellow planner and synth pop/industrial fan in Chicago so PM me if you're interested in saying hello.

I planned on ordering it but then I tracked it down at Best Buy. I was shocked. SHOCKED!
    How about you take a gander at making an executive decision for once, huh?

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Gonna Buy List

It has been awhile since this Bear ordered some music. Now that the new Wilco album is out.....it is time, baby.....

Wilco (The Album) (Wilco) - This CD is getting super reviews. I have always been a fan of Wilco.

Music From The North Country (Jayhawks) - I have a couple Jayhawks CDs.....this would round out my collection.

Also considering.....

Born On Flag Day (Deer Tick) - This CD is getting some nice reviews. Anybody else know of Deer Tick?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    It has been awhile since this Bear ordered some music. Now that the new Wilco album is out.....it is time, baby.....

Wilco (The Album) (Wilco) - This CD is getting super reviews. I have always been a fan of Wilco.

Music From The North Country (Jayhawks) - I have a couple Jayhawks CDs.....this would round out my collection.

Also considering.....

Born On Flag Day (Deer Tick) - This CD is getting some nice reviews. Anybody else know of Deer Tick?

Bear
    Dear Tick is a great band (BTW, they provide the music for the James Howard Kunstler Podcast if you are into that guy). What I have heard of their new CD is really good.

I got the new Wilco album a couple of weeks ago but honestly have not really listened to it yet. The two songs I have heard repeatedly on NPR were not all that great in my opinion; nothing from the album seems to be as instantly catchy as any of their previous albums.

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov...61363pa3g8.jpg
    This morning I was listening to The Dead Weather album which was just released today (it's the new Jack White project with Royal Oak, MI native and QOTSA muli-instrumentalist Dean Fertita, Jack Lawrence from The Greenhornes and The Raconteurs, and Alison Mosshart from The Kills). I honestly could not get past the third track, Cut Like a Buffalo because it was so good that it just had to be repeated about four times on my drive in. If anybody checks this album out and enjoys it, I recommend Howl by the Black Rebal Motorcycle Club.

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov...97825t3334.jpg

Moderator note:
    ~Gedunker
    Leeched images links broken. Please, do not leech images!
    Last edited by Gedunker; 14 Jul 2009 at 9:20 AM.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I miss 1990s grunge-era rock.

It's not so much that the contemporary stuff is all that bad, it's just the bands are so ubiquitous and boilerplate now. Can anybody tell me with a straight face that Nickelback, Theory of a Deadman, Hinder, Chevelle, Shinedown, Fuel, Saving Abel, etc. don't all sound like they could be the same band (most of the time)? I own music from all these bands and frankly even I can't tell them apart sometimes. It all sort-of sounds like a pop-rock power-ballad compilation, although admittedly a lot better than 80s trash like Warrant and Poison in terms of song-writing and performance.

Maybe I'm just disaffected Gen Xer, but I just don't think that the contemporary rock bands of this decade can hold a candle to the 90s greats like Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, STP, Rage Against the Machine, et al. At least Green Day and Pearl Jam are still around.

Registered
    May 2003

The Beatles

It was 45 years ago today....The Beatles first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show. I watched it and the next day I hitch-hiked over to the Arlan's Department Store in west Toledo and purchased the album Meet The Beatles. I have been a Beatles' fan ever since.

This attached video is from that first appearance.....but I don't know if it was the actual first song played.

Time flies.

Bear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGGHSiZkug0
    Occupy Cyburbia!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Tonight on the iPod it's been The New Game by Mudvayne. More music that ZG hates.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Tonight on the iPod it's been The New Game by Mudvayne. More music that ZG hates.
    I liked there "Do What You Do" track. Not so much The New Game...too headbangerish.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    I liked there "Do What You Do" track.....
    You would. I'm partial to Fall into Sleep. I like the change in tempos.

I can work my way through the headbangie segments...

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Never heard of them. But if you like them, it's a pretty sure bet I'd hate it. Kinda like you playing golf...

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Never heard of them. But if you like them, it's a pretty sure bet I'd hate it. Kinda like you playing golf...
    Or you listening to Jimmy "Chuckit" Buffet I lived for a time in Livingston, MT...the town's anthem was Livingston Saturday Night.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by rosierivets View post

!
    ya Bon Iver is pretty amazing. I heard the song Blood bank a couple weeks ago nd i still can't get over it. Along the same lines i've also been getting into Damien Rice quite a bit recently.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    I've been listening to a lot of Dream Theater lately, since they will be here in Orlando next weekend. They've got a new album out, Black Clouds and Silver Linings, that has pretty much dominated my listening mixed in with some older DT. I've also been listening to a lot of a band called Scar Symmetry, a little on the heavier side from DT.

Registered
    May 2003

Polka Floyd

Hey, Stash....check out Polka Floyd, a popular Toledo, OH, group. Hearing is believing. A good choice for a listen is their sausage-inspired Hey You.

I gotta go see these 'locks.

http://www.myspace.com/polkafloyd
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2007

I can see music!

For the past few months, I have been attempting to listen to my entire music collection chronologically. About three months in, I am finally into the current decade (right now on 2004). A few weeks ago I was curious to see the breakdown of my collection by year... and here it is:

And by decade:

In the time since I made the graphs, I have probably added an additional 200 - 400 songs, mostly from the 1950s and 1960s and this current year so none of that is represented in these figures.

Also, I didn't include any classical music in these graphs because I have a hard time deciding on whether to list it by the year it was recorded or the year it was composed.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    For the past few months, I have been attempting to listen to my entire music collection chronologically. About three months in, I am finally into the current decade (right now on 2004). A few weeks ago I was curious to see the breakdown of my collection by year...
    And people used to laugh at me for alphabetizing my record collection!

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    Hey, Stash....check out Polka Floyd, a popular Toledo, OH, group. Hearing is believing. A good choice for a listen is their sausage-inspired Hey You.

I gotta go see these 'locks.

http://www.myspace.com/polkafloyd

You ever listened to The Dub Side of the Moon by the Easy Star All Stars? Its the entire Dark Side of the Moon album reggae style. Very nice.

Registered
    May 2003

Woodstock & Goose Lake

This weekend marks the 40th anniversary of the Woodstock concert (event). Though I did not attend the concert it made an impact on my life, albiet in some minor ways. It solidified my love for rock and roll music (although by 1969 I needed very little help). And it gave me some cool phrases that I have sprinkled into many conversations over the years.....including my fave.....

"Lot of freaks!"

The following summer, Cynthia (1) and I were in Chicago, at the beginning of a vacation that would bring us (via my 1968 gold Mustang fastback) the Lake Michigan shoreline, from the Windy City to Mackinaw City. The Woodstock film was playing at a Rand Road cinema so we caught it.....and I loved it. Later that year I found myself at The Goose Lake International Music Festival.

What a scene. A couple hundred thousand folks at a heavily wooded park on a small lake near Jackson, MI. This Bear was never a druggie but I had plenty of beer in a cooler. I opened the fastback of my Mustang, threw a thick sleeping bag in the back portion, and sat and watched (and drank my beer).

What a scene. Lots of nudity, including a woman who rode slowly past on her horse. Both the woman and horse were nude. The music was incredible. But what I remember the most are the drugs. The drugs were everywhere and incredibly easily available. Guys would walk by my beer-guzzlin' vantage point and shout their wares, much like a vendor at a baseball stadium. They wore nail aprons that carried the money (tons of cash sticking out!) and the drugs.

I had purchased two tickets to the festival but Cynthia (1) did not go.....she stayed home with our sick son (who was born in June of that year). I was willing to stay home with her (and miss the festival) but she insisted that I scoot. So I did!

The tickets were quite unique. Green plastic, kind of like a poker chip. It had the festival name imprinted on the chip. Because I had a pair of ducats I kept the extra. I thought the festival and the chip were soooooooooo cool that I drilled a tiny hole in the extra one (after the concert) and run a chain through it.

Alas......it is no longer in my possession. Not sure where it went.....I looked for it a couple years ago.....no can find. But my aging brain cells still can find the memories of a great rock and roll concert, so many years ago.

Long live rock and roll !!!

Bear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U2KY14IZfw
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Listening to Matisyahu on Shake Off The Dust...Arise. Interesting fusion of hip hop, reggae, klezmer, jazz. But then what would you expect from a Hasidic Jewish reggae artist?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Listening to Matisyahu on Shake Off The Dust...Arise. Interesting fusion of hip hop, reggae, klezmer, jazz. But then what would you expect from a Hasidic Jewish reggae artist?
    Sure, spend your time listening to all that corporate-sellout-mainstream klezmer reggae. Why not listen to some of the more obscure artists associated with that genre? You got something against them?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Sure, spend your time listening to all that corporate-sellout-mainstream klezmer reggae. Why not listen to some of the more obscure artists associated with that genre? You got something against them?
    You mean Yitzhak Marleystein and The Wailing Wallers? Peter Toshbaum? Burning Shofar? Oye Vey! You are such a schmendrick!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    You mean Yitzhak Marleystein and The Wailing Wallers? Peter Toshbaum? Burning Shofar? Oye Vey! You are such a schmendrick!
    Who are you calling a schmendrick?! Don't be such a shtik fleish mit tzvei eigen.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Who are you calling a schmendrick?! Don't be such a shtik fleish mit tzvei eigen.
    Enschultig meir? Stay on topic, mayster macher.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    This morning I was able to hear the remastered stereo version of The Beatles Dear Prudence and all I can say is, WOW!!

I already wanted to get the box set but now I need to add an awesome stereo to my list to make my listening experience that much better.

+ Reply to thread
Page 31 of 49 FirstFirst ... 21 30 31 32 41 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Christmas Music Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 74
    Last post: 11 Jul 2010, 8:44 AM
  2. The Random Music Thoughts Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 24 Nov 2004, 10:04 PM
  3. Replies: 2