Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 35 of 49 FirstFirst ... 25 34 35 36 45 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Another Music Thread

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    I am partial towards Jeff Beck as a top 5 guitar player.
    Among the living, while I really like Beck and Clapton, I think that Carlos Santana is better.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    I'm sure that I have a minority opinion here- I like Clapton, but I really think he is overated. Not the best guitar player, not a great singer, and alot of his hit songs are uninspiring IMO.
    10 years ago, that statement would have earned you my enduring scorn but I've backed away from that view over the years - I'm not as militantly pro-Clapton as I used to be. I still think he's a great guitar player, but now I really like his work with other great artists like his work with Cream, Blind Faith, and Derek and the Dominos.

As far as favorite guitarists? I would have to say mine is Hendrix. He was just so innovative and so technically proficient. I don't listen to him nearly as much as I used to, but every time I put on Machine Gun it just blows my mind.

I cannot stand Satriani.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    10 years ago, that statement would have earned you my enduring scorn but I've backed away from that view over the years - I'm not as militantly pro-Clapton as I used to be. I still think he's a great guitar player, but now I really like his work with other great artists like his work with Cream, Blind Faith, and Derek and the Dominos.

As far as favorite guitarists? I would have to say mine is Hendrix. He was just so innovative and so technically proficient. I don't listen to him nearly as much as I used to, but every time I put on Machine Gun it just blows my mind.

I cannot stand Satriani.
    Derek and the Dominos' Layla is one of my favorite blues rock albums. "Bell Bottom Blues" is probably my all time favorite Clapton song.

In terms of favorite guitarists, I gotta say Hendrix, Chet Atkins, Danny Gatton, and Stevie Ray Vaughan. Unfortunately I'll never see any of them play because they are all um... living impaired.

I think Doyle Dykes is hands-down the best living guitarist. I've seen him play a couple of times and his technical proficiency is unreal, but his music is still incredibly soulful. If you are a fan of fingerstyle guitar (like Chet Atkins, Les Paul, etc), you owe it to yourself to check him out. Here's a little youtube sample.
    Process and dismissal. Shelter and location. Everybody wants somewhere.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    He doesn't have as much name recognition as Beck, Clapton, etc., but I think that Derek Trucks (Allman Bros., Derek Trucks Band, Govt Mule) is right up there too.

Solo Rockin' Horse

Crossroads II Guitar Festival - Eric Clapton/Derek Trucks

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Raputa The Buta

OK, here's the set-up.....the TV airways are filled with advertisements for movies that are opening this Thanksgiving weekend. Included is the kid's flick called Tangled, apparently loosely based on the Rapunzel story. Every time I see the commercial I am reminded of this classic tune, with the wild intro. Cyburbians near my age should remember it. Classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIZpz6c49lc

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Watching the late(s) Stevie Ray Vaughn and Albert King In Session on PBS from 1983. Damn, those guys were great! Need to watch all my SRV DVD and VHS again. Bass player is Gus Thornton, he's got great touch and time too.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    He doesn't have as much name recognition as Beck, Clapton, etc., but I think that Derek Trucks (Allman Bros., Derek Trucks Band, Govt Mule) is right up there too.

Solo Rockin' Horse

Crossroads II Guitar Festival - Eric Clapton/Derek Trucks
    Agreed. NOw he's touring with Susan Tedeschi. I would love to see them. Trucks is an amazing guitarist. Another couple guitarists who don't have the name recognition but I think are great are Joe Bonamassa and Walter Trout
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Nov 2010
    So, on Fridays, I take the liberty of playing music in my office other than low-volume classical or smooth jazz... but I'm not sure the song that just popped up on my ipod shuffle playlist fits the government office environment: Bloodhound Gang's "The Bad Touch"

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    All this talk about guitarists reminded me of this clip of Metallica and special guests performing "Train Kept a Rollin'" with 6 guitarists (Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Ronnie Wood, Joe Perry, Kirk Hammett, James Hetfield), 3 bassists (Jason Newsted, Robert Trujillo, and Flea), and 1 drummer (Lars Ulrich): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_JqJY5z0T8
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post

I cannot stand Satriani.
    Ive been getting back into hendrix lately, and I have to say - his playing doesnt even compare to some of the better players of today. BUT -for his time he was so far ahead of anyone. Probably the most influential player of the last 40 years.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Anybody else rapidly burning out from overexposure to Pomplamoose (cute girl, hyperactive guy on Toyota Christmas commercials)?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Anybody else rapidly burning out from overexposure to Pomplamoose (cute girl, hyperactive guy on Toyota Christmas commercials)?
    Perhaps you spend too much time watching TV, sofa potato. May I suggest: reading a book, sitting in the hot tub, traveling to exotic places, washing your car, getting drunk on , cleaning your windows, or getting laid?

I've never seen the commercial. But I live a sheltered life.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Perhaps you spend too much time watching TV, sofa potato. May I suggest: reading a book, sitting in the hot tub, traveling to exotic places, washing your car, getting drunk on , cleaning your windows, or getting laid?

I've never seen the commercial. But I live a sheltered life.
    Off-topic:
    May I suggest that judicious use of
    Off-topic:
    RJ
    tags would be an improvement for you to consider? Perhaps using my time a bit more efficiently and avoiding drunken stupors means that I don't fall asleep in front of the tv?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Yes. Very annoying that they think "that's what the kids will like." It makes me miss SUV's winding through a rugged mountain range.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    As a child I used to have a Disney Christmas record. I haven't thought about that record for years. This morning I woke up singing one of the songs from it.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I think you mean the Hyundai commercials with the somewhat hipster-looking people singing sappy Christmas songs. Yeah. I hate those.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    I think you mean the Hyundai commercials with the somewhat hipster-looking people singing sappy Christmas songs. Yeah. I hate those.
    Remembering the commercial but not the product is always a clue to the effectiveness of the marketing campaign.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2004
    Langhorne Slim. A dude and a guitar and three chords. Pure awesomeness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8Joa...eature=related

Registered
    Aug 2005
    MGMT - Kids

My nephews and I danced to this at our reception. Good song but gets stuck in your head.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Wilco

Here's one of my favorite bands, Wilco, in a live performance of one of my favorite Wilco tunes, I Am Trying To Break Your Heart.

Bear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLlg9LMPwnE
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    Here's one of my favorite bands, Wilco, in a live performance of one of my favorite Wilco tunes, I Am Trying To Break Your Heart.

Bear
    If you haven't seen it already, you should check out the Wilco documentary of the same name.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    MGMT - Kids

My nephews and I danced to this at our reception. Good song but gets stuck in your head.
    I play a mean version of that on the guitar

I actually dig the song "Electric Feel" more. But they are both pretty rocking

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    I play a mean version of that on the guitar

I actually dig the song "Electric Feel" more. But they are both pretty rocking
    Ooh, I'd love to hear it! Please to record and send.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    If you like MGMT you should also check out Architecture in Helsinki.

Some of my other current favorites include
    - Andrew Bird
    - Mason Jennings
    - Air (never gets old)
    - Beach House
    - Iron and Wine
    - El Ten Eleven
    - Groove Armada

I love music!

+ Reply to thread
Page 35 of 49 FirstFirst ... 25 34 35 36 45 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia