Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Another Music Thread

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

The Latest Stack Going To The Office CD Player

As I prepare for the short Thanksgiving Holiday week, I have grabbed another tall stack of CD's.....for my listening pleasure in the office at the workplace, when I do actually get the chance to be in that room and not on the floor, putting out the usual "fires". Check 'em out.....

Alive In America - Steely Dan
    Let It Be, Naked - The Beatles
    The Best Of..... - Mark-Almond
    This Desert Life - Counting Crows
    We've Got A Live One Here - Commander Cody & His Lost Planet Airmen
    Wanted Dead Or Alive - David Bromberg
    Four - Blues Traveler
    Big Bad VooDoo Daddy - Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
    Sophisticated Lady (Duke's Greatest Hits) - Duke Ellington
    Live At Budokan - Bob Dylan
    Tribute To Bob Wills - Asleep At The Wheel
    Pet Sounds - The Beach Boys
    Summerteeth - Wilco

Getting ready to kick-start Thanksgiving with a grab bag of music.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

Still Another Stack At The Office

Here's my latest stack of CD's, taken to the office the weekend of 12-16-05.....

Greatest Hits (Badfinger)
    All That You Can't Leave Behind (U2)
    The Hits: Cameo-Parkway (Various Philly Groups) (3 Discs)
    Boogie-Woogie Christmas (Brian Setzer & His Orchestra)
    Zoot Suit Riot (Cherry Poppin' Daddies)
    Greatest Hits (Boston)
    1962-1966 (Beatles) (2 Discs)
    1967-1970 (Beatles) (2 Discs)
    Best Of (Supertramp)

When Badfinger first arrived on the scene, we all assumed it was The Beatles. The Cameo-Parkway set is a lot of fun. I played basketball with Tom Sholz, from the group Boston. (He grew up in a Toledo suburb.) I never tire of listening to The Beatles.

Bloody Well Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Bear-You need an ipod!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Bands nobody knows

The Ultimate Band List site is one outlet for unknown artists, who can use the site to post samples of their songs, list their performance schedules and collect fans. It includes bands with names such as Grounded Outlet, Brother to Brother and SmokingBill.
    Check out http://www.ubl.com/

Found in the Indy Star's Cool Dot.com column Dec. 30, 2005.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm listening to Out of Exile by Audioslave. It's alright for background noise.

Jerry Garcia Band Double Live has a nice religious churchy feel to it. Melvin Seals plays a Hammond B-3, so there ya go!

Eyes of the Maker

I'm listening to Lord of the Rings BBC production, very good!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Bands nobody knows

The Ultimate Band List site is one outlet for unknown artists, who can use the site to post samples of their songs, list their performance schedules and collect fans. It includes bands with names such as Grounded Outlet, Brother to Brother and SmokingBill.
    Check out http://www.ubl.com/

Found in the Indy Star's Cool Dot.com column Dec. 30, 2005.
    Now that's interesting... although there another site, www.pandora.com that will find even more unknown bands than UBL, just by relating any song you like and searching for similar songs by other artists.

My brother found lots of great unknown bands such as: A Northern Chorus, Broken Social Scene, The Arcade Fire, American Analog Set, and others... thanks to that site.

Thanks to the wonders of internet and p2p I, someone in the middle of nowhere can find these bands and listen to them, and generally if I like them I try to find them here (rare) and if I do I buy their albums (so, RIAA can shut up by saying that p2p is harming the industry, when it actually promotes rare bands) and if I can't find them here, there's always Amazon or any other e-shop.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm listening to Metallica...what is this teh "Black Album"? Some cool dance songs. I should turn it up louder.....oh, it's a work night.

"Where ever I may roam"

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Now listening to GOD FORBID (CONSTITUTION OF TREASON) an interesting death metal/hardcore band (interestingly a mix of black and white members-the lead singer (er, growler/screamer) is a quite colorful black guy, Byron Davis. They are rawwwwwww in concert.

Next up: Modest Mouse, Ministry, and Radiohead.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    "Where ever I may roam"
    I have "S&M" in my car at the moment

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    In my all-time Top Ten is Radiohead's "OK Computer". I love that album.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    What I heard on NPR this morning:
    'Misirlou,' from Klezmer to Surf Guitar

Weekend Edition - Sunday, January 8, 2006 The tune "Misirlou" has traveled quite a path, from klezmer music to 1950s exotica acts and finally to surf guitar and an appearance in the 1994 film Pulp Fiction.

Many of you heard it again in a Jan. 1 feature by Jon Kalish on Lionel Ziprin's efforts to preserve the recordings of his grandfather, Rabbi Nuftali Zvi Margolies Abulafia.

Surf guitar legend Dick Dale & His Del-Tones turned the melody into a sizzling electric riff in the early 1960s. His grandparents were born in Lebanon, and as a child he remembers hearing his relatives play "Misirlou," which translates as "The Egyptian," on the Middle Eastern lute called the oud.

Yale Strom, adjunct professor of enthnography at New York University, helps trace the history of a hardy melody all the way back to its Greek and Turkish roots.
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=5134530
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    In my all-time Top Ten is Radiohead's "OK Computer". I love that album.

Bear
    It's a good one! But you know, politics aside, Hail to the Thief MAYeven be better. I am on a major radiohead jag right now.

This may destory my reputation as a metalhead, but I am also really enjoying Interpol's new album. Awesome Brit-pop from a NYC band. I'm probably annoying my neighbors right now.

Registered
    May 2003
    When I went into the office over the weekend I took this box set with me.....

The Beatles
    The Capitol Releases
    4-Discs

"Meet The Beatles"
    "The Beatles Second Album"
    "Something New"
    "Beatles 65"
    _____

15-year old Bear, hitchhiking over to Arlan's Department Store (one of the original "big boxes".....now long gone).....had to get a copy of "Meet The Beatles".....clutched it tight on the hitch back home.....played it over and over and over......hooked.....

Forty-two (42) years later.....

57-year old Bear, driving to workplace.....carrying CD of Beatles' box that includes "Meet the Beatles".....popped it on player.....played it over and over and over.....still hooked.....

Bear With Monkey On His Back
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

The Latest Stack

Here's the latest stack of CD's that I carried into the office this cold winter morning:

All The Fine Young Cannibals (CD given to me by my older grand-daughter)
    Anthology (Uncle Tupelo) (This is a superb set!)
    Fallen (Evanscence)
    Greatest Hits (Queen) (We will rock you!)
    Mermaid Avenue (Billy Bragg & Wilco)
    # 1's (Beatles)
    Reality Bites (Soundtrack....includes "MySharona" !!! )
    Super 70's (Collection of 1970's tunes)
    Rainy Day Music (Jayhawks) (I just had this in the office. I love it.)
    Essentials (Bruce Springsteen)

Good rockin' in the Bear's office.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Currently in my mp3 player pendrive:
    -A Northern Chorus - Spirit Flags
    -A Northern Chorus - Bitter Hands Resign
    -Autolux - Future Perfect
    -Do Make Say Think - & Yet & Yet
    -Paatos - Kallocain

Encoding in VBR(Variable Bit Rate) with an average of 128kbps, gives me around 1MB per minute or less. So in my 256MB (245MB real) I can have like 4 hours of music... and at a decent quality.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton
    Currently in my mp3 player pendrive:
    -Do Make Say Think - & Yet & Yet

I actually saw them live at a small club (Bottom of the Hill-Great Place) in San Francisco. I have a DMST teeshirt, actually

Now Playing:

Octavia Sperati. Italian gothy-doomy metal with a woman singer who has the kind of world weary, yet powerful style that I like in female vocalists. Not breaking any new grounds at all (Third and the Mortal and The Gathering and Madder Mortem have all done this style in the past), buit still well-done, catchy songs with some odd little endearing quirks. A keeper.

Kayo Dot. Now this is crazy stuff. Death Metal +Jazz+ the Kitchen Sink Good stuff!!!!!

Ordo Rosarius Equilibrio: Evil Swedish stuff. Disturbing but thought provoking lyrics.

Harvestman-Quite good guitar drone project from fantastic hardcore death-metallers Neurosis' lead man, Steve Van Til, Love Neurosis, like this stuff

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    HOW TO SING THE BLUES: A PRIMER

1. Most Blues begin, "Woke up this morning..."

2. "I got a good woman" is a bad way to begin the Blues, unless you stick something nasty in the next line like, "I got a good woman, with the meanest face in town."

3. The Blues is simple. After you get the first line right, repeat it.
    Then find something that rhymes... sort of: "Got a good woman with the meanest face in town. Yes, I got a good woman with the meanest face in town. Got teeth like Margaret Thatcher, and she weigh 500 pound."

4. The Blues is not about choice. You stuck in a ditch, you stuck in a ditch-ain't no way out.

5. Blues cars: Chevys, Fords, Cadillacs and broken-down trucks. Blues don't travel in Volvos, BMWs, or Sport Utility Vehicles. Most Blues transportation is a Greyhound bus or a southbound train, blues NEVER go on the northbound train. Jet aircraft and state-sponsored motor pools ain't even in the running. walkin' plays a major part in the blues lifestyle. So does fixin' to die.

6. Teenagers can't sing the Blues. They ain't fixin' to die yet. Adults sing the Blues. In Blues, "adulthood" means being old enough to Get the electric chair if you shoot a man in Memphis.

7. Blues can take place in New York City but not in Hawaii or any place in Canada. Hard times in Minneapolis or Seattle is probably just clinical depression. Chicago, St. Louis, and Kansas City are still the best places to have the Blues. You cannot have the blues in any place that don't get rain.

8. A man with male pattern baldness ain't the blues. A woman with male pattern baldness is. Breaking your leg cause you were skiing is not the blues. Breaking your leg 'cause a alligator be chomping on it is.

9. You can't have no Blues in an office or a shopping mall. The lighting is wrong. Go outside to the parking lot or sit by the dumpster.

10. Good places for the Blues:
    a. highway
    b. jailhouse
    c. empty bed
    d. bottom of a whiskey glass

Bad places for the Blues:
    a. Nordstroms
    b. gallery openings
    c. Ivy League institutions
    d. golf courses

11. No one will believe it's the Blues if you wear a suit, 'less you happen to be an old person, and you slept in it for the last 6 months..

12. Do you have the right to sing the Blues? Yes, if:
    a. you older than dirt
    b. you blind
    c. you shot a man in Memphis
    d. you can't be satisfied

Not if:
    a. you have all your teeth
    b. you were once blind but now can see
    c. the man in Memphis lived
    d. you have a 401K or trust fund

13. Blues is not a matter of color. It's a matter of bad luck. Tiger Woods cannot sing the blues. Sonny Liston could. Ugly white people also got a leg up on the blues.

14. If you ask for water and your darlin' give you gasoline, it's the Blues.
    Other acceptable Blues beverages are:
    a. cheap wine
    b. whiskey or bourbon
    c. muddy water
    d. nasty black coffee

The following are NOT Blues beverages:
    a. Perrier
    b. Chardonnay
    c. Snapple
    d. Slim Fast

15. If death occurs in a cheap motel or a shotgun shack, it's a Blues death. Stabbed in the back by a jealous lover is another Blues way to die.
    So is the electric chair, substance abuse and dying lonely on a broken down cot. You can't have a Blues death if you die during a tennis match or while getting liposuction.

16. Some Blues names for women:
    a. Sadie
    b. Big Mama
    c. Bessie
    d. Fat River Dumpling

17. Some Blues names for men:
    a. Joe
    b. Willie
    c. Little Willie
    d. Big Willie

18. Persons with names like Michelle, Amber, Debbie, and Heather can't sing the Blues no matter how many men they shoot in Memphis.

19. Make your own Blues name Starter Kit:
    a. name of physical infirmity (Blind, Cripple, Lame, etc.) b. first name (see above) plus name of fruit (Lemon, Lime, Kiwi, etc.)

c. last name of President (Jefferson, Johnson, Fillmore, etc.)

For example: Blind Lime Jefferson, Jakeleg Lemon Johnson or Cripple Kiwi Fillmore, etc. (Well, maybe not "Kiwi.")

20. I don't care how tragic your life: if you own even one computer, you cannot sing the blues. (DAMN!)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Luckless, just sent that to my grandpappy in Memphis. That is funny.

Signed,

Lockjaw Pomegranate Adams.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Now listening to GOD FORBID (CONSTITUTION OF TREASON) an interesting death metal/hardcore band (interestingly a mix of black and white members-the lead singer (er, growler/screamer) is a quite colorful black guy, Byron Davis. They are rawwwwwww in concert.

I think I have heard Modest Mouse, they are not death metal are they?? When I was in Portland, OR my friend had his radio on in the car and everytime I heard a song I didnt know and liked it he would tell me it was Modest Mouse (at least I think thats who it was)...so jsut to make sure, they are not death metal are they??

Registered
    Aug 2001
    LP, that is good. I'll send that to my boss tonight.

s/
    Witheredfoot Quince Eisenhower

Registered
    Dec 1998
    You haven't heard innovative music until you've listened to M.I.A. "Arular."
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    I think I have heard Modest Mouse, they are not death metal are they?? When I was in Portland, OR my friend had his radio on in the car and everytime I heard a song I didnt know and liked it he would tell me it was Modest Mouse (at least I think thats who it was)...so jsut to make sure, they are not death metal are they??
    Modest Mouse... Death Metal.... with that name? Ok, I'm sure you just though it could be because BKM likes death metal. So, no it's just pop rock, not even near with death metal...

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton
    Modest Mouse... Death Metal.... with that name? Ok, I'm sure you just though it could be because BKM likes death metal. So, no it's just pop rock, not even near with death metal...
    Well..pop rock doesn't do the craziness and sheer quirkiness of Modest Mouse justice. They are like a misbegotten love child between Radiohead and They Might be Giants.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    This may destory my reputation as a metalhead, but I am also really enjoying Interpol's new album. Awesome Brit-pop from a NYC band. I'm probably annoying my neighbors right now.
    You can be metal-head and still like Interpol. I mean, their music is kind-of brooding I suppose. I put their latest on the ol' I-Pod and have been listening to it on a regular basis. Great theme music for riding the bus home in the rain the other night. Dammit! now I'm getting all moody.

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Christmas Music Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 74
    Last post: 11 Jul 2010, 9:44 AM
  2. The Random Music Thoughts Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 24 Nov 2004, 11:04 PM
  3. Replies: 2