Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 43 of 49 FirstFirst ... 33 42 43 44 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1207

Thread: Just Another Music Thread

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Isn't it about time for Mac Davis to stage a big comeback?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Dire Straits, Sultans of Swing on the iPod tonight.

Woohoo!! Here come Johnny....do the walk of life. woohoo.

Registered
    Jul 2006

Snoop Dogg, Snoop Lion

Hang on Snoopy, hang on...Not sure how someone born before Bob Marley died can be his reincarnation but if you smoke the wacky weed.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...-reincarnated/
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Isn't it about time for Mac Davis to stage a big comeback?
    Sure, if the new trend is "perms" for guys.

Why do you try so hard to freak us out???

Oh, just a thought: are you Cyb admins trying to cull all us old people who actually know who Mac Davis is???
    Last edited by Zoning Goddess; 31 Jul 2012 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Maister is being devious

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Listening to Coldplay, Viva la Vida, on the iPod.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    This maybe belongs in the Confessions thread, but I just am discovering Tom Waits. I had no freaking clue. Amazing.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    This maybe belongs in the Confessions thread, but I just am discovering Tom Waits. I had no freaking clue. Amazing.
    Is this by any chance due to the Tom Waits song ('The Piano has Been Drinking') I linked yesterday?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Is this by any chance due to the Tom Waits song ('The Piano has Been Drinking') I linked yesterday?
    You know that it is! I'd seen his name before, and after the link I had to look him up and listen. Couldn't stop. Love it all.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    You know that it is! I'd seen his name before, and after the link I had to look him up and listen. Couldn't stop. Love it all.
    My second favorite Tom Waits song is "Let it Rain". Check it out if you get a chance

Registered
    Dec 2008
    My second favorite Tom Waits song is "Let it Rain". Check it out if you get a chance
    Will do. I'm going to Graywhale (local used music shop) to find some CDs tonight. I thought about having my daughters get me some stuff on their i-tunes, but it seemed wrong for Mr. Waits somehow.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I'm a little late to seeing this (apparently it was put together in 2011)...but this might be the best youtube music video I've ever seen (from the folks at Bad Lip Reading, who did some great comedy vids during the presidential debates):

"Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Why did I say let it rain'? it's Make it rain!

Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Why do you try so hard to freak us out???
    I don't really try all that hard, but to answer the question, mostly it's just part of playing my on-line persona.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Off-topic:
    it's just part of playing my on-line persona.
    Catfishing ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Off-topic:

Catfishing ?
    Off-topic:
    Busted. It's time I come clean. Really I'm an 83 year widowed homemaker named Mabel Johnson. I enjoy knitting, baking brownies, and doting on my 14 cats. My favorite tv shows are all daytime soaps. Oh, and McGyver. Sorry for misleading any of you.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Hearts tribute to Led Zeppelin - very worthy listening to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e2fJ...ature=youtu.be

Bear would have said play it loud !
    Oddball

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    WTF -

Was it wrong for Beyonce to have lip-synced the national anthem at inauguration ?
    Last edited by JNA; 22 Jan 2013 at 10:40 PM.
    Oddball

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    WTF -

Was it wrong for Beyonce to have lip-synced the national anthem at inauguration ?
    Much ado about nothing, IMHO. Slow news day??

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I took my copy of Tom Moon's 1,000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die off the shelf this morning, put the list into Excel and assigned each recording a random number and am going to randomly select three of those random numbers each day to listen to three of the recordings (with the help of YouTube, iTunes, Spotify, and AllMusic) and then will delete each recording as I listen to it so I don't get any repeats.

Day 1:
    • Andy Statman, Between Heaven & Earth: Music of the Jewish Mystics
    • Peter Gabriel, Peter Gabriel 3
    • Jimmy Giuffre's 1961 duo, Fusion and Thesis
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jul 2006
    If you're gonna play in Texas, you gotta have a fiddle in the band
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I took my copy of Tom Moon's 1,000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die off the shelf this morning, put the list into Excel and assigned each recording a random number and am going to randomly select three of those random numbers each day to listen to three of the recordings (with the help of YouTube, iTunes, Spotify, and AllMusic) and then will delete each recording as I listen to it so I don't get any repeats.

Day 1:
    I'm impressed! Sounds like quite the endeavor. Keep us updated on how it goes!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post

Day 1:
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I'm impressed! Sounds like quite the endeavor. Keep us updated on how it goes!
    A quick recap of Day 1

Between Heaven & Earth: Music of the Jewish Mystics - Klezmer music meets smooth jazz. Not a fan.
    Peter Gabriel 3 - One of my older brothers listened to Peter Gabriel and Genesis constantly when I was little but I don't think I had ever heard this one before (though I did recognize bits and pieces). It made me want to throw some more Peter Gabriel on the record player when I got home yesterday evening, which I promptly did.
    Fusion and Thesis - I was only able to find a few tracks from each of these two albums but what I found I really liked. If you like Grant Green or Dave Brubeck style jazz (lot of bop, not much dissonance) you'd probably like this. I may actually look around on eBay to see if I can find the full versions of these on vinyl.

Day 2:
    • The Mars Volta, Bedtime in Goliath
    • Stan Getz & João Gilberto, Getz/Gilberto
    • Almanac Singers, Their Complete General Recordings

It only took two days to come up with a recording that I already have on my iPod (Bedtime in Goliath).

I'm looking forward to this mix. I already know I like the Mars Volta album and I like Brazilian jazz so the Getz and Gilberto recording should be interesting. I was going to make a crack about liking the Almanac Singers even though I never heard of them but I love almanacs... but then I saw that Pete Seeger and Woody Guthrie are in the band and the music was produced by Alan Lomax so that should be pretty interesting.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2005

8th grade this was my song...
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Day 3:
    • Mahlathini & The Mahotella Queens, Paris:Soweto
    • Beth Orton, Central Reservation
    • Paul Oakenfold, Tranceport

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Day 4:
    • Percy Sledge, When a Man Loves a Woman (7" version)
    • Joni Mitchell, Court & Spark
    • Gang of Four, Entertainment!

The Gang of Four album is one of my favorites from that era and I was lucky enough to see them perform at Coachella a few years ago.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Day 5:
    • Gil Scott Heron, Pieces of a Man
    • Gustav Holst, The Planets (William Steinberg - Boston Symphony Orchestra Recording)
    • George Gershwin, The Complete Works for Piano & Orchestra, with Rhapsody in Blue

Today must be sponsored by the letter "G".

The Holst piece is the first classical one that is coming up guiding me to a specific orchestral recording. Hopefully Spotify has that.

+ Reply to thread
Page 43 of 49 FirstFirst ... 33 42 43 44 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Christmas Music Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 74
    Last post: 11 Jul 2010, 8:44 AM
  2. The Random Music Thoughts Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 24 Nov 2004, 10:04 PM
  3. Replies: 2