Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Another Music Thread

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Our radio station up here has a band of the month... this month it's Red Shag Carpet, who has a great new song called So & So. You can download the mp3 for free from the band's website. I dig it!

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

jazz fusion? it's not really that bad...

not sure if this is the right thread for this but here's 50 of the worst things about rock - it's pretty good

i liked #13 and #6 the best...

http://music.aol.com/home/blender/rock-6

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Has anyone bought and listened to the new "Tool" CD that came out Tuesday? Reviews? Should I get it?
    Annoyingly insensitive

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Johnny Paris

Johnny Paris died this week. I will bet dollars to donuts that just a few Cyburbians know who he was. I will also bet those same dollars to donuts that most Cyburbians have never heard of his rock and roll band.

Johnny & The Hurricanes ruled the charts in the early 1960's. Playing strictly instrumental guitar, sax, drums and organ rock and roll they scored with hits such as "Red River Rock" and "Reveille Rock". During a tour of Europe in the early 60's they shared a bill with some English band named "The Beatles".

Because they were from Rossford, OH, a Toledo suburb that you can literally see from downtown Toledo, we thought they were cool. At just about the same time, the Miss Teenage America contest was won by a Rossford beauty. We thought we lived in the center of the world.

You have probably heard some of their tunes. Go to CD Now or CD Univrese a listen to a snipet from their song library. Should be familiar, because your parents probably had the 45-RPM discs.

Rest in peace, Johnny Paris.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Recently, on a whim, I picked up a cd of The Hives from the local library. I was totally surprised how much I liked the songs on the cd.

Does anyone know anything about the Hives?

Registered
    May 2003
    Hceux.....A couple years ago I picked-up The Hive's "Veni Vici Vicious", because of the resemblance on some of the tunes to one of the best punk bands of all time (and way-way ahead of their time), the MC5. I like about half of the album's songs.

I am not familiar with their other CD's. Good choice on "Veni...", though.

luckless pedestrian.....Cool list. I believe it was put out by "Blender", a music rag that has been effectively stealing many of "Rolling Stone"'s readers, especially young (and seemingly "hip") readers. Of course, being a sixties' teen, I would NEVER put "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" on that list. One (1) of my favorite albums of all-time.

Remember, the music we dig is most often the music that affected us in a personal way.

Bear, Not That Far From Sixty-Four
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hceux
    Recently, on a whim, I picked up a cd of The Hives from the local library. I was totally surprised how much I liked the songs on the cd.

Does anyone know anything about the Hives?
    Yeah the Hives get a bit of air time on our national youth radio station, which plays a lot of alternative home grown and overseas stuff.

I think they are pretty good
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Jay of Jay and the Americans may be forced to sell rights to name

Headline and articlefrom the AP Wire:
    http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wi...gion-apnewyork

Highlights:
    .... owes $500,000 in back taxes. Lawyers are recommending he sell off the rights to the group's name to help repay his creditors a move that the man with the familiar baritone voice says would crush him.

...lawyers for the bankruptcy trustee handling the case recommended to the court this week that the name "Jay and the Americans," which they consider a valuable asset, be auctioned off so they can pay Black's creditors a fair share.

They have proposed barring Black from performing under the name "Jay Black" or "Jay Black and the Americans" to preserve the value of the name and the good will attached to it for its new owner.
    I wonder how many other artist have to deal with lost of rights to their work ?
    other than the Beatles.

Did anybody like "This Magic Moment" ?

Registered
    May 2003
    JNA.....I didn't care much for "This Magic Moment" or some of the other Jay & The Americans songs. About the time they arrived on the scene I was plugging into heavier stuff. I did like "Cara Mia".....had almost a classsical feel to the melody.

Bear Having A Saturday Moment
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Jay of Jay and the Americans may be forced to sell rights to name

Headline and articlefrom the AP Wire:
    http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wi...gion-apnewyork

Highlights:

I wonder how many other artist have to deal with lost of rights to their work ?
    other than the Beatles.

Did anybody like "This Magic Moment" ?
    It's in my iPod, but it is certainly not my 'favorite'.

Isn't one of the biggest performer beefs against the record companies ('labels') the fact that they and not the artists own the rights to the recordings?

In fact, the reason why Prince (that's his real, Christened first name) used that wierd logo for his name a few years ago was not because he was trying to outwierd himself, but that Warner Brothers would not let him keep his name when he changed labels. IIRC, Warner still owns the rights to all of those recordings. Ditto the Jackson family when they left Motown, etc.
    (and then the labels wonder why they are held in such low regards... )

Mike

Registered
    Aug 2001
    In the CD player: Best of The Tubes.

I don’t want to waaaaait anymore
    I just don’t think I have the strength
    The strength to carry on

EDIT: In the player now: Best of Smashing Pumpkins....cool

Disarm I used to be little boy...
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 07 May 2006 at 12:28 AM.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Now Listening to anm older album, Arise, from Sepultura, an excellent Brazillian death metal band who I've only recently discovered. Next up, the new Tool, which from a sample sounds like it will be pretty hot.

Have a bit of a buzz on, as it turns out that a resident of my neighboirhood makes wine on a semi-professional basis, then sells it at annual parties. I bought two bottles. Also tasted raw wine from the barrel for the first time. I liked it! He had quite a spread, and there must have been a 150 people there.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    .... Next up, the new Tool, which from a sample sounds like it will be pretty hot.....
    Got it yesterday and listened to it for the second time this afternoon. I like it. Nothing commercial on this CD. You won’t hear any of it on your local radio. BTW, I can’t figure out how to work the stereoscopic lenses….
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Got it yesterday and listened to it for the second time this afternoon. I like it. Nothing commercial on this CD. You won’t hear any of it on your local radio. BTW, I can’t figure out how to work the stereoscopic lenses….
    I've never heard of anything you listen to. Am I old or what?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    I've never heard of anything you listen to. Am I old or what?
    (You've answered your own question. )

Never heard of The Tubes? You’ve lead an exceptionally sheltered life here in the south…I can’t believe they’re only a west coast thing…..no way. I bought the CD here!!

We have differences, don't we?

Su-su-sushi (hot sake)
    She go mushi (wasabe)

Can I get an amen…..?
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Sep 1999

Su-su-sushi (hot sake)
    She go mushi (wasabe)
    You're kidding, right? Right?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    You're kidding, right? Right?
    Nope. Here they are.

http://www.thetubes.com/lyrics/sushi.htm

Can I get an amen?
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Oct 2001
    BTW, I can’t figure out how to work the stereoscopic lenses….
    Me neither. Could it be Maynard's idea of a joke-look what the dweebs are doing.

I'm 43 now, so I should be listening to smooth jazz and Bob Seger, I guess.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    .... I should be listening to smooth jazz ....
    I listened to that stuff once, then jumped out of the cab and hurt my head. Didn't even get the receipt.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I listened to that stuff once, then jumped out of the cab and hurt my head. Didn't even get the receipt.
    Yeah. Modern jazz, frankly, inspires in me almost a psychotic rage And, to hear the pretentious burblings of the listeners about it (sorry, smooth jazz fans)-they are worse than Grateful Dead fanatics.

Now, old jazz from my parents' generation (40s and even 50s). That makes me realize how far "popular culture" has declined. Count Basie versus...Maroon 5? Come on.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Johnny Paris died this week. I will bet dollars to donuts that just a few Cyburbians know who he was.
    SNIP SNIP SNIP EDIT SNIP SNIP
    You have probably heard some of their tunes.
    Bear
    Odd that a few days after I mention the death of Johnny & The Hurricane's front man Johnny Paris, they play one of their songs on the latest Sunday night installment of "The Sopranos".

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    ack, Bob Seeger - I get an instant flashback to high school make out parties in basements of hosues -

listening to Donald Fagen's new cd: Morph the Cat - it's really great

Registered
    May 2003

Double Albums & Other Music Randoms

luckless pedestrian.....Based on your recommendation, this Bear will be purchasing the new Donald Fagen CD. Years ago I picked by "The Nightfly" and loved it. Great tunes included "Walking Through Raindrops" (or some such title) and "New Frontier". I also have all of the original Steely Dan albums, vinyl.

Others On The List.....As mentioned, putting together a list of CD's to buy. In addition to the new Donald Fagen offering ("Morph The Cat"), I will be getting the following:

"We Shall Overcome" (Bruce Springsteen & Others.....Pete Seeger Sessions)
    "Hollywood Town Hall" (Jayhawks)
    "Beatles Capitol Releases Volume II" (Beatles)

And before I send my order in, I am trying to determine THE BEST version of "Pictures At An Exhibition". The version I have is missing "strength". Years ago I had an album vresion that was much stronger. (Not talking about the rock and roll version by Emerson, Lake, & Palmer....although that was very good, too.)

I am guessing that Mr. Budgie may comment on Springsteen's Seeger effort. Bruce may be a Jersey boy but he sure puts feeling into his presentations.

Double Albums.....Old xxxxs like me remember the days of vinyl DOUBLE ALBUMS. (When re-issued on CD, they are usually crammed into a single CD.) We always looked forward to these double puppies. And we always had fun trying to determine what tunes could be cut out and make it a single album. Of course, we never agreed.

Here's a few that this Bear owns and listens to, even many moons later.....

"The Beatles" (White album by The Beatles, released 1968)
    "Frampton Comes Alive" (Peter Frampton)
    "Concert For The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame" (Various artists)
    "Where We All Belong" (Marshall Tucker Band)
    "Live" (Lighthouse)
    "Live At Isle Of Wight" (The Who)

The White album is considered one of the best albums of all time. It was almost like a warning.....and it was a great hunk of music. Frampton's double-album was the best-selling double-album of all-time. ("Do you feel like I do?" )

If you get a chance, check out Iggy Pop's "Concert For The R & R Hall Of Fame" version of "Back Door Man". It is a hoot.

Tucker's "24 Hours At A Time" live is one of the best daxx road songs ever. Our friends in Canada should know about the group Lighthouse.....in the 1970's they ruled in "the great white north". "Old Man" is one of the best mixes of rock and jazz you will ever hear.

My favorite song to play loud is "We're Not Gonna Take It", from The Who's Isle of Wight concert. If you play it soft, you will be arrested and thrown in jail. Max volume required!

I am probably not remembering all of my fave double-albums. Any of you have any faves? (You probably have to be over 45 to answer, unless you are a hip Republican from Illinois. )

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    BTW, I can’t figure out how to work the stereoscopic lenses….
    You apparently don't have hard enough drugs at your disposal The album sure does rock though

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Bear - on vinyl, very impressive

you know Donald Fagen and Walter Becker got their start in the 60's writing for Jay and the Americans

your trivia for today

+ Reply to thread
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Christmas Music Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 74
    Last post: 11 Jul 2010, 9:44 AM
  2. The Random Music Thoughts Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 24 Nov 2004, 11:04 PM