Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HA! Well.... I went crazy.....

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

HA! Well.... I went crazy.....

And with that, ZmanPLAN went crazy and is building a house to be completed in May.
    The papers were signed yesterday and construction shall begin soon (weather permitting).
    It's biggest drawback is that my commute ballooned to 20 miles instead of 4.
    But with that, I am getting a new home with warranty, it is Built Green with energy efficent windows, furnace, and water heater that never runs out and last twice as long as typical water heaters. Also the air filters are hypoallergenic, and there is an air circulation system that heats/cools the house evenly.
    3bd/2bth and because this was one of the last lots, a walkout basement and elevated deck and thrown in for free.
    For about $2000 more we were able to get a new place with all the features described above rather than an older place for the same amount, were a couple thousand in updating is needed.
    This is defiently a good place for resale, but by the sound of it, we may stay in there longer than a typical starter house would entail.
    Pictures may be posted periodically (if anyone is interested), this is a very exciting time and I couldn't sleep last night.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Congrats. And please DO share your photos. I know how excited you can feel about a new home.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Congrats on the (soon to be) new house.

Though, is the commute sacrifice really worth it (gas, extra wear&tear, lost time)?
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Congrats, I also bought a new home.

Top of the line baby
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator

Top of the line baby
    Can you help find me one of those with two additional bedrooms for the little guys?? Thanks!!

On a more serious note: ZMan, CONGRATS!!! The commute doesnt sound all that bad, then again you are in Colorado, I dont know if you are near mountains or what, but I imagine the snow could get bad?? Regardless, building a new house will be nice, if you and your g-friend make it through that, you can probably make it through anything Good luck and post pics often!! Congradulations!!

Registered
    Feb 2004

Top of the line baby
    (whistle of appreciation) Say, that's quite a deluxe model you went in for this time. Roomy and warm from the looks. I'm curious though, don't you find the ventilation qualities of the 200 PSI test corrugated to be inferior to the old 180's refrigerator box? Also, I would think you'd want to go with the new waxed surface carboard models - a little spilled cologne or cough syrup can be easily wiped away and doesn't necessarily mean another trip to the dumpster behind ABC Warehouse after an accident. Just a suggestion.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Zman - that is wonderful news! Congratulations!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    And in Buffalo, you'll be paying about $5,000 a year in property taxes on it. You're probably hounded by aluminum siding salesmen, too. Try to throw the house away, and you'll have preservationists on your back. "That Frigidaire carton was designed by noted industrial designer and Buffalo native Stan Kowalczakski! It must be saved!" (sorry preservationists)

zmanPLAN - are you going to be out in one of the little Weld County farm towns that are booming from "drive to qualify" FC/LL commuters?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Congrats! Exciting to begin building such a house.

And pat on the back for going green. While a green roof is not feasible for a house, have you considered using the new type of roofing shingle that is white in colour? It does much to reduce the effect of urban heat island and is such an obvious thing that it should be everywhere.

Cheers!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    zmanPLAN - are you going to be out in one of the little Weld County farm towns that are booming from "drive to qualify" FC/LL commuters?
    Exactly. It is east of Fort Collins and a 20 mile commute to work south of Fort Collins.

And to answer the gas and traffic issues, the Forester I bought in October gets 27 mpg in the city, and (as for now) the county roads in the area are pretty vacant, and the stretch of I-25 doesn't get too backed up. I'll find some routes throughout the course of building (and driving over to check on it) and fmaybe find a decent (and safe) bike route.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Exactly. It is east of Fort Collins and a 20 mile commute to work south of Fort Collins.

And to answer the gas and traffic issues, the Forester I bought in October gets 27 mpg in the city, and (as for now) the county roads in the area are pretty vacant, and the stretch of I-25 doesn't get too backed up. I'll find some routes throughout the course of building (and driving over to check on it) and fmaybe find a decent (and safe) bike route.
    Your making me miss it out there!! As much as I disliked Laramie, I loved Fort Collins...again good luck!!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Top of the line baby
    Sweet, the addition blends in nicely too. I almost thought it was all original. Impressive ventilation system on it too. Not much of a yard though.

Congrads Z
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Congrats, ZMP. And yes, we want photos!

Quote Originally posted by Dan
    And in Buffalo, you'll be paying about $5,000 a year in property taxes on it. You're probably hounded by aluminum siding salesmen, too. Try to throw the house away, and you'll have preservationists on your back. "That Frigidaire carton was designed by noted industrial designer and Buffalo native Stan Kowalczakski! It must be saved!" (sorry preservationists)
    No offense taken. (I like the *Stan* touch, btw.)
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Congratulations! You move d pretty fast on that one. It took me about two months to find a place.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Sounds like you're getting a great place. A twenty mile commute isn't all that awful and at least your car gets decent mileage. I know from friends how pricey housing can get as you move in toward Fort Collins, so I certainly won't bash you for that. Is there some nearby commercial, i.e. grocery stores, restaurants, etc? That would really make it pretty convenient.

Is the water heater they put in one of those "on-demand" water heaters where it's not sitting there having to keep a tank of water hot constantly. I've heard really good things about those regarding convenience because they don't take up a huge amount of space and give you hot water immediately rather than you having to wait. I think they are pretty popular in Europe, as I recall. Balanced HVAC will do wonders for your heating/cooling bill; we just had that done here at City Hall and the Finance Director said she saw about a 15% drop in the electric bill compared to the previous month with no real change in temperature.

*sigh* I wish we could have basements down here in Texas.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    Is there some nearby commercial, i.e. grocery stores, restaurants, etc? That would really make it pretty convenient.
    Grocery is on way home from work
    Most importantly, there is a liquor store nearby.

Is the water heater they put in one of those "on-demand" water heaters where it's not sitting there having to keep a tank of water hot constantly. I've heard really good things about those regarding convenience because they don't take up a huge amount of space and give you hot water immediately rather than you having to wait.
    Exactly right, it is mounted to the wall and completes the very same tasks you have described. Even in my small apartment, it takes a looooong time to get hot water, this one will be great!

-Peart

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Hey zman, that is great news! Congratulations. Please do share photos

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Congratulations, ZMAN. It's even great that you're excited and losing sleep over your green house.

Can't wait to see pics of your green house!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Congrats, and hope you're able to bike it to work often.

Congratulations!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Congrats! Please post lots of pics
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    If I have an opportunity with my house, I am definitely putting in one of those on-demand water heaters. That might be really handy in one of those old, historic houses that never seem to have enough closet space.

I just realized that in my last post I forgot to congratulate you on your purchase! The couple of green builders we have down here in San Antonio do excellent work (seems like their care for the environment, etc translates to care for the customer), so I'm sure yours will be great. I hope you make lots of great memories in your new "Casa de ZmanPlan"! Definitely post some picks as the sticks go up!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Dec 2001
    congrats! Buying a house is the worst and best thing you can do.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    congrats to both posters!

I am wondering if I should have installed an on-demand water heater when I recently updated mine. It was quite a bit more, I found.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Sweet News

Good job, now, who is the builder? McStain? Village? DR Horton? KB Homes?
    Skilled Adoxographer

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. All planners are crazy... but
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 20 Jul 2004, 4:45 PM
  2. Those crazy french
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 17 Mar 2004, 3:53 PM