Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Urban planning in college

Urban planning in college

Hi Everyone! My name is Craig and I am very interested in studying city planning in college. The problem is, I don't know which colleges have the best programs of study. My grades and test scores are high, so I have many options available. One thing I am worried about is that I don't have any planning experience. I have read a lot about cities, planning methods, and case studies through books and the internet. In addition I am creative and work hard. Most importantly, I find cities fascinating and believe that we can learn to make them a lot cleaner, safer, and more community oriented. Please help me out! Thanks!

For Undergraduate--

I'm told the University of Illinois Champaign/Urbana is supposed to be very good. Also, the University of Cincinnati.

Graduate:

University of Kansas-Lawrence, UCLA, NYU, Columbia, etc.

Check out Petersons.com for information on ratings, and so forth.

The Assoc. of Collegiate Schools of Planning publishes a book "Guide to Undergrad. and Grad. Educ. in Urban and regional Planning"; one of my profs. passed a 2000 copy to me a couple weeks ago and it answers most of what can be answered without calling/visiting in person...check out a copy!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The University of Texas at Arlington is where I earned my Masters. It is fully accredited by the APA. Students are required to take at least two "Get your feet wet" type classes where the school has hired out as a consultant for one of the surrounding communities. Also, being located in the D/FW metroplex, there are plenty of communities of varying sizes where one can find a job in the planning field.

If you are looking for an undergrad program, the only one I know of in Texas is at Southwest. I don't actually know the full name of that school but I think it may be in the UT system.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Shameless plug for my alma mater: Ball State University's Bachelor of Urban Planning & Development is a 5 year professional undergrad degree, and the Master of Urban & Regional Planning is a 2 year grad program, both accredited by the Planning Accreditation Board of the American Collegiate Schools of Planning.

Visit them on the web at http://www.bsu.edu/cap/planning/planning.html
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

I have to agree with Josh Pastin.

I'm a 3rd year University of Cincinnati student in the Urban Planning program, and based on your background, I think it would suite you well. It's a 5 year program, and you graduate with 2 years of real work experience from the oldest and best coop program in the country (UC started their coop program in the early 1800's). Check out their website at http://www.daap.uc.edu (it's the college of Design, Art, Architecture, and Planning).

Justin

I attended Ball State University myself and must say I feel it is an excellent program. The professors at BSU have strong planning backgrounds, it is an accredited program, class sizes are small, and the atmosphere is fantastic. Throughout the five years that spent through the program I learned a great deal about planning, and that learning occurred through real life, hands on projects. I would strongly recommend Ball State University’s Urban Planning program to anyone interested.

     
    Registered
    Nov 2004
    I understand Ball State has a very good undergraduate program. UNC-Chapel Hill has a new minor in planning (could major in economics, poli sci, or art history!).

Also in NC, Appalachian State University in Boone has a good reputation in the state. East Carolina University in Greenville also has an undergrad program, but I don't know anything about it.

For Undergrad: In Syracuse, the Environmental Science and Forestry school has a major in planning, however, I believe that it is a two year program and you have to do your first two years elsewhere. Plus, although they are affiliated with Syracuse University, it is SUNY tuition. definite plus for NY residents. I went to Geneseo State for Geography, and they have a Pre-Professional Planning option as a part of the major that might interest you. A lot of the Geneseo geography folk go on to Graduate School in Planning.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 12 Jul 2011, 12:19 AM
  2. Replies: 21
    Last post: 18 Jun 2008, 10:10 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 17 Apr 2007, 8:03 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 26 Oct 2005, 3:39 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last post: 03 Mar 2005, 12:55 PM