Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Believable Blue

Believable Blue

In a past job, one of our contractors sent out most of his client information on blue paper. He explained that the Republican Party had conducted a study to assess people's reactions to information presented on different colored backgrounds. The study determined that individuals tended to trust information more readily when presented on blue. Thus, the contractor decided that if it was good enough for the Republican Party that it was good enough for him, and he would start sending information out using "believable blue" paper.

Thus, I've always pictured the Republican Party as being blue and have a very hard time when people talk about Red States and Blue States, as I have to literally transpose these in my head as this seems backwards to me.

Does anyone else have this very nagging problem?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Dang straight Skippy.
    Red = Commie in my mind's eye. Thus I think its another cruel joke by the media to call us the "red" states. I think its all a calculated plot directed by their overlords in Pyongyang, especially NPR and PBS. Their the first ones up against the wall when the revolution starts.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Always associate Red with the left too, and Blue with right - but thats how it is here anyway - the Conservatives (Right Wing) have a crappy blue torch for their symbol, and Labour (Left wing, well used to be anyway ) have a limp red rose.

I use light blue paper for printing drafts - it makes them easy to visually separate from regular white paper. Also easy on the eye to read. Other colors, especially dark ones like red, are too hard to read (actually black type on red is nearly impossible and I don't bother trying), thus I avoid them. So, ignoring politcal color associations, the guy could be on to something.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Somewhat topic-related.....

All this talk about red states and blue states is not hinged to reality. There are strong Republican states and strong Democrat states. But there are a boatload of states that are only a few percentage % points away from changing colors.

These states are pretty evenly-divided (slight majority to red). What color are these states?

A good friend of mine is a member of the Republican National Committee (RNC). He doesn't like the "red" designation, either.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    One of my professors in grad school advised us to design our power points in blue & white...especially white lettering on a blue background.

According to this color site:

Blue is the color of the sky and sea. It is often associated with depth and stability. It symbolizes trust, loyalty, wisdom, confidence, intelligence, faith, truth, and heaven.

Blue is considered beneficial to the mind and body. It slows human metabolism and produces a calming effect. Blue is strongly associated with tranquility and calmness. In heraldry, blue is used to symbolize piety and sincerity.

You can use blue to promote products and services related to cleanliness (water purification filters, cleaning liquids, vodka), air and sky (airlines, airports, air conditioners), water and sea (sea voyages, mineral water). As opposed to emotionally warm colors like red, orange, and yellow; blue is linked to consciousness and intellect. Use blue to suggest precision when promoting high-tech products.

Blue is a masculine color; according to studies, it is highly accepted among males. Dark blue is associated with depth, expertise, and stability; it is a preferred color for corporate America.

Avoid using blue when promoting food and cooking, because blue suppresses appetite. When used together with warm colors like yellow or red, blue can create high-impact, vibrant designs; for example, blue-yellow-red is a perfect color scheme for a superhero.

Light blue is associated with health, healing, tranquility, understanding, and softness.
    Dark blue represents knowledge, power, integrity, and seriousness.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Floridays
    Dark blue represents knowledge, power, integrity, and seriousness.
    So that's why I like Dark blue...
    Go figure.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Oh Please......

Now you RadCons are trying to pit blue against red, when we all know green, yellow and orange are far better colors! Does everything have to be us vs. them with you types? Can't we all just get along........ Also, why don't the more moderate colors gray, khaki, brown and olive ever get any respect?

Anyway, I've always liked using blue ink on plain white paper, it just looks good and breaks up that boring black on white we always use....
    Skilled Adoxographer

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Blue Font Poll
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 33
    Last post: 16 Oct 2007, 10:15 AM
  2. a blue christmas?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 29
    Last post: 22 Dec 2005, 1:32 PM
  3. Replies: 1