Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Local businesses with distant branches

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Local businesses with distant branches

One trait of many retail businesses in Buffalo is that they'll open a branch in some far-flung location after they become successful. The popular local hot dog chain, Teds, had stores everywhere throughout Buffalo, and one in Tempe, Arizona. Santora's Pizza has outlets throughout the region, and one in Fort Lauderdale. The Tops grocery store chain started in Buffalo, expanded to Rochester and Cleveland, and ... Thailand. I've heard rumors of Mighty Taco opening up an outlet or two in Charlotte, to serve the huge Buffalo expat community there.

Is this just a Buffalo thing, or do local chains in other cities have one or two branches that are far-flung?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I dunno about the far flung bit, but Ted's (in Tempe) is massively popular. Funny, it is one mile from my house! I have never been though.
    Last edited by ludes98; 31 Jan 2005 at 4:23 PM. Reason: clarification

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    That may have happened with a chain here, The Italian Oven. They had restaurants all over the place here, in Florida, and I heard they opened restaurants in Australia. All but two that I know about in PA closed, but I think that the corporate offices are still here.

Tumbleweed, which got dissed in the "Bad Restaurant Experiences" thread got it's start in this little 'burg across the street from the public high school. Mainly in the midwest, it also has restaurants in Essex and London, England, two in Germany and one in Bruxelle.

Alsa, the service in this one is a tad lacking.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Several restaurants get started in my home town or region. When they look for additional locations, they are often drawn to places with a similar character, or that serve a college student market. Noodles, Cereality and Einstein Brothers are examples.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by kms
    That may have happened with a chain here, The Italian Oven. They had restaurants all over the place here, in Florida, and I heard they opened restaurants in Australia. All but two that I know about in PA closed, but I think that the corporate offices are still here.
    Must be because of all of the Pennsylvanians who either spend the winter in Florida or have moved there full time. I just found that Primanti Bros. , one of the most Pittsburgh of Pittsburgh establishments, has two locations in Ft. Lauderdale.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Rochester, NY based Dibellas Old Fashioned Subs has multiple restaurants in Rochester, Buffalo and one Ann Arbor, MI.

The Mexican fast food chain Del Taco has hundreds of locations on the west coast and 4 oddball locations in the St. Louis metro and 2 in suburban Atlanta.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    One trait of many retail businesses in Buffalo is that they'll open a branch in some far-flung location after they become successful. The popular local hot dog chain, Teds, had stores everywhere throughout Buffalo, and one in Tempe, Arizona. Santora's Pizza has outlets throughout the region, and one in Fort Lauderdale.
    Is this just a Buffalo thing, or do local chains in other cities have one or two branches that are far-flung?
    Not quite to the extent of that first one, but George Webb (a chain of restaurants that most closely resemble Waffle House) has outlets all over metro Milwaukee and southeast Wisconsin plus . . . one store a few blocks down the street from where I live here in Appleton, well away from Milwaukeeland. It is very popular.

Speaking of Waffle House (I enjoyed dining with them during my late June/early July SE/NE USA roadtrip last year), right now their closest store to northeast Wisconsin is either in metro Toledo, OH, Indianapolis, IN or the Illinois suburbs of Saint Louis. In line with this thread, it would not surprize me at all if their first foray into the upper Midwest would be somewhere like here in the Appleton/Green Bay/Oshkosh, WI area.

Mike

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by UpstateNYRox
    The Mexican fast food chain Del Taco has hundreds of locations on the west coast and 4 oddball locations in the St. Louis metro and 2 in suburban Atlanta.
    There's still a Del Taco? If it's even the same place, Del Taco used to be the only Mexican fast food joint in my small corner of South Carolina before Taco Bell entered the market and eventually bought them out in the mid-1980's.

Who wants tacos for lunch?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    There's still a Del Taco? If it's even the same place, Del Taco used to be the only Mexican fast food joint in my small corner of South Carolina before Taco Bell entered the market and eventually bought them out in the mid-1980's.

Who wants tacos for lunch?
    They were still in California the last time I went to Sacto... but that was quite a few years back.

Jacksonville, Florida has a lot of Middle Eastern restaurants for various reasons. I was shocked to see a franchise of one of them in the Prudential Building food court in Boston. It's called Hovan - I think it's Armenian - and features wraps with a weird, but very good yogurt sauce.

I have no idea how it got there, and I think they just have the two stores. I used to go to the Pru just for a taste of home...

BW3 is supposed to be a Buffalo themed chain but it is not based out of Buffalo and I do not even think they have a restaurant there. The original name was Buffalo Wild Wings and Weck. The wings and weck are popular Buffalo foods. They got rid of the Beef on Weck (I think because you have to be Buffalonian to understand it) and changed the name to BW3. That is pretty remote

In Toledo, we have a local pizza chain called Marco's Pizza that was founded on the east side in 1978. For many years it exclusevely operated in the Toledo metropolitan area. It had slowly been expanding in the tri-state area over the past 15 years or so, but recenlty opened up a store in Nevada.

To a Toledoan, it would probably be quite bewildering to see a Marco's Pizza sign amongst all the glitz and flash of the Las Vegas Strip.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Since Chile is a very centralist country, a fair number of "local" stores of Santiago are already big chains spread everywhere in the country. Smaller buisness rarely expand, since they barely sustain themselves. There are small local stores in Santiago, that are just there and don't expand.
    Although in my region there is a local supermarket small chain that has stores in the main cities of the region (Valdivia, Osorno and Puerto Montt); I can't think of any other example. (Heck that example isn't very distant... barely some 70 miles tops between the stores... )

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by steel
    BW3 is supposed to be a Buffalo themed chain but it is not based out of Buffalo and I do not even think they have a restaurant there. The original name was Buffalo Wild Wings and Weck. The wings and weck are popular Buffalo foods. They got rid of the Beef on Weck (I think because you have to be Buffalonian to understand it) and changed the name to BW3. That is pretty remote
    Actually there are
    three BW3's in the Buffalo area including one in the city limits on Elmwood Ave. The chain was started in Kent, Ohio by 2 guys formerly of Buffalo.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by UpstateNYRox
    Actually there are
    three BW3's in the Buffalo area including one in the city limits on Elmwood Ave. The chain was started in Kent, Ohio by 2 guys formerly of Buffalo.
    There are two BWWs here in the Appleton area and a friend out east told me recently that they have just opened a new outlet in northern Delaware, sort of a new area for them.

Mike

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Phone book a viable research tool for local businesses?
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 13 Aug 2012, 11:03 AM
  2. Why are local businesses so secretive before they open?
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 08 Nov 2010, 5:48 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 04 Sep 2006, 3:43 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 21 Oct 2005, 4:59 PM
  5. Preserving local businesses
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 29 Dec 1997, 3:59 PM