Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Sidewalk ads/decals

Registered
    Aug 2001

Sidewalk ads/decals

I'm trying to find a photo of one of those new sidewalk decals / ads that are posted on walkways with adhesive. Some company sent us a brochure and I can't find it. We specifically want to add it to our examples of signs we do not want in our city, but it would be easier to write a definition (and get it through City Council) if I have an example to show them. Anyone know of a company that do these?

For those of you that are unfamiliar with these ads, they are similar to the ads that you see on grocery store floors these days.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Bump!

Okay, I found an example of the kind of sidewalk decal that I'm talking about. You can find a photo of it here. Does anyone else regulate these things, or I am breaking ground here?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    Does anyone else regulate these things, or I am breaking ground here?
    I think you are breaking new ground here. What's the health, safety, welfare link to regulating sigage which is visible only when one is standing on top of it? Is it in any way potentially endangering public safety or welfare? Perhaps an unsafe surface to walk on? Present some visual distraction to pedestrians, causing them to trip or bump into other people?
    The rational basis for regulation should probably be spelled out first. Once this is accomplished it should be a relatively straightforward exercise to come up with reasonable regulations which will ensure those goals are achieved.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2001
    By regulated I mean prohibiting. More clutter, tripping hazards, etc. I've already added a definition and added it to our prohibited sign list in our draft sign ordinance.

Are you considering regulation on private property, public property or both?

I can see it being fairly easy to stop in the public rights-of-way, but I see where Maister is coming from on private property. And I can see the signage attorneys lining up to do battle as we speak. Keep us posted on how this goes.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm proposing to prohibit on both private and public properties. This part of an overall package of signs types that we will be prohibiting, including video signs, the portable truck billboards, etc. I think more people will have heartburn over video signs than these little adhesive things, but I'll keep you all updated.

BTW, there was a good editorial in the NY Times a month or two ago about how awful these new sidewalk decals are.

     
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    The TTC (Toronto Transit Commission), being the cash-strapped agency that it is has resorted to putting these types of ads in stations – floors, walls, stairs, and all! Seeing the odd wrapped subway pull into one of these stations seems a bit disconcerting, but then these ads are a source of badly-needed revenue. The ads don't stay very long, a month at most as they start to show their age. Plus stations are not continuously wrapped for months on end, with the possible exception of Union Station. Here however it is only the mezzanine level where the ticket collector's booths are. Aside from the traffic to and from the subway itself, there are the rush hour crowds which flood out of the commuter station, through the subway station in order to get to their office tower somwhere on the PATH system. As a result the TTC can probably charge a pretty penny to whoever wants to buy up all that latent ad space.

"Station Domination"

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    What's the health, safety, welfare link to regulating sigage which is visible only when one is standing on top of it?
    It's private use of the public right-of-way. If sidewalk stickers are permitted, it makes it harder to enforce prohibitions against other private signage in the right-of-way.

Most sign regulations already prohibit private signs in the public right-of-way. The stickers should be illegal considering an interpretation of existing standards.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by undergrad planner
    As a result the TTC can probably charge a pretty penny to whoever wants to buy up all that latent ad space.

"Station Domination"

Checked the website out, for Union Station for 3 million people / month it is $47 500 per month. Nearly $600K a year. For the other example, Yonge & Eglinton, a very busy station, it is $9 000 per month ( $98 000 a year.) Have a feeling we'll be seeing more of these in the stations.

And I have to agree with Dan that most by-laws would prohibit them in the ROW. As for regulating them on truly private property, I think you'll have issues, provided they can not be seen from the ROW.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 21 Apr 2010, 7:00 PM
  2. Sidewalk bicycle mechanics in NYC
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 19 Aug 2009, 9:42 AM
  3. Where did the sidewalk go? (Philly)
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 09 Jul 2007, 6:45 PM