Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Honey Do Lists, Home Projects, Job Jars

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Honey Do Lists, Home Projects, Job Jars

Just how "anal" are you about compiling (and completing) all of those home projects? Katie says that I have gone way overboard on tracking (listing) of our projects. See if you agree.....

For years I have kept a spreadsheet, continually updated, of all house projects. This list.....with over one-hundred (100) projects.....includes the smallest projects (maybe taking an hour to fix light fixture, etc.) to huge projects (bathroom remodel that was actually divided into about seven different mini-projects, with total hours over seventy-five).

When we work on something I update the spread to show the hours completed matched against the hours scheduled. When we complete a project I also show that as "complete" on the spread.

Attached to the spread are about half a dozen graphs. When I sometimes print these off and wave them at Katie she goes ballistic. I do have a smile on my face when I wave them but she thinks I'm an idiot.

The past few days I have been working on the numbers from 2004 and developing the updated 2005 spread, with graphs.

So, most of you probably agree with Katie that I'm an "anal idiot". Who cares what you believe, anyway.

Do you have lists or job jars or "honey do" lists?

Claw Hambear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Its so unlike me, but I do not keep home lists. I have 1/2 dozen incomplete projects, and tend to bounce around between them till suddenly I have a rush of energy to finish one.

Must be yet undiagnosed ADD

Registered
    Jul 2003
    When I am working a project out in my head, I tend to keep a collection of papers with hand-drawn (sloppy) diagrams, materials lists, measurements, etc. I sometimes also keep paint chip samples and similar with the pile of papers. Sometimes these hang around for months. I also sometimes note the intent to do a particular project in my "daily planner" type computer software. Some of them hang around for a few months until the entire idea becomes obsolete and simply gets deleted. Others do get completed and are checked off and can be found in my "done" list on my computer.

BTW, Bear: you aren't actually my father, are you?

(Just kidding. But it sounds like something he would do, if he were computer literate.)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    It sounds like something that would come in extremely handy if your home was ever damaged by a natural disaster and you needed insurance documents. Otherwise, maybe a little anal. But hey, I keep extremely detailed lists whenever I have to pack for a trip/hurricane evacuations, so to each his/her own!

Registered
    Mar 2003
    No way bear!

That certainly is anal.OMG.

I always have a house that is under constrution. I would never over whelm myself with a list like that, it would seem insurmountable. I have a list, in my head of probably the next ten projects because I am a schemer. Like just last week. The hubby came home to find half the carpet ripped up in what used to be the master bedroom. Now granted we had talked about the project but never decided when it would happen. But I am not planning on replacing the carpet just pulling it up and cleaning the floors and leaving them wood, at least for now. I may put an area rug in sometime if I find a good deal.

I remember making a list one time for a previous husband who was a ral procrastinator and putting it on the refrigerator. Took him almost 5 years to get that list done. The he acted surprised that I had other things come to mind...
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Um, I think anal could describe that habit. I have a few big projects at a time and just work on them when I feel like it, or if there is some deadline.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    No list here. It's nice to live alone.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Lists?
    We ain't got no lists.
    We don't need no lists.
    I don't have to show you any stinking lists.

AIB The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jun 2004
    pre-wife no list
    Dating wife occassional request
    enagaed small managable list
    Married the list from H@ll

I pray each night that i live long enought to complete the list... if i do i'll be 211 years old but unfortunatly the list has no end and is being added to as i type this.
    freaked But the plus side as long as there is a list I'll know i am needed.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    We live in a building where we’re not even allowed to change the light bulbs in the permanent fixtures. So no, I currently have no “honey do” list. However, I’m pretty sure that will change the moment we buy a house.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Every winter we figure out what the following year's big project should be. This year we have to replace our deck. So we rough out how much we think it will cost so we can start saving for it. That's about it.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I am the master of making lists. Eventually I hope to be able to master actually getting stuff done.

Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    I am the master of making lists. Eventually I hope to be able to master actually getting stuff done.
    I'm with you! Didn't think there was anyone else out there like that. Drives my husband nuts.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Slightly off-topic, but don't you hate when a simple project becomes complicated? I replaced the light over my vanity yesterday. When I got the old fixture off, I was very surprised to see that the wiring was simply strung through a hole in the wall. There was no box. I had an old-work switch box that I used temporarily to wire everything up. I now need to go back and put in the correct box, which I am going to move about 8-10 inches higher. Then I am going to have to repair the old hole. Did I also mention that the mounting screws provided with the new light are a quarter inch too long? I need to replace those at the same time. A project that should take a half hour will eat up an entire day.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Off-topic:
    AIB Cardinal - Here is my example of a simple project becoming complicated:
    replace the aerator on a faucet required me to replace the faucet and the supply lines from the valves.
    multiplying factor - Home Depot was closing in a 1 hour and before they were closed for a holiday.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    We don't have lists. We have things falling apart in front of us to serve as reminders. The lists would get lost in the rubble, anyway.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Off-topic:
    AIB Cardinal - Here is my example of a simple project becoming complicated:
    replace the aerator on a faucet required me to replace the faucet and the supply lines from the valves.
    multiplying factor - Home Depot was closing in a 1 hour and before they were closed for a holiday.
    That just reminded me once when I helped my dad install a new sink in their bathroom... had to go to the Chilean equivalent of Home Depot like 3 times. Nothing better that finding out that a screw won't fit when you're already half way through.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Plannerbabs
    We don't have lists. We have things falling apart in front of us to serve as reminders. The lists would get lost in the rubble, anyway.
    That sounds like the present state of my apartment, what with physically separating "my" stuff from Mr. Zone's stuff, trashing lots of things that contain particle board or otherwise negatively impact my health, generally paring down in my usual "getting ready to move" kind of way, etc.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    Slightly off-topic, but don't you hate when a simple project becomes complicated? I replaced the light over my vanity yesterday. When I got the old fixture off, I was very surprised to see that the wiring was simply strung through a hole in the wall. There was no box. I had an old-work switch box that I used temporarily to wire everything up. I now need to go back and put in the correct box, which I am going to move about 8-10 inches higher. Then I am going to have to repair the old hole. Did I also mention that the mounting screws provided with the new light are a quarter inch too long? I need to replace those at the same time. A project that should take a half hour will eat up an entire day.
    This Bear always assumes that EVERY listed project will have complications. Seems like every project has fittings that don't match, things that don't line-up because one (1) is forty (40) years old and the new one (1) is designed with "improvements". Constantly "fudging", I'am.

Bear With A Screw That Is Too Short
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    This Bear always assumes that EVERY listed project will have complications. Seems like every project has fittings that don't match, things that don't line-up because one (1) is forty (40) years old and the new one (1) is designed with "improvements". Constantly "fudging", I'am.

Bear With A Screw That Is Too Short
    Any time that I am given a project completion time, I take that by at least three times then if things go smoothly I can be really happy.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    May 2003

Feeling Stronger Every Day

Yes, indeed-ee.....this Bear is feeling stronger every day. The wife has her whip out , is calling me a "slacker", and is saying ".....chop chop.....get on the projects.....".

The other night I updated my Excel (geek) spreadsheet, moving all of the leftover projects from 2003 and 2004 to the small 2005 list. Now I have 79 projects on the list, some that will take some money and some time, others that just will require a few hours (such as finally installing the new bathroom light).

73 projects were leftovers......hey, I had an excuse. But as I feel better there will be no excuse. I ask all Cyburbian neighbors to "hold my feet to the fire".

BTW - I have lived in this old house for more than 9 years. There have been a total of 210 projects.

Bear: Loafers, Black Socks, Plaid Shorts, No Shirt, Tool Belt
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Nov 2003
    I'm in a brand new 85 year old house. I've been working on lists since I moved in April. The big project is to construct a brick patio and sidewalk leading to my garage. I'm trying to get that done before winter, that way the Mrs. and I can get to our garage without bustin' our a$$. I also want a black wrought iron fence on both sides of the year we'll see what the neighbors have to say.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    73 projects were leftovers......
    If you weren't so organized, you could have simply forgetten most of those projects and you wouldn't be feeling so "behind" now.

     
    Registered
    Mar 2005

New Door

SO and I live in a home built in 1906. A couple of years ago she decided we needed a new front door (usual problems, leaking air, not real secure). Measured and fond a door the SO liked. She even said she would help install it.

Got the door including 3 packets of shims, removed the old door, reframed as necessary. A contractor friend of mine said it would probably take at most a couple of hours to install.

Remember the 1906 house? NOTHING is square, straight or plumb. After 8 hours we finally had the door in, having to reframe the rough openning.

Now SO wants to replace a couple of the old windows. Think again.

mileage: look into energy efficient replacement glass for use in existing sash. Preserves the character of the window while reducing heat loss/heat gain. Avoids the major headache (read: joy and satisfaction ) of working with historic homes.

My next project is to build shelving in the basement after getting that sucker cleaned out/straightened up after this past weekend's yard sale.
    Je suis Charlie

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. sucker for the lists....
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 08 Jul 2014, 8:54 AM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last post: 08 Feb 2013, 2:21 PM
  3. APA Top 25 Lists
    Make No Small Plans