Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Honey Do Lists, Home Projects, Job Jars

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    My job jar:

Hang up various pictures/paintings in the flat. Tired of them sitting in the hall.
    Hang second shelf over my desk in my room.

Any takers?
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Just over a year ago I bought this house that really didn't need much work. We built two rooms for the girls which was more project than I want to do. I thought I might paint my bedroon this spring and pretty much just enjoy the house. I have had a project house for as long as I can remember and am getting a bit tired of the continual project.
    Well life deals you flooding. The downstairs flooded twice this spring, everything had to be moved out and dried and back in. It was almost like moving and entire small house worth of stuff. Carpet stripped and vinyl put back down. I got to the last room of vinyl two weeks ago and found that we had not dried that room enough and mold had started under the paper on the wall. When I pulled it back the paper on the sheetrock came too.
    So here goes another project. I got the vinyl cut, so I just need to get the wall done down there. I am having such a hard time getting motivated.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    My job jar:

Hang up various pictures/paintings in the flat. Tired of them sitting in the hall.
    Hang second shelf over my desk in my room.

Any takers?
    *raises a hand*

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Here We Go Again

Last weekend I updated my massive spreadsheet.....the one that drives Katie nuts.....has all the home projects listed, with estimated hours needed to complete, etc. It even includes some bar graph charts. She gets soooooooo mad when I show them to her.

Final results for 2007 were not good. I need to kick it into gear in 2008 and make some of these projects "go away". And, with warmer weather just around the corner, my weathered bear tootsies are now in the starting blocks, 'rarin' to go.

As always, the garage painting project looms. Last year I did most of the lower half of the 2-story anti-planner-geek monster. This spring I will be replacing some bad wood on the northern side of the structure and finishing the painting.

I also need to clean the garage. What a mess! Our upstairs storage is filled with our stuff, my step-son's stuff, my son's stuff ('cause he split for Portland and who knows when he will want it back), and Katie's brother's stuff. The best part of the plan.....playing the loud rock and roll on the big garage stereo system while I work. Woo-hoo!

(Oh.....did I say "stereo"? I meant to say "Victrola". )

Bear Singing The Job Jar Blues
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2005
    Bear - I started my own spreadsheet when I we first bought our house 2.5 years ago. It lasted all of about 2 weeks, and the entire time my wife made fun of me.

I am envious of this glorious spreadsheet that you maintain. I am proud that you've been able to stick to it, while the wife makes you the brunt of her comments and jokes.

If only all us men could be so strong. Damn you women!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    BF and i got into a MAJOR fight a few weeks ago because i jokingly said, "add it to your list!" and he freaked.

that was the end of any honey do list - for him. i guess on my list i'll just have to add a column that says, "Remind BF to..."
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Every time I visit Mom down at the Jersey Shore on vacation she always has a list of projects to be done.
    This trip I accomplished the following:
    -- Replaced all the working parts in the toilet tank. Included going back to the store for a part. My 1st brother did the most, I was just a helper.
    -- Removed a remaining split rail fence post (35+ yrs old) and cut rails (by hand) so they could fit in garbage can.
    -- Found and showed Mom the front two corner property pins.
    -- Repaired the garbage can cage at curb side.
    -- Hung 4 towel hooks in outdoor shower shed.
    -- Helped sister to hang a woven wall graphic.
    -- Annual clean out of the garage, took a car load of stuff to charity thrift store.
    -- With my sister, we cleaned the carpets on the first and second floors with a Rug Doctor steam cleaner.
    -- Opened several cans of old latex paint to dry out so they can be collected.

Is that enough for a vacation ? or just what you do when visiting Mom ?

BTW - the ocean water was too cold for swimming.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2003

Garage Doors

As colder weather approaches (for those of us in the northern hemisphere) here's a helpful hint from a helpful sort of Bear.....

Check your garage door(s)!!!

An overhead door is probably the biggest piece of machinery in your house with attached garage or non-attached garage. A typical one-car door weighs in at about 200 pounds. A two-car door may weigh as much as 500 pounds. The springs that assist you when lifting it.....or assist the electric door opener.....have significant (and dangerous) tension built-in.

First, a few words about those springs: If they are springs that stretch, they are called "extension springs". Some states and municipalities require a safety cable to be inside of those types of springs, because when they break they will go flying through the air. Yes, injuries.....possibly severe.....can result. The safety cable gives the flying broken spring a freeway, without an exit. Safer!

Torson springs are identifiable because they are located above the door opening, attached to a long steel torsion tube. That tube will be about a foot longer than your door's width, creating a location for the cable drums that the cable winds on when the spring tension does its' trick, helping you open the heavy s-o-b. Torsion springs are most dangerous when inexperenced JOB JAR "Saturday Mechanics" attempt to fix or install new. Those puppies need winding, a job best done with a professional "winding bar". Unfortunately, injuries happen when folks use screwdrivers or something similar for a winding bar. Those springs also require a certain number of "turns", to give the proper spring tension to the assembly.

Bottom-line: Major work on your door or installation of a new door should be done by someone with good mechanical ability OR hire a professional.

Now for something that you can do to help yourself.....

With the door in the down position, tighten all of the bolts, nuts, screws that are used to attach hinges and brackets to the door. That job is safe and easy and may save an expensive service call. If your garage door is going up and down on a regular basis, many of those fasteners will work loose. If not noticed, you could have a hinge or bracket come loose, creating possible slipping of a door section from the rollers and track.

Older garage doors will be made out of wood and tend to be the heaviest. The fasteners will be carriage bolts and nuts, so tightening the nuts will be a piece of cake because the carriage head is imbedded in the wood, holding it firm. Newer doors will be steel or plastic (and lighter) and the fasteners will usually be sheet metal screws.
    _____

I tightened all my loose nuts last weekend.
    _____

Most garage doors are 7-feet high. Some garages can accomodate higher doors.....the two doors on my non-Cyburbian-approved 2-story garage are 8-feet high.

Have fun and be careful.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I am putting out for trash pickup some stuff out of the yard and from the closet. Hubby thinks we should hold on to this stuff "just in case". Since when will we ever need the following:

A broken garden hose roller
    Broken cords from old electrical stuff
    Old rolls of wallpaper from the previous owners (and we pulled this ugly sh!& off the walls!)
    Empty boxes from the garage (I will keep a couple, but we don't need the 12 I counted yesterday)
    Broken blinds

This chore has been on my list for months. I've been waiting for him to be gone during a trash pick-up cycle.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I may or may not have an excel worksheet....color coded by job importance, expense, DIY or hire a professional and best time of the year to complete the task...updated monthly. My poor husband, I just added "check the garage door".

Tonight, I'm caulking some baseboards since I finally got a new caulking tool after my old one died.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    May 2003

Job Bar Blues: Confessions Of A Slacker

This Bear is pathetic. I am on pace to have the worst year in Job Jar history, as calculated via my anal spreadsheets and charts.....

Projects Scheduled - 83
    Projects Completed - 6

Estimated Hours To Complete All Projects - 593.5
    Actual Hours Worked On Projects - 35.5

It is obvious.....all those hours spent in the anti-Cyburbian 2-story monster garage doing the infamous "putz" dance involved very few productive hours. Can I blame my age, my physical condition......or an attitude that finds a certain sense of calm, sitting in a lawn chair, holding a cold and tall green bottle of Rock. staring at the interior garage walls and pondering the universe.....or, at the least, pondering the age of the Playboy playmate trifolds that grace the northern wall, a 1980s homage to cute bunnies and the masters of quality airbrushing.

Seriously......bad year for projects for this Bear.....here comes da last quarter.....gotta get busy.....

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    not much progress, but the garage floor did get lifted now we can insulate and get a new garage door!

Laying a vinyl sheet in the upstairs bath this weekend. May be ripping out a vanity too and buying a new one and a new toilette

Reminds me must put adhesive and a trowel on the list.

I think this would be a good week to scrub and seal the deacks too!

Also have to look forward to tearing out the DR carpet, to pour gallons and gallons of levelor and then decide want kind of flooring we want there. Thinking on FLOR carpet squares. I m done with laminates!

Registered
    Oct 2003
    We just bought our first house and man...its turning out to be much more of a fixer upper than we had expected. The house was built in 1960 and has had foundation work (North Texas black clay soil in teh house....err...under the house).

I've spent every weekend (when I wasn't at work) caulking around windows, fixing drains, replacing hinges, etc. Still haven't hit the big items...loose tile under toilet, broken ceiling drywall in HVAC closet, replacing the carpet.

*sigh*

American Dream or American Nightmare?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by FueledByRamen View post

*sigh*

American Dream or American Nightmare?

No, it's the joy of home ownership...
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2003

Job Jar Blues Redux

OK, already a month has slid past in this here 2009. This Bear has done nothing for the ol' job jar. And 2008 was pathetic.....

Year 2008 Hours Scheduled - 612.5
    Year 2008 Actual Hours - 66.5

Year 2008 Projects Scheduled - 84
    Year 2008 Projects Completed - 9

If I was an employee of myself I would fire myself.
    _____

Seriously, most of the projects are enhancements. I need to change my anal spreadsheet to reflect those with a "priority". Katie and I are jumping in to the rugged Tundra in a hour or so and driving an hour north to Ikea. Road trip!

Maybe I will get some inspiration there.
    _____

Bear Singing The Job Jar Blues
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jan 2006
    With snow rapidly melting (Mid 50's) I will be going out every hour to attend to the latest layer of dog doo that becomes exposed.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    there's nothing like hosting a party to get some projects done. BF put up new blinds, new smoke detectors, and a new flag pole complete with a City of New Orleans flag. i suppose this means i should lay off the nagging for awhile.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    May 2003
    This Bear has not updated the massive spreadsheet that lists all the jobs, the hours worked, completion rates.....complete with graphs and charts.

We actually accomplished quite a bit in 2009. My focus has been on the big anti-Cyburbian 2-story barn-style garage.....sorting, pitching, organizing, shelf-building, listening to loud rock and roll.

Katie did an incredible amount of project work in 2009. Not sure where she gets all that energy. She spent a ton of time (days!) completly stripping and refinishing our cool built-in buffet. All that remains on that massive project is deciding on the style of handles (we looked at some yesterday) and I have to glaze a broken piece of glass on one of the doors. (Yes, I know how to glaze.)

Yesterday when I replaced a door handle it went kinda like this.....

Open carton.
    Dump out parts.
    Remove olde handle.
    Pop on new handle, to see if the jamb plate lines up with the new handle. It does.
    Slide on outside handle.

At this pointe, I said, "This is going well."

About an hour later I finally had the inside piece attached. I fumbled and fumbled with the inside machine screws.....trying to insert them perfectly straight, hoping to hit the hole and begin the twisty-action with the screwdriver.

A simple design change would have made it easier. Where the threads begin for the machine screws.....an area you cannot see when installing the handle.....there should be a very-slight but effective funnel-shape, so the machine screw will glide right to the opening.

Hey.....there was good news, though! I didn't cuss. Well, not that much.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I've been taking an assessment.
    Tommorrow I get the big job done, the hot water tank will be replaced.
    I have been into spring scleaning and have already done quite a bit.
    Outside trim needs painting on the garage.
    I need to figure out how to clean the aluminum trim on the house. There is not much siding, but what is there is starting to look icky.
    Paint the coal, milkchute and air conditioner with rustoleum.
    Tackle the basement floor. Its old stick ons tiles. Might just rip em all out and paint it.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    <snip>
    Tackle the basement floor. Its old stick ons tiles. Might just rip em all out and paint it.
    Careful, they could contain asbestos.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by TOFB View post
    With snow rapidly melting (Mid 50's) I will be going out every hour to attend to the latest layer of dog doo that becomes exposed.
    Ugh. We're finally at that point here. I was trying to play with the dog in the yard yesterday, and I r-e-a-l-l-l-y had to watch my step. That's definitely going on the honey-do list.

Hubby reminded me that we don't have the giant oak tree carcass in our front yard to deal with as we did last spring. True, but we still have plenty of yard work to do; when the utility company ran the natural gas line to our house, they damaged some shrub branches and dug up a lot of our front lawn. And the bulbs I had planted next to the house ended up somewhere... under several feet of fill, I'd imagine.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Stick on tiles aren't liable to be asbestos, the ones you really need to watch out for are 9" tiles fastened down with mastic. Even those aren't as liable to release asbestos fibers as pipe and ceiling insulation. Still, if there are concerns, it's better to cover them than tear them up if you can't afford to have them tested and possibly remediated.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Nah this stuff is vynil. I even have some in 'new' in a box the previous owner left. Can't match the pattern to save my life, even if I could, it would probably look like crap again in 15 years. I did some reading on this and these were not made to be used on concrete floors in basements in areas with extreme temps anyway.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    May 2003
    This Bear is horrible at starting and finishing home projects. I used to be pretty good at attacking all those fixes, adjustments, retrofits, yadda. I just don't have the gumption anymore. My "get up and go" has "got up and went".

Age? Health? Lack of motivation?

All of the above. Somebody needs to slip me a "work mickey".

Or.....and I like this plan better.....come over to my house and do it for me. I'll watch.

Just kidding. Maybe.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Wonder what Mom has on her to-do list when I visit her for a week.
    What a way to spend my vacation.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. sucker for the lists....
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 08 Jul 2014, 9:54 AM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last post: 08 Feb 2013, 3:21 PM
  3. APA Top 25 Lists
    Make No Small Plans