Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: Honey Do Lists, Home Projects, Job Jars

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Tomorrow the floor-guy is coming over to give us an estimate on refinishing our wood floors.

I hope he doesn't need the carpet removed to do that. I might try to tear up the carpet in the bedroom tonight. Think I can do that without removing any of the furniture?

This spring I created a Summer Project List, for both of us, and the BF was actually fairly productive before he left for Siberia. He was able to cross 2 things off the list! Yay!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    This spring I created a Summer Project List, for both of us, and the BF was actually fairly productive before he left for Siberia. He was able to cross 2 things off the list! Yay!
    If I didn't know that he went to Siberia voluntarily, I'd be really concerned about you taking your honey-do list a little too seriously.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

The Stain Mistress

This Bear and Katie live in an old house. When we purchased the home we moved into an interior that had been grossly "updated". Hardwood floors were covered with carpet. All of the original trim in the living room and dining room had been painted a pee-yu-kee "sand" color. The same for the massive built-in buffet.

About 6 years ago we removed all the carpet, repaired some funky hardwood pieces, rented the giant sanding machine, sanded the entire living room and dining room area, and refinished the floor with a quality wood stain and polycoat. It still looks great. Katie did most of the stain work. I was just the "go fer" person.

Last summer, Katie started working on the buffet.....meticuously removing the top coating of paint (sand color) and finding other colors that had been applied to the buffet over the years (probably by different owners). Those hidden colors included peach and sort of a mild yellow. Ugh.

It took her a long time, but she converted that buffet to a really nice-looking woodgrain finish. My part of the project? I have to replace a small piece of glass on one of the doors. I forgot about it for a year......wink wink.....so I better do my small part. (Yes, I can glaze. I have known how to cut glass for years.)

This summer she is working on pieces of trim in the living room and dining room. My job is to carefully remove the individual pieces, without cracking them. She takes the pieces out to the big garage, puts on her I-pod bob, and removes the old colors, uses the electric sander to smooth and finish the surface, and stains the trim pieces. Some of the pieces seem to quickly obsorb the stain, so multiple coats are necessary. She finishes with a polycoat and then I spring into action.....yawn. I work so hard.

The more she does the more motivated she gets. She is a hard worker-bee. I am a great "supervisor". Heh heh heh.....

Everything looks great. And thus ends "my" Job Jar Report.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Wonder what Mom has on her to-do list when I visit her for a week.
    What a way to spend my vacation.
    I didn't do any because
    - too damn hot any way.
    - she did have any tools to replace the screen door.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Wonder what Mom has on her to-do list when I visit her for a week.
    What a way to spend my vacation.
    Your mom is your "honey"????
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2003

Dead Tree

When we moved into our Swanton home our backyard included a large tree. But it was beginning to die. Many dead and dying large branches hung low, near the ground. That first year we did a major trim job on Mister Tree.

A few years later the tree, with two distinct and very large trunks that separate about 8 feet off the ground, again started to wither. But only on one side. Eventually this Bear, with my son's help, climbed up a ladder, chain saw in hand, notched out one side of the dying south trunk and gave it the cut. It slammed to the ground.....in the right place, no damage to my large anti-Cyburbian barn-like 2-story garage. I did the ladder work and my son did the rest, cutting the remains into firewood and/or large trunk chunks that need to be split into firewood.

Now the north trunk has died. But it hovers above the garage's exterior steps. To be successful at cutting the north trunk without damaging the garage would require another chain-saw-carrying excursion up the ladder. Not this time. We are going to hire somebody to get the rest of Mister Tree in a horizontal position.

I do not want to be a Job Jar statistic.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    ^^ Probably wisest to leave this one up to the tree pros. My job jar's item of the week is installing a door sweep on my door to keep the creepy crawlies and the coming winter drafts out.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2003

Job Jar Blues, Redux

This Bear has a problem. We have a pair of leaks in (through) our roof. I have identified one of the culprits and the fix, although somewhat dangerous (steep roof), shouldn't be too difficult. I just have to tie a rope around my mid-section, tie it to something big in the upstairs bedroom, climb out the window, and fix the problem.

I cannot locate the other leak. The end result is easy to spot.....ceiling plaster that is stained, bowing, and cracked, right over the kitchen counter. The interior fix is easy.....spackle, baby, spackle. The cause.....me no can find.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

Friday's Job Jar Reach

Stickin' my Bear paw into the Job Jar, here are some of the plans for my vacation day.....

Get Katie's Honda to the fix-it-shoppe.
    Clean out the gutters.
    ".....and the lawn furniture was nestled in their hooky winter bed....."
    Take newspaper and cardboard to the recycle bins.....later, when I get my truck wheels back.
    Run boat motor one more time, winterize it, move it to winter's location.
    General clean-up and putz attack in garage.

Rock and roll will play an important part. CDs I will carry out to the massive garage stereo.....

The Doors(Box Set)
    OK Computer Radiohead
    Abbey Road The Beatles

Must make haste while sun still hits NW Ohio in a warming manner.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

The Sounds Of Spring

Ahh yes, the gentle sounds and sights of spring.....

Cold water, now ice free, gently sliding over smooth and shiny rocks. Small birds chirping, obviously excited by the approaching warmer weather. Brown grass speckled with an occasional blade of green. Tree buds, anxious to make an appearance.

And.....

The roar of lawnmowers. Loud rock and roll music blasting from a certain Bear's anti-Cyburbian barn-style garage. Hammers a-hammering. Chain saws whittling-down the debris from the ice storm's havoc played on the neighborhood's trees. Power saws ripping plywood and pinewood.
    _____

As Spring, 2011 moves to the starting line, this Bear begins to explore the long-ignored HONEY DO LIST. I need a beer. For courage.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    My dad (rest his soul) could fix anything. Me? I can't get my lawnmower started and I can't fix the leak on the tube that feeds the pool dolphin. It surprises me I can even change a light bulb.

The apple fell a long distance from the tree.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    My dad (rest his soul) could fix anything. Me? I can't get my lawnmower started and I can't fix the leak on the tube that feeds the pool dolphin. It surprises me I can even change a light bulb.

I'm the same way with my dad and grandpa. Both of them could/can fix anything. I even spent time growing up helping with their various home repair businesses and various fix it jobs at their houses. I've hung drywall, roofed, poured sidewalk, re-bricked chimneys. Can I do any of that by myself-nope. Them trying to teach me that stuff was like trying to teach an elephant ballet.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post

Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    I'm the same way with my dad and grandpa. Both of them could/can fix anything. I even spent time growing up helping with their various home repair businesses and various fix it jobs at their houses. I've hung drywall, roofed, poured sidewalk, re-bricked chimneys. Can I do any of that by myself-nope. Them trying to teach me that stuff was like trying to teach an elephant ballet.
    Good to know I'm not the only one.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Good to know I'm not the only one.
    I can fix many things around the house. My GC appreciates my knowledge of construction when it comes to acquiring properties, devising budgets, etc.

Today I went to look at a potential property to acquire, the agent showed up thinking there was a way to access the property. I pointed out the plywood panels secured by no less than a dozen screws. He said sorry that we'd have to reschedule. I said no worries, popped my trunk and got the cordless drill out

Chicks with tools rock.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

More at Cyburbia

1. sucker for the lists....
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 08 Jul 2014, 8:54 AM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last post: 08 Feb 2013, 2:21 PM
  3. APA Top 25 Lists
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 7