Urban planning community

Poll results: How's your planner look?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Full - And you wouldn't believe the stuff! I'll explain...

2 14.29%
  • Full, but always the same ol' thing.

1 7.14%
  • Middle of the road, but exciting stuff! Look...

4 28.57%
  • Not too bad, but boring.

7 50.00%
  • Just a couple things, but check 'em out!

0 0%
  • Empty... Hence, I post here quite a bit.

1 7.14%
Multiple choice poll
+ Reply to thread

Thread: What's in your planner today?

Registered
    Oct 2001

What's in your planner today?

Pick a day, especially a real good day, and give a run-down of your list of things to do...

I personally use the Franklin Planner, and do a mutitude of jobs, so it's always brimming with interesting, and unwated, items.

Here's my list for today:

- Get a grant proposal to the County for an ODOT grant.
    - Check up on two other grants
    - Write a letter to people about to get a notice they are going to be in a local improvement district
    - Send in a certification that my parks are all ADA compliant
    - Set up internet access on a couple computers
    - Call a trucking company that ran over a water meter and explain that they must pay for it
    - Put together a water rate study for a big CDBG grant
    - Call a company and ask why they are billing me more than they quoted on UV lights at my sewer plant
    - And 'um... pay my rent

How about the rest of you?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    1) Building permits and code enforcement - every day between 8:00 and 10:00

2) Calculate impact fees for a new gas station.

3) Send a letter to the county, letting them kow that the assessor's parcel database entry for a certain lot has the zoning wrong.

4) Design business cards for the town.

5) More work on the planning file system, which the town never had until now.

6) Code Enforcement Board agenda and report.

Unfortunately, I get a public contact (phone call or unscheduled guest) every 15 to 20 minutes, so it's very difficult to get anything done, expecially when half of those public contacts usually involve another new task (i.e. "Can you tell me when ths property was rezoned, and send me minutes from the meeting where they rezponed it?") that will take from 10 to 30 minutes.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Find out why old bonds have not been taken care of, some from the early 80s and late 70's. no plan, no nothing just a note from the folks upstairs saying we need to get this money out of the accounts.

Try to learn storm water stuff and double check the calcs on a plan *no figgin clue how to do storm water stuff*

Hey I decided on planning becouse I DONT DO MATH!

Lets see...re-read comp plan to help Dave with it.

figure out my rental car and hotel for my trip to Fla.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Finish Detour Plan for a job going to construction....

Regrade a job that requires too much fill....

Ride bike with the team tonight.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Oh...PG,

What don't you understand about SWM? I spend a great deal of time doing SWM reports, I could probably get you some answers.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Umm ANY of it!

If I see some sort of formula and a bunch of numbers I get the 6th grade fear of math thing all over again.

I dont feel even slightly qualified to go behind someone that knows what they are doing and check it when i dont have the slightest idea what they are talking about

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    Try to learn storm water stuff and double check the calcs on a plan *no figgin clue how to do storm water stuff*
    Piece of cake... Take the area of the property, and multiply by the storm year of your town (usually 20 year...) and the coefficent of run-off.

Next, plug in the NEW coefficient based on the development. This should give you the change in CFS.

Then, go downstream and check the pipes to see if they can handle the added flow...

Easy, huh?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by Mike DeVuono
    Finish Detour Plan for a job going to construction....
    Cool! I had to do that once in Philly. When I worked for D.S. Winokur & Assoc. on an I-95 project.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    1. Morning meeting with County Land Trust people to discuss the deeding of common property in a cluster subdivision.

2. Filing the signed SEQR short forms that I've let pile up for a month.

3. Visit three liquor stores to make sure they comply with our site plans and then give the thumbs up or down to the State Liquor Authority.

4. Drink 8 million cups of coffee because I absolutely cannot wake up today, and it is currently freakin' 1:36 in the afternoon.

5. Book my brother's flight home for Christmas vacation (LA to Albany, NY - $172!!!!!!!) (he's a struggling composer, hence his big sister and mom foot his travel bills)

That's about it today.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I purposely keep my calendar clear on Mondays. Working on Mondays is just as unholy as working on Fridays. The remainder of my day is as follows:

1. Finish eating chicken salad po-boy, while periodically shaking french bread crumbs out of the keyboard.

2. Continue chatting with co-worker via AOL Instant Messager.

3. Check my internet email accounts. Reply to messages that deserve my attention.

4. Check Cyburbia boards for new postings.

5. Visit a couple of "planning-related" websites.

6. Check The Weather Channel's website for updates on Tropical Storm Bertha.

7. Make a couple of phone calls to validate my billing to certain projects.

8. Have an afternoon cup of coffee or walk with co-worker to 3rd floor snack room for afternoon sugar fix.

9. Check Cyburbia boards for new postings.

10. Go home!

Tomorrow, I'll be in some kind of environmental workshop for most of the day. Oh what joy!
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    Umm ANY of it!

If I see some sort of formula and a bunch of numbers I get the 6th grade fear of math thing all over again.

I dont feel even slightly qualified to go behind someone that knows what they are doing and check it when i dont have the slightest idea what they are talking about

I didn't realize planners really got too invovled with the SWM reports. Around here it is usually the Municipal Engineer who checks all our work.

As far as what a planner could look for....make sure the 24 hour flows for the different storms jive with what is in the ordinance (if they are there) if not I usually use:

1yr = 2.7"
    2yr = 3.3"
    5yr = 4.3"
    10yr = 5.2"
    25 yr = 5.8"
    50 yr = 6.4"
    100 yr = 7.5"

Also check to make sure the Tc (Time of Concentration) values are what they are supposed to be, and they are applied correctly (don't use Tc value for grass if we're looking at a parking lot).

Just remember, water flows downhill. It really isn't that tough if you put your mind to it.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Mike I owe ya a beer

Registered
    Dec 2001
    How 'bout a double espresso. Gave the beer up in January. Notice, never made it to bike riding tonight Still making backyards.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Make that a Godiva hot cocoa and your on!

People HAVE yards anymore?

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I don't usually write things into my planner, though I probably should.

Today (Tuesday Aug. 6):

1. Complete resume/application for an internal job posting

2. Respond to public submission on future Transportation initiatives

3. Make revisions to new filing system documentation

4. Do some background work re: alterations to Transportation Model to accommodate latest and greatest proposed road network changes in the downtown area.

5. Visit a friend in hospital over lunch

Registered
    Aug 2001

My Tuesday...

1. Chat with boss about four or five seminars/training sessions I need to do for the Land Use Bylaw Update (re-writing the Zoning Ordinance type thing).

2. Read/edit staff reports due to Legislative Services today.

3. Write letters to various stakeholders inviting them to give us their humble opinions about our Land Use Bylaw.

4. Research Right to Farm legislation and check to see how other cities are complying.

5. Check Cyburbia boards as often as possible to stay awake.

6. Listen to a lot of Edwin and the Pressure and I Mother Earth cds to gear up for the concert tomorrow night

Registered
    Aug 2001
    1. Complete 2003 Operating Budget

2. Compile resumes for distribution to interview team

3. Prep for tonight's Plan Commission

4. B.M.

If B.M. is what I think it is, that is too much information!
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 09 Jun 2010, 2:47 PM
  2. Replies: 21
    Last post: 09 Oct 2007, 10:47 AM
  3. Today is my Last Day!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 01 Nov 2004, 12:51 PM
  4. Today is the day.