Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Indianapolis Neighborhoods Series: Lockerbie

Indianapolis Neighborhoods Series: Lockerbie

For my first post at Cyburbia

Lockerbie (or Lockerbie Square), one of Indianapolis' oldest and most historic neighborhoods, is located just east of downtown. Long time Lockerbie resident and famous poet, James Whitcomb Riley, described Lockerbie as "nestled away from the noise of the city and heat of the day". To a certain extent, that remains true today. Lockerbie saw extensive redevelopment in the 1960's and 1970's, after going through decades of urban decay. Today Lockerbie is a popular neighborhood for both the young and old residents of Indianapolis. The cobblestone street that goes by the Riley house remains at Lockerbie this very date. New townhomes and apartments are spring up around the Lockerbie area and revitalization continues.

Lockerbie is one of my favorite neighborhoods. It's one of Indianapolis' best neighborhoods in terms of architecture.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quite nice. Do you have any Broadripple shots? (I bought my favorite watch in Broadripple this fall)

Registered
    Feb 2003
    great area. been there a few times, love it. Indy is a very cool city with several great areas that I recall.

Once I ate at a family rest. just north of downtown on an all residential street in a nice established area. It actually looked like a house and had to close very early. Do you know what I am talking about... I cant remember the name, but want to.

Thanks.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Thanks for the post. I especially like the road pavement treatment with the largeish river stones.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by H
    great area. been there a few times, love it. Indy is a very cool city with several great areas that I recall.

Once I ate at a family rest. just north of downtown on an all residential street in a nice established area. It actually looked like a house and had to close very early. Do you know what I am talking about... I cant remember the name, but want to.

Thanks.
    H , I think that might be Dodd's Townhouse you're thinking of. Big green house, on Meridian St, near the canal? They're known for their pie and fried chicken. Good stuff. Great photos, Midwesterner ! Lockerbie is such a nice, cozy neighborhood, with a nice mix of old and new. More photos, please!
    I don't dream. I plan.

A couple of things that -- to me, anyway -- make Lockerbie work:

1) Human scale of the public and private spaces;
    2) Interesting architecture;
    3) Location -- especially proximity to the urban core and the services available there; and
    4) A mature urban forest.

I don't get up to the capitol city very often, but I always try to hit Lockerbie when I have achance. It is so walkable.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I must be crazy....I thought I've seen these pictures before on Cyburbia a year or so ago

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Great shots... looks like a really nice neighborhood. I guess Indy, like Columbus, really is an underrated city in terms of urbanity... That neighborhood actually looks walkable and transit-friendly as well. Do you have any pictures of its commercial center?

I could be forgiven for thinking this was Hyde Park in Chicago, my self-proclaimed Greatest Neighborhood Ever.

Seven replies already?

Quite nice. Do you have any Broadripple shots? (I bought my favorite watch in Broadripple this fall)
    Yeah, I have some pics of Broad Ripple with my old camera, I'll try to head back there.

Hmm.. not too sure. However, if you're in Lockerbie eat here:

My favorite Italian restaurant in Indianapolis, Jerry Seinfeld ate here when he did a show in Indy.

Great shots... looks like a really nice neighborhood. I guess Indy, like Columbus, really is an underrated city in terms of urbanity... That neighborhood actually looks walkable and transit-friendly as well. Do you have any pictures of its commercial center?
    Yeah, I'll upload some downtown pics later.

I could be forgiven for thinking this was Hyde Park in Chicago, my self-proclaimed Greatest Neighborhood Ever.
    We don't have too many rowhouses in Indy.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Plannerbabs
    H , I think that might be Dodd's Townhouse you're thinking of. Big green house, on Meridian St, near the canal? They're known for their pie and fried chicken. Good stuff.
    Yes, that is the one! Loved it.

     
    Registered
    Apr 2002
    Indy looks great, in fact it looks just like home to me.

Don't these buildings seem like they came from Buffalo?

I guess I'll just ahve to visit Indy sometime.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Things to do in Indianapolis?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 21 Apr 2009, 9:19 AM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last post: 15 Sep 2005, 6:30 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 12 Nov 2004, 11:12 AM
  4. Indianapolis: Little Mexico
    Cities and Places