Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Guess the City 218: Unbuilt Edition 1

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Guess the City 218: Unbuilt Edition 1

This was supposed to be what one American city would look like in the 1980s, if the project shown in the image above was completed. Name that city.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

That would be the S _ _ _ B _ _ _ _ _ _ North C _ _ _ _ _ stop before terminating at the Audubon New Community.

Flushing Meadows, Queens, NY. {WAG}
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    bflo_la almost has it. Fill in the blanks.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I suppose it must be the SUNY-Buffalo (UB) North campus light rail stop before terminating at the Audubon New Community.
    If it is UB, where did you find the image?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983
    I suppose it must be the SUNY-Buffalo (UB) North campus light rail stop before terminating at the Audubon New Community.
    That's it! You're looking at the Town of Amherst. It's Metro Rail -- the heavy rail version -- at the never-built North Campus station of what was supposed to be the 50,000+ student SUNY Buffalo campus.

(for now) Frozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    That's it! You're looking at the Town of Amherst. It's Metro Rail -- the heavy rail version -- at the never-built North Campus station of what was supposed to be the 50,000+ student SUNY Buffalo campus.
    yuck....that would have been a horrible environment for students....kinda like Michigan State University
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    "yuck....that would have been a horrible environment for students....kinda like Michigan State University" originally posted by Mendelman

Actually the UB that did get built isn't that different from what Dan pictured. Granted the buildings don't look exactly the same but the essence of the layout is relatively similar. All four SUNY universities are have postwar suburban campuses, where not having a car can be very inconvienent.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    I have to agree with jsk1983, the UB campus that was built is an absolutely terrible place, and if you don't have a car there, you are virtually trapped on campus. If only MetroRail would have been completed...
    'Planning Rockstar in training';-)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    quote: "I have to agree with jsk1983, the UB campus that was built is an absolutely terrible place, and if you don't have a car there, you are virtually trapped on campus. If only MetroRail would have been completed... " thestip

Does UB run busses to take students to their off-campus residences are to the stores? Where I go to school, Binghamton University, the university runs busses that take students home to to their houses in the city of Binghamton or Johnson City, the campus is actually in suburban Vestal, which is across the river from the cities and accessible by a four lane highway. The housing surrounding the campus is typical 1960s suburban colonials and split levels, and of course not conducive to student housing. Even the nearest suburban apartments are probably at least a mile away via roads with no sidewalks. Needless to say hardly anyone walks to school. They drive if they can or take the bus. Naturally the campus is surrounded by acres of parking, and getting a parking spot during peak times can take some searching. Interestingly enough they forbid freshmen that live on campus from parking a car on the campus.

Dan,

Have yous seen the early prposals for the downtwon portion of metrorail?

There are some other extravagant planing concepts for Buffalo's metro rail out there. The very early heavy rail plan included an underground downtown portion which was very extensive including many leveles of underground retail and huge stations connecting all the buildings along main street. Later these is an equally grand at grade light rail scheme which shows main street and many side streets closed to traffic and covered with a glass roof extending for at least 10 blocks. It was very similar to that street in LV that is covered with glass. The current main street pedestrian mall is a severely striped down version of the original proposal.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    If your ever at the library, check out the city's comprehensive plan from the 1970's. There's a lot in there that never got built.

Like steel mentioned, the original rail line was suppose to be underground downtown, with the glass covered pedestrian mall extending down Main Street. The rail lines would connect underground where Lafayette Square (which would have been built over with some building in the drawings) is currently located. This is where you'd transfer to either go to the airport line, tonawanda/kenmore line, buffalo/ub line, or vice versa. I forgot whether a southtowns line was in there as well.

Downtown would have also been completely isolated from any adjacent neighborhoods by an extensive highway system that never got built. The I-190 and 33 were already there, but the Oak-Elm corridor would have become a canyon like the 33, and the 33 would have extended west along Goodell to Edward to Virginia before reaching the I-190.

Lots of other things in the plan too, like what the skyline would have looked like with the additional buildings that never got built.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983
    quote: "I have to agree with jsk1983, the UB campus that was built is an absolutely terrible place, and if you don't have a car there, you are virtually trapped on campus. If only MetroRail would have been completed... " thestip

Does UB run busses to take students to their off-campus residences are to the stores? Where I go to school, Binghamton University, the university runs busses that take students home to to their houses in the city of Binghamton or Johnson City, the campus is actually in suburban Vestal, which is across the river from the cities and accessible by a four lane highway. The housing surrounding the campus is typical 1960s suburban colonials and split levels, and of course not conducive to student housing. Even the nearest suburban apartments are probably at least a mile away via roads with no sidewalks. Needless to say hardly anyone walks to school. They drive if they can or take the bus. Naturally the campus is surrounded by acres of parking, and getting a parking spot during peak times can take some searching. Interestingly enough they forbid freshmen that live on campus from parking a car on the campus.
    I don't know if UB runs shuttle busses to the neighboring (about a mile away, over the 290) shopping district. I do know that UB runs shuttle busses between the South Campus (City) and the North Campus (Amherst). Also, when UB is in session, you want to avoid the Niagara Falls Blvd., Sheridan Dr., Maple Rd., Millersport Hwy., section of Amherst. Traffic is rediculous almost all day long.
    UB North Campus is also one of the most pedestrian unfriendly campus' I have ever seen. The buildings are way spread out and there are acres upon acres upon acres of parking. Of course we couldn't think about ever building a parking ramp, but it would probably sink into the swamp anyways. I don't relish the thought of getting my Masters at the place.

Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator
    If your ever at the library, check out the city's comprehensive plan from the 1970's. There's a lot in there that never got built.

Like steel mentioned, the original rail line was suppose to be underground downtown, with the glass covered pedestrian mall extending down Main Street. The rail lines would connect underground where Lafayette Square (which would have been built over with some building in the drawings) is currently located. This is where you'd transfer to either go to the airport line, tonawanda/kenmore line, buffalo/ub line, or vice versa. I forgot whether a southtowns line was in there as well.

Downtown would have also been completely isolated from any adjacent neighborhoods by an extensive highway system that never got built. The I-190 and 33 were already there, but the Oak-Elm corridor would have become a canyon like the 33, and the 33 would have extended west along Goodell to Edward to Virginia before reaching the I-190.

Lots of other things in the plan too, like what the skyline would have looked like with the additional buildings that never got built.
    That highway loop plan was a very popular concept back in the 60's Many cities planned similar schemes. Some actually implemented them. Rochester is a good nearby example of a completed downtown loop. The idea was that the inner loop expressways would be tied directly into parking decks and then people would walk into the downtown core. Buffalo woke up just in time. The Elm Oak Arterial was scaled back to wide fast one way streets instead of a limited access highway. The west side connector was eiliminated all together. There is an exit ramp on Niagara street from the Niagara section of the Throughway which would have been the western terminous of this spur. This section would have plowed thought some nice architecture and would have cut downtown off from the wealthiest section of the city.

Rumpy can you possibly post those pics?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally posted by steel
    That highway loop plan was a very popular concept back in the 60's Many cities planned similar schemes. Some actually implemented them. Rochester is a good nearby example of a completed downtown loop. The idea was that the inner loop expressways would be tied directly into parking decks and then people would walk into the downtown core. Buffalo woke up just in time. The Elm Oak Arterial was scaled back to wide fast one way streets instead of a limited access highway. The west side connector was eiliminated all together. There is an exit ramp on Niagara street from the Niagara section of the Throughway which would have been the western terminous of this spur. This section would have plowed thought some nice architecture and would have cut downtown off from the wealthiest section of the city.
    Both the Niagara St. and the Elm/Oak ramps on the 190 were configured for this. Also, most of the Elm/Oak arterial was demolished for the purpose of this. That's why there are all those low rise buildings built in the late '70's and early '80's. I must say though, that was one bullet that just grazed us. It would have totally ruined Allentown and downtown.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by steel
    Rumpy can you possibly post those pics?
    I've got a photocopy of the proposed street system from the plan. I'll see if I can scan it.

Larger pic

Larger pic

I don't know how to get these pictures to be larger by clicking on them here, but there are larger pictures under my name in the members gallery.
    Last edited by Rumpy Tunanator; 04 Feb 2005 at 5:38 PM. Reason: Add pictures and provide links
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Registered
    Dec 2003
    The above pictures were taken from: The Regional Center- A Comprehensive Plan for Downtown Buffalo, New York by Wallace, McHarg, Roberts, & Todd of Philidelphia I believe. April 1971.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 07 Jun 2005, 5:58 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 04 Feb 2005, 4:01 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last post: 03 May 2004, 4:42 PM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last post: 19 Apr 2004, 11:39 PM
  5. Replies: 8