Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Ethics: water diversion ignored (was:If it is illegal, ignore it)

Registered
    Aug 2001

Ethics: water diversion ignored (was:If it is illegal, ignore it)

So here is an interesting story of federeal employees who knew for a decade of an illegal water diversion and did nothing, and the planners who learned of it and said nothing as they continued to review plans for a 1000 home subdivision. Let me dust off my planner's code of ethics. Oh wait, I think I threw it away. Never-the-less I am pretty sure that it would be the duty of a planner to report in his/her findings that the water rights upon which a new subdivision are based do not exist or are illegally obtained.

Here's a quote:

"Fresno County planners, who have worked closely with Ewell to pave the way for the town, say they also have known about the illegal diversion for a year but never informed the Board of Supervisors or the public.

'I don't want to leave you with the impression that we're trying to hide anything," said county staffer Phil Desatoff. "If the media would have asked, we would have disclosed it.' "

I see. It isn't important. At least it isn't important unless the public hears about it. If the public knew about it then we would tell them. If they didn't know about it, there would be no point in telling them.

The way I see it, somebody needs a good firing.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...=la-home-local
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Lies seem to be part and parcle as of late for planning I am sorry to say.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Clearly, these guys can't say "fiduciary responsibility".

Sad indeed.
    Je suis Charlie

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    "I can't disclose that this happened...they'll fire me!"

I think in a few jurisdictions planners have grown so skidish that they no longer have the independence that they used to. I have a feeling somebody who thought that by staying quiet his/her job would be secure is about to find out otherwise...

Sometimes the right decision isn't always a pleasant one. I'm a little surprised that the developers were that careless since this can come back to haunt them as well.

That guy is sooooo fired!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. why do we ignore dvdneal?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 17 May 2013, 6:50 PM
  2. Ignore Thread?
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 30 Jul 2007, 1:28 PM
  3. Friday Diversion
    Friday Afternoon Club