Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Smallpox and the U.S. Army

Registered
    Oct 2001

Smallpox and the U.S. Army

Did, as is often claimed by "lefties," the U.S. Army distribute smallpox-laden blankets to Native tribes during our wars of conquest? This is a common story I have heard and read in various sources throughout the years.

But: is this story "true"? It turns out that the infamous Ward Churchill was one of the major proponents of the biological warfare argument-and his research may have been fabricated. http://hal.lamar.edu/~BROWNTF/Churchill1.htm

Interesting.

(Not to deny our genocidal history, but...)

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    Did, as is often claimed by "lefties," the U.S. Army distribute smallpox-laden blankets to Native tribes during our wars of conquest? This is a common story I have heard and read in various sources throughout the years.

But: is this story "true"? It turns out that the infamous Ward Churchill was one of the major proponents of the biological warfare argument-and his research may have been fabricated. http://hal.lamar.edu/~BROWNTF/Churchill1.htm

Interesting.

(Not to deny our genocidal history, but...)
    Typical. One of your poster boys gets caught with his hand in the academic cookie jar and you shift the conversation to the alledged sins of others. Where's the outrage over Churchill and his ongoing tirade? Cat got your tounge?

PS He's not an Indian either.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    Typical. One of your poster boys gets caught with his hand in the academic cookie jar and you shift the conversation to the alledged sins of others. Where's the outrage over Churchill and his ongoing tirade? Cat got your tounge?

PS He's not an Indian either.

Both liberals and conservatives treat their respective wackos the same way, we ignore them. I didn't hear many outraged conservatives shouting about the crap the spews from Falwell or Limbaugh. It's kind of like that crazy uncle we all have, you just pretend they don't exist and hope no one remembers who they belong to.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Come on-El Guapo. The whole point of my post was "look at this guy's lies." The post I linked to is certainly not very complementary (it basically calls Mr. Churchill a fraud.)

I was merely ACKNOWLEDGING that one of the myths of the left appears to be based on lies. Versus the conservative approach when caught lying: change the focus/definition of the problem. (Let's see. Was it imminent danger from weapons of mass destruction. Or terrorism. Or the suffering of the Iraqi people (largely caused by us, of course) Or bringing democracy at the point of a gun and through the torture chamber? Which one was it, again? As a taxpayer partially responble for this utter debacle. I would like to know.)

Mr. Churchill is hardly a representative of "the left" with any real power or influence over anything. I'd never heard of him before the recent contretemps. I'll take Giff's point a little further: Look ath the nutcases on the right like the Tom DeLay, the "Reverend" Moon, the "Reverend" Falwell, Grover Norquist, and Ann Coulter, and the like. When the mainstream conservative movement begins to really call them out and eliminate THEIR baleful influence, rather than APPOINTING THEIR PROTOGES to power, then you have the right to snark. Until then, posts like your's show a laughable degree of HYPOCRISY.

The main point of posting this was not another "all liberals are evil" post but to discuss other's knowledge of these issues. It can't be this "Native" professor's research alone that fostered the idea of smallpox balnkets.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Come on-El Guapo. The whole point of my post was "look at this guy's lies." The post I linked to is certainly not very complementary (it basically calls Mr. Churchill a fraud.)

I was merely ACKNOWLEDGING that one of the myths of the left appears to be based on lies. Versus the conservative approach when caught lying: change the focus/definition of the problem. (Let's see. Was it imminent danger from weapons of mass destruction. Or terrorism. Or the suffering of the Iraqi people (largely caused by us, of course) Or bringing democracy at the point of a gun and through the torture chamber? Which one was it, again? As a taxpayer partially responble for this utter debacle. I would like to know.)

Mr. Churchill is hardly a representative of "the left" with any real power or influence over anything. I'd never heard of him before the recent contretemps. I'll take Giff's point a little further: Look ath the nutcases on the right like the Tom DeLay, the "Reverend" Moon, the "Reverend" Falwell, Grover Norquist, and Ann Coulter, and the like. When the mainstream conservative movement begins to really call them out and eliminate THEIR baleful influence, rather than APPOINTING THEIR PROTOGES to power, then you have the right to snark. Until then, posts like your's show a laughable degree of HYPOCRISY.

The main point of posting this was not another "all liberals are evil" post but to discuss other's knowledge of these issues. It can't be this "Native" professor's research alone that fostered the idea of smallpox balnkets.
    What you just wrote........
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Oct 2001

Looks like I missed your point. I read your post as, "Hey, let's bash the Army and their nazi-like Genocidal practices, and we'll use the retorical excesses of Churchill to segway over to that point." Now that you pointed out how you were out to clear the air on another liberal fairy tale I guess I have nothing to do but to offer you my appologies. Whoops.

Giff I enjoy listening to Rush on occasion. Fallwell scares the crap out of me. But he's really PG's problem.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo

Giff I enjoy listening to Rush on occasion.

Don't tell anyone, but I have too on occasion......
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by giff57
    Don't tell anyone, but I have too on occasion......
    Heck. Rush is somewhat funny, even I'll admit.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 05 Mar 2007, 11:55 AM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last post: 20 May 2005, 6:00 PM
  3. The Army and the Press
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 11 Dec 2004, 12:54 PM
  4. army dog
    Friday Afternoon Club