Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Dumb Government Or Institution Decisions

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Dumb Government Or Institution Decisions

I thought about putting this comment on the "Random" thread. But the more I thought about it the more I figured the title alone would bring out some interesting posts.

The thread was inspired by reading another thread today, about the "plight" of coffee growers. Got me remembering back to the 1970's.....

The University of Toledo had a group of aging and small wooden buildings that they were using for "temporary student housing". These buildings, if this ole' Bear recalls correctly, were built in during WWII and were never meant to still be standing in the 1970's.

The Toledo Health Department inspected the buildings and found them "unsafe for human habitation". So what did the University of Toledo do?

They sold them to an area tomato farmer, who used them for housing of migrant workers.

So, help me understand......they are NOT suitable for college students but they ARE suitable for migrant farm workers?

What a world.

Bear Chavez
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    I thought about putting this comment on the "Random" thread. But the more I thought about it the more I figured the title alone would bring out some interesting posts.

The thread was inspired by reading another thread today, about the "plight" of coffee growers. Got me remembering back to the 1970's.....

The University of Toledo had a group of aging and small wooden buildings that they were using for "temporary student housing". These buildings, if this ole' Bear recalls correctly, were built in during WWII and were never meant to still be standing in the 1970's.

The Toledo Health Department inspected the buildings and found them "unsafe for human habitation". So what did the University of Toledo do?

They sold them to an area tomato farmer, who used them for housing of migrant workers.

So, help me understand......they are NOT suitable for college students but they ARE suitable for migrant farm workers?

What a world.

Bear Chavez

Sadly, it might be better housing than "under the overpass" or seven men per one-bedroom apartment.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Our council banned the tossing of candy during the Memorial Day Parade, because the occasion is too somber for candy tossing. However, they did not ban the smiling, waving and hand shaking by politicians who use this somber occasion to campaign.

This is the same council who accused the WWII vets who were rebuilding the veterans' monument of using Gestapo tactics.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 01 Apr 2013, 9:41 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 22 Sep 2005, 10:36 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 12 Jan 2005, 11:47 PM
  4. Guess the institution #1
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 05 Feb 2004, 10:45 PM