Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Girls Sued for Delivering Cookies

Registered
    Oct 2000

Girls Sued for Delivering Cookies

I don't know if you saw this article, but two teenage girls were sued for baking and delivering cookies to their neighbor. .

Seriously - how often do you hear about teenagers doing something nice and selfless for other people, and this is how they're repaid? ugh.

so glad the judge ruled against that crazy woman.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    OMFG. If you are wound so tight that somebody knocking on your door and running away freaks you out for the rest of the night, then you seriously need some therapy.

Young said the teenagers showed "very poor judgment" "The victory wasn't sweet," Young said. "I'm not gloating about it. I just hope the girls learned a lesson."
    Yeah, they learned their lesson all right, don't do anything nice so you don't get sued.

The teenagers' families offered to pay Young's medical bills, but she declined and sued, saying their apologies were not sincere and were not offered in person
    And had I been the judge in this case, I would have smiled and told Young that the neighbors made a more than generous offer as an apology and that she was now responsible for paying their attorney fees as well as pain and suffering for the girls, who I believe are the only ones in this story with a legit arguement for being tramatized because of the lawsuit for doing something nice. I think Mrs. Young should also be required to volunteer with a troubled-youth program so she can better see that these girls were above the character of many teens.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Shouldn't this be called, why Colorado is going to hell?
    Jeez... how does the US court system even let people file stupid law suits like that?

OMG I'm so scared somebody is knocking on my door! Who is it? No answer! ahh some cookies OMG I crapped my pants because I'm sooo scared....
    This lady should be sued $900 dollars for being such an idiot, and being mean to nice girls...

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Just imagine if they had left a bag of flaming poop... she'd have keeled over right there.

I vote for euthanasia in this case.

edit: The more I think about it, the fact that the judge made the girls and their families pay anything is a travesty. The judge should be brought to task for that one. The only sane conclusion is tossing it out of court and forcing Mrs. Young to pay all court-related expenses.

Durango, is that anywhere near Colorado Springs?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Yet another reason that the American society is the way it is. When you can sue someone for something so freaking stupid, what kind of message does this send? Furthermore, I think that it is people like Ms. Young who are truly responsible for the fabric of society being ripped apart. You know how old people complain how “these young kids don’t know respect these days.” Things like this don’t help all that much.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat
    Durango, is that anywhere near Colorado Springs?

Nah, Durango is in southwest Colorado - near the Four Corners and Mesa Verde

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Obviously, the woman who sued is a hateful individual worthy of derision. But who else thinks the cookie-bakers are a bit creepy themselves? A couple of 17 and 18 year olds calling themselves the "T and L Club" and baking cookies for the neighborhood? Then anonymously delivering them in the dead of night with a note that says "Have a good night" ? That's kind of weird behavior.

Regardless of that, IMO the judge should have thrown the case before it even had a chance to be heard.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    People are strange
    when you're a stranger

The Doors
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I find it amusing that morons who sue for stupid reasons are more likely now to find themselves villified by the press via the internet. Hope the woman is a little embarrassed now. I mean, I can see, living in a rural area, being freaked out by a late night ring of the bell, but sheesh, don't sue over it!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    Just imagine if they had left a bag of flaming poop... she'd have keeled over right there.

I can imagine that'll be the next "delivery"...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Doors-quoter, you rock my socks.

That is all.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I can attest that living in a rural area, especially if you are set back far from any road, you tend to be a little more cautious when the doorbell rings unexpectedly late at night. Still, if you use a little common sense it should not be too hard to figure out that a package of cookies left on your doorstop is not an imminent threat of death. What the h*ll is wrong with people like this?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I don't think I would eat cookies that were annoymously left by my front door but this lady needs to get the cookies delivered to her door one ingredient at a time, starting with the raw eggs!
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff
    I can imagine that'll be the next "delivery"...
    A package of cookies tied to a brick going through her front window?

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    Obviously, the woman who sued is a hateful individual worthy of derision. But who else thinks the cookie-bakers are a bit creepy themselves? A couple of 17 and 18 year olds calling themselves the "T and L Club" and baking cookies for the neighborhood? Then anonymously delivering them in the dead of night with a note that says "Have a good night" ? That's kind of weird behavior.

Regardless of that, IMO the judge should have thrown the case before it even had a chance to be heard.
    Not to get into religion, but I grew up in Utah and people of a certain religion there and in Colorado would sometimes do things like this. Weird things that would be nice if the girls were 14 but seemed a little weird and immature at 18. Large teddy bear collections, colored in coloring books in spare time, favorite movie an animated Disney film. Then they get married right after graduating. It puzzles me. I had a crush on a girl like this once and I shudder to think.... She had a couple kids by the time I got my college degree, and I bet she still has that dang Beanie Baby collection. It was a big tradition there to ask people to dances by leaving odd things on people's doorsteps late at night (after 8:30 or so.) You did a chalk outline of yourself in their driveway and scrawled "I'm dying to go to the dance with you." Then they'd reply a few nights later with a bag of M&Ms on your doorstep and if they'd put more green than yellow ones in the bag it was yes, or some crap like that. (One time a girl left her invitation to a dance on the wrong doorstep. When I didn't answer, she realized the mistake and a few nights later I answered the doorbell to find a bag of screws, nuts and bolts on my porch. "Sorry I screwed up.") I thought this was a high school dance thing everywhere but people gave me funny looks in college when it came up so I assume it isn't. Anyway, these girls have that certain religion written all over them if you ask me.

Hmm, this story doesn't seem to have it, but a longer story on this I read somewhere else had the old crone saying she thought the people at her door might be "neighbors she'd had run-ins with in the past." And I thought, gee, I can't imagine that.

BANNED
    Registered
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Downtown
    I don't know if you saw this article, but two teenage girls were sued for baking and delivering cookies to their neighbor. .

Seriously - how often do you hear about teenagers doing something nice and selfless for other people, and this is how they're repaid? ugh.

so glad the judge ruled against that crazy woman.

No one is asking the right question, were the girls cute?

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally posted by acchhhoooo
    No one is asking the right question, were the girls cute?
    I saw a picture. Meh.

Edit: A link with a picture if you're so inclined. It also includes the line about the woman thinking it might be neighbors she'd tangled with in the past.
    http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,...691638,00.html

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by mentarman
    I saw a picture. Meh.
    If you have a paper bag, you'll be allright....

sorry paper bags
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I see why the lady ended up in the emergency room... Does that link classify as NWS?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    The one on the right frightens me (from the photo).

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator
    If you have a paper bag, you'll be allright....

sorry paper bags

Double bag 'em... They fell out of the ugly tree and didn't miss a branch.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I didn't see the knocking after 10:30 pm portion of the article until just now. If you knock on my door after 10:00pm I come to the door a packin' Knocking on a door of a stranger at 10:30 in the evening in the midwest/west is rude and unexpected. But an anxiety attack, give me a break!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by mentarman
    I saw a picture. Meh.

Edit: A link with a picture if you're so inclined. It also includes the line about the woman thinking it might be neighbors she'd tangled with in the past.
    http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,...691638,00.html
    Huh, they looked better on the Denver news this morning, still "meh" but better than this picture
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 13 Jul 2010, 12:26 PM
  2. Fortune cookies
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 19 May 2010, 3:24 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 16 Oct 2008, 1:05 AM
  4. Girl Scout Cookies