Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Local government role in eliminating homelessness

Registered
    Jan 2005

Local government role in eliminating homelessness

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question. However, I was reading an article about urban decay and in a section about homelessness, it explained some local government's role in the elimination of homelessness and one example was as drastic as providing homeless persons with bus tickets "out of town." It didn't explain when or where or how frequently this happened. I'm not expecting often but I'm just interested in reading more about it. Has anyone heard of this practice or know anything about it. If this was in fact practiced, talk about making homelessness someone else's problem.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yes....

Quote Originally posted by erosenda
    I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question. However, I was reading an article about urban decay and in a section about homelessness, it explained some local government's role in the elimination of homelessness and one example was as drastic as providing homeless persons with bus tickets "out of town." It didn't explain when or where or how frequently this happened. I'm not expecting often but I'm just interested in reading more about it. Has anyone heard of this practice or know anything about it. If this was in fact practiced, talk about making homelessness someone else's problem.
    I've heard of this practice with local social services agencies. Provide the bus/train ticket to a relative or some other place. Check with your local social services rep. to see what kind of program they may have in place. Also, I think I heard a story about Key West chartering a bus for homeless relocation north.....might be worth looking into....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2004
    I've heard of this a million times, but here is some documentation:

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,...845833,00.html

http://www.cceh.org/newsarchivefeud.htm

I have a friend worked at a social service org which would pay for bus tickets for homeless people to return to their families. . .but I think that there is afine line between that and just shipping them out of town.

In the editorial below the author gives you a sappy story about reuniting a family, but closes the article by stating that the homeless make downtown intimidating and that shipping them back to their hometowns is a creative solution. . .

http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlan...ditorial2.html

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by planner?
    I

I have a friend worked at a social service org which would pay for bus tickets for homeless people to return to their families. . .but I think that there is afine line between that and just shipping them out of town.
    The government of Alberta did that here - and started sending their homeless, by way of a one-way ticket, to British Columbia - it doesn't work, it just transferes the problems, and with no solution at the source, it becomes a problem again, and again, and again...
    Mitchbaby: Proud to be a :canada: planner and a :canada: surfer

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by MitchBaby
    The government of Alberta did that here - and started sending their homeless, by way of a one-way ticket, to British Columbia - it doesn't work, it just transferes the problems, and with no solution at the source, it becomes a problem again, and again, and again...
    But at least it becomes Somebody Else's Problem, and therefore invisible.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Stories used to circulated that the city of Reno would by one-way tickets for the homeless to the Bay Area and Santa Cruz County when Reno was having conventions and bowling tourneys. We were never able to confirm.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by planner?
    I've heard of this a million times, but here is some documentation:

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,...845833,00.html

http://www.cceh.org/newsarchivefeud.htm

In the editorial below the author gives you a sappy story about reuniting a family, but closes the article by stating that the homeless make downtown intimidating and that shipping them back to their hometowns is a creative solution. . .

http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlan...ditorial2.html
    Thanks a lot everyone for the information. I found the quote - ""We think the bus ticket forward program is a humane way to help folks maybe have a better chance somewhere else," said Commissioner Mike Opat." ammusing. I figured that would be a response of someone when confronted about the bus tickets.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Understanding local government
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 25 Sep 2008, 12:19 AM
  2. Replies: 41
    Last post: 23 Apr 2006, 10:43 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 12 Jan 2005, 11:47 PM
  4. Welcome to local government
    Friday Afternoon Club