Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Paczki Thread

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Speaking of paczki, thanks Bear for informing us how to pronounce paczki. I thought it was pew-gi. Close, but no cigar.

I had a paczki last Saturday. It was yummy good!

If any of you are looking for places to get paczki in Toronto, then go to one of these two neighbourhoods to find them. Both neighbourhoods have bakeries that make these paczki.

Neighbourhood #1: Roncesvalles - once a very Polish community, but not as much anymore. It's located at Roncesvalles Avenue between Queen Street West and Bloor Street West.

Neighbourhood #2: Bloor Street West Village - an Eastern European neighbourhood between Keele Street and Jane Street on Bloor Street West.

Btw, what are those yummy treats that are like crepes with sweet cottage cheese wrapped in a roll called?

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

2007 Version

Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    Tomorrow is the 2006 version of "Fat Tuesday". Once again, paczki's are the rage in the Toledo area. Probably also in Chicago, Pittsburgh, Detroit, and Posen, MI.

In the Polish neighborhood along Lagrange Street there is a group that had made thousands and thousands of these tasty treats and started selling them on Sunday. Their sale continues into Fat Tuesday, and they will sell them until they are gone.

On Wednesday we will all be in line at The Y, The J, Curves, or some such place.

Bear With Powdered Sugar On His Nose
    Yeah yeah yeah.....more of the same....yum city, baby..... .....this morning we are bringing in about 200 of those puppies for the folks in my distribution center.....we will have to "hide" the paczkis for 2nd Shift, 'cause the folks on the early shift will devour them......burp.....

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    Yeah yeah yeah.....more of the same....yum city, baby..... .....this morning we are bringing in about 200 of those puppies for the folks in my distribution center.....we will have to "hide" the paczkis for 2nd Shift, 'cause the folks on the early shift will devour them......burp.....

Bear
    Are they the tradtional prune filled?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Traditional Paczkis are Prune, Apricot, and Rose???

I brought a couple dozen to the office this morning. I picked them up at the polish baker about 100 feet from my home. I ordered them in various flavors (except the ones listed above because they don't go over well with the non-poles).
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    May 2003
    Yeah, "Fat Tuesday" is just around the time piece corner. Tomorrow morning we will be bringing in another couple hundred paczkis for our distribution center folks. We stick with the fillings that people like the most.....jelly, custard. We stay away from traditional fillings like prune.

Can Easter be far behind?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Local donut shop was advertising that they had lemon and blueberry.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I grew up in the Detroit suburbs and though I am neither Polish nor Catholic, I always loved Fat Tuesday as a kid because my dad would always bring home a box (or three) of paczkis from work that somebody who was fresh of the boat from Poland had brought in with them that day.

So far today I have only had one... and it came from Starbucks of all places (and I hat to admit it but it was pretty darn good, even if it was a bit small).

Edit: I am now up to two for the day. The boss's boss brought in some from Meijer... not bad.
    Last edited by WSU MUP Student; 05 Feb 2008 at 9:26 AM.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    ...So far today I have only had one... and it came from Starbucks of all places (and I hat to admit it but it was pretty darn good, even if it was a bit small).

Edit: I am now up to two for the day. The boss's boss brought in some from Meijer... not bad.
    Meijer? Whazzat???

The ones from Fred might have the fun facts sticker on the side of the box. One year my beloved Freep dissected the ingredients in their typically hilarious way...a single paczek is about two weeks worth of fat and sugar.

[prefers King cake]

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I am now on to number three for the day.

The best so far is the third one - a raspberry filled paczki from a box with no name on it.

Second best - apple filled from Starbucks

Third best - blueberry from Meijer (the filling was great, but it was just an slighltly larger powdered donut)
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I am now on to number three for the day....
    I had better stop reading this thread until I take some aspirin.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hmmm.....

I'd try one......but have never heard of it before reading this thread.....

I can't get enough of this though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lefsa
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I guess this explains why our one Yankee employee (Pennsylvania native) brought in doughnuts this morning...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Just got an email stating that it is Packzi day at school. Of course they may be gone before I get there. I may head up to a bakery and get some today if I have time.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Growing up in a catholic school in Detroit, pazcki day was one of the biggest days of the year. Bigger than Halloween or Valentines day.

The nuns sold Pazcki and the ladies altar society would sell penny candy. The kids would be all hopped up on sugar and running around the room.

I just assumed those sorts of things happened everywhere. It wasn't until I was in college that I realized most folks did not know what pazcki was, now it is slowly becomming like a northern mardi-gras day/
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    May 2004
    At my gig, there was a table set up selling paczki for a buck. (I did not.)

Afterwards I ran up to Meijer, and there was a wall of paczki in there distinctive white boxes. (It may have been the remnants of a much larger wall.) And another big mess of 'em over by the greeter.

So of course I asked a bakery person if they had any.

What flavor is Holland Cream? (No way I'm gonna buy six of those things just to find out.)

Registered
    May 2003

Clock In My Stomach

This Bear is NOT Edgar Allan Poe. There is not a beating heart sound coming from under the floorboards.

But.....there is an ominous "tick tick" sound coming from my "tum tum".

Tuesday is Fat Tuesday. Good bet that some Paczkis will be listed in my Franklin Planner. Oh wait.....I no longer carry a Franklin Planner. Last year Paczki crumbs dropped on the pages and I ate the dang planner.

Bear

(Obvious PS......never good to eat a planner.)
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2004

King cake sightings

Found some at a Kroger in Lansing. Yes, some. Took one to last night's dance, saving another for next Saturday.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Paczki!!! Had one on Monday and will call in an order to Eckloff's on Monday for Tuesday morning for the office!!!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Well, yet another food we have never heard of in the South! (Not that I'm a big pastry fan, actually...)

As I've mentioned before, I never saw or ate a bagel until I was a freshman in college in Massachusetts. We did not grow up in a diverse area.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    They are huge in Milwauke too. People line up around the block to get them. Jelly filled are my favs.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    The wife picked up some at Bashas yesterday. They were less than spectacular...the raspberry jelly tasted like cheap pie filling.

The last time I had one was in college when I was dating a girl whose Dad escaped from Poland.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    So I had to look it up and see what a paczki is never having had one. Seems I have had some of its international cousins though!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I'm going to be pretty busy before work tommorrow. Between being the company Pole and being required to pick up a couple dozen for the office and getting to the polls to vote in the primary for the new mayor!

Maybe I'll get confused and bring ballots to the office and donuts to the polling station? No polish jokes please.

Registered
    May 2003

Paczkis For 150 !!!

Tomorrow is Fat Tuesday. We will be doing the usual paczki treat dance at our workplace.......feeding the sugary fat goodies to 150 smiling employees. Woo-hoo!

Last summer we bought a manufacturing company in Shreveport, LA. My guess is that they are not going to be enjoying paczkis tomorrow. They probably go for gumbo or some such thing.

Happy Fat Tuesday!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    On my way back from the bar i picked up a 6-er of bavarian creme paczkis. YUM

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 07 Jan 2013, 11:49 PM
  2. Thread thread attention split
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 08 May 2012, 5:35 PM
  3. Replies: 24
    Last post: 17 Jun 2011, 4:41 PM
  4. Replies: 23