Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Measuring sound levels

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Measuring sound levels

Hey, I know the throbbing brain has a couple of code enforcement folks on here, so here's a question for ya.

Our City just bought a sound level meter that has a couple of different settings. I know very little about different frequencies, etc, so I need some advice. The meter I bought has a 50-126dB range. It also has two different "weights". The "A" weight has A-curve frequency characteristics and responds to 500-10,000 Hz range. The "C" weight has C-curve frequency characteristics and responds to 32-10,000 Hz range. The little manual says that "A" is best to determine an area's noise level, while "C" is to measure sound levels of musical material.

So, which one is the most appropriate from your experience?

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    You'll want to use the (a) measurement. Our code even dictates that the readings must be taken using the (a) setting.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    You'll want to use the (a) measurement. Our code even dictates that the readings must be taken using the (a) setting.
    Thanks! I figured that one of the authors of "Stan and Stan's Code Enforcement Adventures" would chime in with an answer.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jun 2003
    The 'A' weighting is supposed to replicate the sensitivity of the human ear - that is giving more weighting to the frequencies our ears are more sensitive to and less weighting to frequencies our ears are less sensitive to. For most land use arguments, the 'A' weighting is most appropriate. Also make sure you calibrate your new instrument (and record doing so) if you plan to rely on the readings in an enforcement dispute.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Levels of Religious Involvement
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 30
    Last post: 06 Nov 2006, 11:01 AM
  2. Terror Levels, Do you believe it?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 22 Dec 2003, 6:50 PM
  3. Ridership levels...
    Transportation Planning