Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Park Inventory Analysis

Registered
    Mar 2002

Park Inventory Analysis

Does anyone know where I can find guidelines for ....

how many playgrounds are needed per 1000 people
    how many tennis courts, etc.etc. etc.

My parks commission would like me to put something together showkng how we fit compared to the national average or guidelines.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Lookin gin my copy of land use planning made plain, by hok-lin leung there is a table of park types / sizes and populations. It is based on Chapin, FS and EJ Kaiser (1979) Urban Land Use Planning. Urbana,: University if Illinois Press.

type ______________acres/1000 pop _____ size range acres
    play lots ______________________________1
    vest pocket parks _______________________1
    neighbourhood parks__________2.5 ________5-20
    district _____________________2.5 _______20-100
    large urban __________________5 ____________100+
    regional ___________________ 20 ____________250+

hope this helps, there is way more info in the book that may be useful.

sorry about the bad formatting
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 1997

NPRA

I think the National Parks and Recreation Association has national averages for things like that. Our parks department is just starting a strategic plan to evaluate how we compare to those averages and identify the type of facilities we need most.
    I'm not sure if NPRA has that information online or not.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I've looked on the NPRA site and haven't found a list of guidlines or national averages. Maybe I didn't look hard enough.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    NPRA used to have the standards. When we updated our Park Plan in 2001, we inquired with them for any updates. They advised us that tthey droopped the standards, as local preferences had come to vary so widely.

We took the "old" NPRA standards and had our citizens committee develop local modifications.

We used:

Neighborhood Park: 3 acres / 1000 people

Community Park: 6 acres / 1000 people

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Well that sucks....No wonder the lady from the NRPA library hasn't called me back with the new standards.

I guess I'll just use what we did in 1993.

Registered
    Aug 1997

State standards

I don't know how significant national averages or standards are anyways, given how the weather and cultural differences vary so much across the country.

Next thought: I wonder if there are state parks and rec associations that might have better data or guidlines that could be used. Where I used to work in Indiana, I was sent to a state parks and rec association conference where they talk about different projects in the state and some state and national funding sources.

Maybe look a little closer to home and see what you can find.

Just an idea.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Depending on your State planning laws, some of the standards may also show up in various communities' capital facilities elements/programs. I know in WA State we had to show a needs analysis along with funding, so I used to take the standards from nearby communities' CFPs and provide them to the Parks Board. Just another idea

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'll have to echo the thought that it varies quite a bit locally. Maybe even over time. In the last few years our averages have changes quite a bit as we have added large chunks of park and conservancy land to the city's inventory. I might start with the old published standards, and then ask; do neighboring communities have standards that you can reference? From there, does your community want the same or more or less than their neighbors? It really comes down to "feeling" and local preference more than any objective number.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 09 Jan 2008, 6:11 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 05 Dec 2007, 8:03 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last post: 31 May 2007, 10:40 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Apr 2006, 10:27 AM
  5. Signs / billboards Sign inventory
    Land Use and Zoning