Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Yet another job interview question version infinity

Registered
    Sep 2001

Yet another job interview question version infinity

Things are looking up for me, the move is done and now I have 2 job interviews this week and possibly a date. The question I am concerned with in the interview is when they ask "Why did you leave your last employer?" The truth is not too good, how should I answer that question in a light that best portrays me and the former employer?

Anyone else have to provide a copy of their degree to an employer at the interview stage?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    Anyone else have to provide a copy of their degree to an employer at the interview stage?
    Have done it between the first and second. Another wanted transcripts, which is worse becasue they see individual grades! Lets just say Accounting isnt my forte...

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Things are looking up for me, the move is done and now I have 2 job interviews this week and possibly a date. The question I am concerned with in the interview is when they ask "Why did you leave your last employer?" The truth is not too good, how should I answer that question in a light that best portrays me and the former employer?

I had a similar problem in that I left my last employer in under less than favorable circumstances. I frankly just did not fit into the office and business culture there and was miserable during my entire eight-month tenure. My response to the “Why did you leave?” question was that unfortunately sometimes things just don’t work out in business and that was one of those occasions. My advise would be to go that route and tell the interviewer that you the last job wasn’t a good fit, and you felt it was best to move on. You can even lie and say there were no hard feelings.

A copy of your degree? As in your diploma? Never...

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I've heard of transcript requests before, but never the actual degree. Weird.

I'd go the Biscuit route and just say that it was not a good fit or it wasn't what you expected based on the job description and interviews... something of that nature.

Good luck with your search!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Dec 2004
    I guess it depends on why you left your old job?! Hit a customer? Tell the boss off? Just didn't dig the vibe?

Ok, this sounds a little weird - why - did that not believe you that actually went to college?
    NATURE WASTES SPACE
    PAVEMENT IS OUR SALVATION

Zeroxed signs found along Pacific Coast Highway in 1990. Proudly hanging in my office ever since... ;)

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yup....

Be positive about everything and just say that the job wasn't the right fit for you.....

Yes, I had to provide both degrees....but they were in a rush to get me started in two weeks.....You should always have a copy of your transcripts and degrees handy....just in case......transcripts can be a pain to obtain....degrees can take weeks to get in the mail......
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Nov 2002

I've had to copy the degree. Kind of silly since they can just check with the school.

As to the "why did you leave" question, it shouldn't be too hard because you are transitioning from a rural to urban environment "reflecting your interests" or something like that. You seem to have good reasons beyond "my boss is a jerk."

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I think you should try to be honest, and state the things you were unhappy with, without sounding like you're complaining too much. They may gain some insight from it, for example if a problem was that you weren't given enough autonomy or responsibility, they might be pleased to hear that you feel ready to step up and take on more. Turn it around so that it puts you in a good light. Try not to use emotional terms to describe previous issues, keep it constructive.

That's my $0.02. Good luck!

Registered
    Nov 2003
    What is the Throbbing Brain's take on re-applying for the same job that you interviewed for and didn't get? I've noticed a couple of opportunities but I interviewed for these jobs once before.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star
    What is the Throbbing Brain's take on re-applying for the same job that you interviewed for and didn't get?
    Re-apply. I've had that happen before. The interviewer said the fact I applied previously and wasn't interviewed but that I was still willing to apply again showed that I was interested in working for them and not easily deterred. I ended up getting the job. It turns out they were looking for slightly different skills sets than the first time.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    What is the Throbbing Brain's take on re-applying for the same job that you interviewed for and didn't get? I've noticed a couple of opportunities but I interviewed for these jobs once before.
    Who's paying the note? I wouldn't go back unless they pick up expenses. Or... as in the case of one place I interviewed, they turned out to be a real bunch of jerks.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I have and continue to do so with a certain large municipality that a certain cyburbanite works for.

I've even recently applied and interviewed at a place that I turned down a job offer from.

Yes, they want to see a copy of my actual diploma. If they had asked for my transcript I probably would have said thanks but no thanks, that is 9 years ago and I have learned way more in that time then I ever learned in school.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I have and continue to do so with a certain large municipality that a certain cyburbanite works for.

I've even recently applied and interviewed at a place that I turned down a job offer from.

Yes, they want to see a copy of my actual diploma. If they had asked for my transcript I probably would have said thanks but no thanks, that is 9 years ago and I have learned way more in that time then I ever learned in school.

Weird. Don't know what its like across the pond, but in my (limited) experience it seems that over here in the UK, most places want to see the actual degree certificate at interview stage. Of course, i may have just gotten unlucky and went for interviews at very nitpicky places...

Ah, the mysteries of life....

Regarding the orginal question, yeah, the whole 'It wasn't a good fit' angle sounds best. That way you're not bad mouthing them nor making yourself look bad.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Yes, I did -- for my current position. They not only wanted my official transcript, but also a copy of my diplomas!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I recall employers asking for a copy of my degree and/or transcripts when I was fresh out of school, but not once you have a good number of years experience under your belt.

Oh wait - I know the municipality you're interviewing with. They probably have had to implement procedures to ensure new employees are legit and not friends of friends, etc. If you have any "waste management" experience, be sure to play that up in the interview

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 22 Oct 2013, 11:53 AM
  2. Quick question about getting an interview
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 04 Oct 2008, 6:29 PM
  3. What interview question do you hate the most?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 15 Aug 2007, 12:27 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last post: 25 Apr 2005, 11:00 PM
  5. Replies: 14
    Last post: 15 Feb 2005, 11:09 AM