Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Personality test before an interview?

Registered
    Aug 2004

Personality test before an interview?

I'm going for an interview in a couple of days, and the HR lady told me that I have to take two tests before I even get into the interview. One is a personality profile test thing, and the other is a comprehensive test covering basic math, word problems, word choice (which word does not belong? a is to b as c is to what? etc), both of which are required.
    I've never had to do tests before interviewing before (not counting drug testing!). Has anyone else faced this before? Is there a possibility that a person can fail these tests? Only the comprehensive one is timed, btw . . .
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Mar 2004

Tests

I've taken both of the kinds of tests you mention, plus one that helps determine whether you can be "trustworthy." The personality test is fun and will let your employer know if your introverted or extroverted, analytical or animated.....can really help guide you in the right direction for whatever position you are trying to get. (If used correctly) I think these tests should be discussed between all employees working on the same team. This would allow everyone on the team to know the general personality of the other team members and might just help everyone get along better. (ok if everyone agrees to disclose) If I know team member x is extroverted and a bull dog in negotiations or just daily life, then I'll be prepared to deal with them better in the work environment......

The tests to determine if you will steal from the company, or are trustworthy, are just plain silly......they should rely on your criminal history for that.....

I foresee one day, the corporate gods requiring psychiatric evaluations and lie detector testing for everyone....I for one would like to know that I'm not in the same work environment as a psychopath nut job who can't wait to go postal on the co-workers.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I had to take what was called a congitive test at an interview. There was a Thread about it check it out.

Good luck.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm a lucky one that I has no personality.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I had to take both for the lowly job of Library Paige (ie the person who puts the books back on the shelf). What the personality test was for I don't know, but the other made sense. If you don't know the alphabet and can not count, the chances that you are going to put books back in the proper place are very slim.
    I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward. - Thomas Edison

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra
    I'm going for an interview in a couple of days, and the HR lady told me that I have to take two tests before I even get into the interview. One is a personality profile test thing, and the other is a comprehensive test covering basic math, word problems, word choice (which word does not belong? a is to b as c is to what? etc), both of which are required.
    I've never had to do tests before interviewing before (not counting drug testing!). Has anyone else faced this before? Is there a possibility that a person can fail these tests? Only the comprehensive one is timed, btw . . .
    Are you trying to get on with the federal government?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The skinny on DNA and personality
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 26 Sep 2011, 3:24 PM
  2. The Personality of States
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 24 Sep 2008, 11:20 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 11 Feb 2005, 3:09 PM