Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: BALTIMORE: new development

Registered
    Jun 2003

BALTIMORE: new development

This particular redevelopment area in Baltimore, located southeast of the CBD and within walking distance to Fells Point (which is located right southeast of this site), has changed very rapidly due to a recent real estate boom. Most of these projects are new developments, some are infills, and a few are adaptive use. I was quite satisfied with what's there already - most of these buildings were mixed-use, parking decks were hidden (note some trees planted on top of parking decks), there was a grocery store chain located at the ground level in one of the buildings (Whole Foods) - I'm only unsure about how affordable these apartments/lofts are... Enjoy some of the photos I took and please compare these with images in my other thread regarding 'old' development in Baltimore (see: http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27970 ).

Location (red rectangle):

Close-up:

Last edited by bocian; 18 Jan 2007 at 3:42 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by bocian View post
    I am only unsure about how affordable these apartments/lofts are...
    There is plenty of "affordable" housing in Baltimore. That is probably the last thing the city needs more of, besides crime of course.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Nice looking city! Where is everyone???
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Nice looking city! Where is everyone???
    This is a transitional waterfront area. Most of the real city activity is further northwest along Baltimore and Fayette Streets and to the east at Fells Point. The Lexington Market (Lexington and Paca Streets) is one of the most interesting and lively places I have ever visited. Baltimore is not an empty city, trust me.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I was thinking that maybe he took this early on Sunday, I do see lots of cars parked, just no one around. It just looked kind of odd to see that sort of density, that number of vehicles, yet no one walking.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I took the photos on Saturday around lunchtime, so that might explain why there are not that many pedestrians around. Note that most photos depict buildings still in final construction stages, so not many people actually live there yet... Nonetheless, Whole Foods was full of people, but overall there was much more pedestrian activity due east in Fells Point.
    For what it's worth, I was not pleased with the width of sidewalks in this revitalized area (too narrow considering the density) and lack of bicycle facilities (no bike lanes or parking), but perhaps those are still in planning stages. Design-wise it was a pleasing area, but something just didn't feel quite right about it and I'm not sure what it was...

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Did you have breakfast at the Blue Moon Cafe on Aliceanna Street? It the small converted rowhouse to the left of the new infill development in your neighborhood photo #13.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star View post
    Did you have breakfast at the Blue Moon Cafe on Aliceanna Street? It the small converted rowhouse to the left of the new infill development in your neighborhood photo #13.
    YES!! How did you know? That place was pretty nice, but we had to wait about 30 minutes for our sandwiches so that's when I took a walk with my camera to the Fells Point's heart.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Because my wife and I and some friends go there pretty regularly?
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Apr 2003

Fight Club?

Isn't this where Tyler Durden lived before he blew his condo up?

Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    Dec 2005

We aren't a ped city ..... YET!

Quote Originally posted by jmello View post
    This is a transitional waterfront area. Most of the real city activity is further northwest along Baltimore and Fayette Streets and to the east at Fells Point. The Lexington Market (Lexington and Paca Streets) is one of the most interesting and lively places I have ever visited. Baltimore is not an empty city, trust me.
    The areas you mention are not safe and quite dirty. Lexington Market is an area of anarchy. I attend a monthly meeting where the development agencies and gov. address the trouble that exists at the Market. Traffic directors are often assulted by people in the area - lively, yes - do I want to go over there? hell no.

I live in the area and am managing one of the current projects shown above.
    Harbor East is a great area but we will see what happens with the street level retail. The stores there are very expensive and unless the residents in the IMMEDIATE vicinity shop exclusively in the neighborhood I am not certain how long the current retail will exist.

As for the missing pedestrians - that is typically the case. Lunch during the week is active as well as dinner on the weekends - outside of that it is quiet.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I have got to start looking at this section of Cyburbia more. Seeing all this new development and redevelopment in older urban areas is so uplifting. Realizing that as bad as it has been for older urban cities in the past few decades, maybe the 2010 Census will show a noticeable return to urban cores.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Baltimore MD
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 30 Apr 2012, 11:12 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Jan 2008, 7:04 AM
  3. Hello from Baltimore
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 12 Oct 2007, 1:45 PM