Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: (Rant)Bill O'rielly, you're no Lynn Cheney, (Terry Gross int.)

(Rant)Bill O'rielly, you're no Lynn Cheney, (Terry Gross int.)

Did anybody catch the Teri Gross interview with Lynn Cheney? It was just horrific, every question seemed to be a segway to the real issue, LESBIANISM. After a while it was as if the books and any politics besides that of gay politics, didn't really matter. Everything came back to being gay. When Mrs. Cheney asked if they could discuss her writings, Teri went into one Cheney's book failures, but point wasn't to bring up the book's failure or plot, she just had to know if one of the characters was GAY. Then Cheney talks about how her mom was a deputy sherrif, to which Gross replies, that is a very unusual position for a lady in that time -what she really wanted to say was "that's a little dyk-E, isn't it? just admit it First Lady Cheney, you're a raging carpet cleaner!" I'm so burnt on this person, she's such a hack, leave already. But I'll give a shout out to the First Lady for showing up and for putting up, which is more than the pretentious a-hole Bill O'rielly would do, it's funny how bill and teri seem more like each other everyday. I'm done.

Disclaimer: I'm more of a Liberal than not. I've never subscribed to PBS stuff. I'm sure PBS could run as a purely private entity and improve its listenrship and fire T. Gross and make all of us victims a litlle happier.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Did she ask about Volvos?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Sounds horrific.

Terry Gross is one of those hosts I have a visceral reaction to. There is just something...smug and ...icky about her.

Maybe its a "tail end of the baby boom" thing, but I don't generally like early/mid baby boom's cultural illuminati. I just have a reaction to it. Does that make me an honorary conservative?

Does that make me an honorary conservative?
    My dad actually pledged one year, I think he did it just to try and fit in as a "liberal", it was less than a month before he dropped PBS, for numerous reasons -I'm sure Terry was one of them. He's still a liberal, just a presixties liberal, in other words he's very industrious, has good manners, and is a viscious social critic of everything that's a little too free and loving, and he likes war to solve problems, an all around amazing person.

Did she ask about Volvos?
    No volvos mentioned. When I graduate I'll buy an XC70, PERIOD, maybe used.

Fresh Air needs some fresh air.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I didn't see it -- I don't even own a TV -- but I can sympathize. I belong to a forum where politics shouldn't come up but one individual has a political agenda that they try to push and try to turn all kinds of unrelated topics back to their political agenda. I sometimes get in hot water trying to find a polite way to say "Please don't use me and my comments to promote your personal political agenda". sigh. Perhaps next time I will just say it exactly like that so it isn't misunderstood by other people. Or just ignore the person altogether. UGH.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Off-topic:
    Clarification: Fresh Air is on NPR not PBS. NPR is radio and PBS is television

I didn't listen to it yesterday, but I will from the audio files they have on the website.

I actually like most of what Terry Gross and Fresh Air does, but I agree that she generally needs to stay away from the political stuff and stick to arts and entertainment interviews. She does much better on those.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Is she the same Terry Gross that was once on the cast of SNL? I caught a little of her interview w/ Bill Maher on Tues. night. Never been a big talk radio person, more into music. Most of these talk shows on radio and TV seem to offer little more than "partisan hackery" to paraphrase John Stewart.
    Adrift in a sea of beige

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by boilerplater
    Is she the same Terry Gross that was once on the cast of SNL? I caught a little of her interview w/ Bill Maher on Tues. night. Never been a big talk radio person, more into music. Most of these talk shows on radio and TV seem to offer little more than "partisan hackery" to paraphrase John Stewart.
    Mary Gross was on SNL, not Terri.

I caught the interview in the car yesterday. While I understand that Terri pressed the issue of gay rights and what Mrs. Cheney's position is, I thought the topic was fair game. Any good journalist would have done the same. Besides, was there really any one who wanted to hear about Mrs.Cheney's "right-washed" children's history books glorifying Manifest Destiny?

Terri can be irritating sometimes, but she could never be in the same league as Bill O'Riley. They broke the mold (thank God) when they made him. The term "arrogant pri*k" comes to mind when his name is mentioned.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Pride of Place

I caught the interview in the car yesterday. While I understand that Terri pressed the issue of gay rights and what Mrs. Cheney's position is, I thought the topic was fair game. Any good journalist would have done the same. Besides, was there really any one who wanted to hear about Mrs.Cheney's "right-washed" children's history books glorifying Manifest Destiny?

Terri can be irritating sometimes, but she could never be in the same league as Bill O'Riley. They broke the mold (thank God) when they made him. The term "arrogant pri*k" comes to mind when his name is mentioned.
    Falling back into lefty character-I certainly agree with you re: the arrogance of Bill O'Leilly and his ilk. I don't want to claim that she is anything like the liemasters of the Right.

NPR hosts, including Terry Gross, are just too mellifluous, and smooth, and...icky for me.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Pride of Place

And my Mayor.....sadly not the same one though. That would certainly make interesting meetings.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Dec 2003

Speaking of Bill O'Reilly

He was on Fresh Air in 2003 and made an ass of himself. The interview ended when he hung up on Terry. It's archived here.
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Lynn Haven FL
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 04 Feb 2012, 10:08 AM
  2. Cheney Finds His Inner Warrior!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 60
    Last post: 16 Feb 2006, 4:53 PM
  3. Um, gross?
    Friday Afternoon Club