Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Bike-A-Thons Thread

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Bike-A-Thons Thread

This Bear searched through all the bike-related threads here in snowy Cyburbia. Was looking for any reference to the many different bike-a-thon type events that are held throughout the country.

Examples:

In the Marquette, MI, area they hold a major mountain bike event in the summer, using mining roads and snowmobile trails to work their way downhill from the higher elevations (Negaunee, Ishpeming) west of town.

In Colorado they hold a "Ride The Rockies" event. I was just reading (Denver Post article on the net) about this year's event and route.

Every year the great rock and roll station in Toledo (WIOT) helps sponsor "Bike To The Bay".....a huge biking event that works its' way from Toledo, through farm country roads, to the ferries that shuttle riders to Put-In-Bay. I have never done this trip, although many of my friends have.....and speak highly of it.

How about you? Any experiences with these types of events? Any plans?

Bear On His Myata
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 1998
    RAGBRAI is huge here. You have to apply to even ride it. Get the facts here.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Ride the Rockies is always a strenuous event. My close friend has ridden it many times, and if my training goes well, I may be there too.... welll maybe 2006.

I do know of a couple more.
    Don't they close the route to the Los Angeles Marathon each year and have people bike it?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Oct 2001
    There are literally thousands of such events. Our local bike club in a city of 80,000 has three such events and KC to the South has even more.

But the term "bike-a-thon is not used much anymore.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 41
    Last post: 12 May 2004, 6:35 PM
  2. Bike Ban
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 10 Dec 2003, 6:12 PM
  3. Never ending Bike thread [Temp 1]
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 08 Sep 2003, 12:56 PM