Urban planning community

Poll results: How much do you pay in taxes (monthly)?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 to $50

4 9.76%
  • $51 to $100

3 7.32%
  • $101 to $200

18 43.90%
  • $201 to $400

11 26.83%
  • $401 and higher

5 12.20%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Property Taxes!

Registered
    Mar 2004

Property Taxes!

Ok, here's the deal, I'm ok with paying my fair share for all the "public" stuff we citizens use, but this will be my first full year of paying property taxes in Florida and HOLLY $#&%!!!

I now pay about $385 a month for property tax on my very modest 3 bed 2 bath home! I'm just curious what everyone else is paying.

While in Colorado, I had a more expensive home in the mountains (45 minutes from Denver) and paid about $100 a month Even when adjusted for State income tax (not collected in Florida) that only added up to another $100 a month for a total of $200 a month for property tax and state income. That's about 98% more here in Florida Looks to me like that no state income tax thing is just a gimmick

Where do the rest of you fall......?
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I won't mind paying more property tax, because that's the way I am. I can see where it gets frustrating when it is a big chunk of your monthly payment though.

With my new house, it looks like I'll be paying about $100/month. Not too bad, but I would like more to go to the schools there. (They suck)
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I pay mine annually and this year it was $2035.00...it has gone up about $700.00 in the four years I have owned my home. I personally cannot complian as I don't really even notice it in my house payment...its the damn interest I hate ; even that is only 5%, I guess it could be a lot worse, but for a single mom I hate dishing out that $997.00 each month and only a portion goes to the principle...I know, I know, the joys of being a home owner and quite honestly I don't think rent would be any cheaper anywhere around here.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I pay over around $175 per month in property taxes. It is rolled into my monthy pay and the bank takes care of it so I don't really notice it.

I get my street plowed pretty quickly after the snow falls, recycling picked up weekly, bulk trash picked up once per month, brush picked up once a month, and the other services are also good so I don't really mind.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    It was a rude awakening to find out that the leasing of space for doing buisness does not include property tax, which gets placed on the leasor to also pay.

So remember, not only are you paying property taxes on your own dwelling unit, you are also paying the property taxes of the place where you make each and every purchase.

Thank you, and have a nice day!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Sep 1999
    My runs about $100 a month for a 3 br/2 ba on 1/2 acre. I think I'll be getting a slight break this year because of the hurricane damage I had. Must have higher property values where you are.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    About 1100/year for a 2-bedroom townhouse originally assessed at $95K (around 1%) Prop 13!

Of course, if I lived in a new house in a new subdivision, I would have to pay special "Mello-Roos District" assessments that would add a couple hundred bucks more per month (in much more expensive neighborhoods, though)

Mine is $2800+/year on a house valued by the tax assessors at $168,000. (I voted in the poll wrong - it should be b/w $200-$400)

Registered
    Oct 2001
    My sister was a liberal until she bought a house in a blue state. That smartened her right up. Yep, from those according to their ability...to those according to the whim of the party in power.

To those of you that are happy you never see it go out because it is rolled up into one neat and clean payment, I'd like to remind you that you don't see the payroll tax your employer pays to keep you working either. That is another tax upon your soul. Kind of like your employer paying your APA dues ain't it? "Hey, why should I get pissed about it, my employer has to pay that..."

I don't mind paying my fair share. I'll even pay a little more because my life has been blessed. What I mind is all the games the government plays with me to extract money from my life so they can get re-elected. Its extortion for pork. That's the system we live under and it needs to change.

Viva la Revolution!

Registered
    May 1997
    We pay about $500 a year on our house in Colorado. We are buying a house in Vermont where it will be well over $2,000. The schools suck in our part of CO, and other public services are pretty limited - which is mostly ok. All of that is better here, so we are getting more, but is it $1,500 more? The NE states are going to have to re-assess their reliance on the property tax.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Although we don't own yet, the area we are looking has average monthly taxes of about $250.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

I pay about $3600/year for my home valued at around $160,000. And I pay a state income tax. Wow. I'm pretty depressed after seeing what everyone else pays.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    NH, with no sales or income tax, relies heavily on property taxes.

See the link below, for the range of tax rates last year:

http://www.state.nh.us/revenue/prope...04taxrates.rtf

Oh, and I have no idea what the taxes are on my house...I'm sure they're built into my rent though!
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Because Indiana had one of the most ridiculous property assessment schemes, and the Courts got a chance to legislate from the bench, we have modernized our assessments and I got whacked with a 63% increase. I now pay in excess of $1300 per year for a 2,400 sq. ft. 4br/2ba home built 1915 on 0.2 acre in the city.

Fifty-six cents of every tax dollar goes to the local/county schools, but my kid could not go to his neighborhood school, but rather would be bused nearly 5 miles through yet another district to a third district. Rather than fight it, I send him to a nearby catholic school that is far, far superior. For $5000 annually.

Eighteen cents of evry dollar goes to the county, although I do not get county road services and sherrifs don't patrol my streets. The county does, however, operate the local jail. I really like the idea that part of my taxes help pay for the county planning commission even though they have zero jurisdiction over me and my property.

For BKM: Indiana froze property taxes in 1972. When was Prop 13?
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jul 1998
    It costs $XXX to run a city/county. Most of that has to come from some sort of tax. It may be sales, income, or property tax, but you have to pay for services. I'm sure in some places you could trim a little here or there, but it won't help much. It just costs a lot to pay for a bunch of dead beat government workers to play on the internet all day
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    Ok, here's the deal, I'm ok with paying my fair share for all the "public" stuff we citizens use, but this will be my first full year of paying property taxes in Florida and HOLLY $#&%!!!

I now pay about $385 a month for property tax on my very modest 3 bed 2 bath home! I'm just curious what everyone else is paying......?
    That is a bit higher than my boyfriend pays for his house, which is also a modest 3/2 in an older neighborhood. I think his taxes were around $3,000+ last year.

I'm used to a part of the country that relied more heavily on its sales tax than anything else.

Anyhoo.....that's FL for ya! Sure isn't cheap to live here, definitely.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Mine are $3300 per year. It's added to my monthly mortgage payment.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I accidently checked the $400 box. I pay a bit over $500 for the year, which means less than $50 per month. In contrast, I would have paid over $6000 on this house if it was in Wisconsin.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    I accidently checked the $400 box. I pay a bit over $500 for the year, which means less than $50 per month. In contrast, I would have paid over $6000 on this house if it was in Wisconsin.
    I too accidently checked the over $400 box. I should have checked the 101-200 box.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Because Indiana had one of the most ridiculous property assessment schemes, and the Courts got a chance to legislate from the bench, we have modernized our assessments and I got whacked with a 63% increase. I now pay in excess of $1300 per year for a 2,400 sq. ft. 4br/2ba home built 1915 on 0.2 acre in the city.

Fifty-six cents of every tax dollar goes to the local/county schools, but my kid could not go to his neighborhood school, but rather would be bused nearly 5 miles through yet another district to a third district. Rather than fight it, I send him to a nearby catholic school that is far, far superior. For $5000 annually.

Eighteen cents of evry dollar goes to the county, although I do not get county road services and sherrifs don't patrol my streets. The county does, however, operate the local jail. I really like the idea that part of my taxes help pay for the county planning commission even though they have zero jurisdiction over me and my property.

For BKM: Indiana froze property taxes in 1972. When was Prop 13?
    1978. Homes can only be reassessed upon resale, so if you stay put, your taxes cannot be suddenly raised like that.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    1200 sq. ft., 3bd, 1ba, $57,000 sale price (in 2000) = $600/yr in property tax.
    This is our rental home in southern Oregon. It's in a sleepy old timber town that's actually pretty quaint and thanks to some great work by a city planner there a few years back, it's on the rebound!

1200 sq. ft., 3bd, 1 ba, $119,000 sale price (in 2003) = $1700/yr in property tax. This is our current domicile on the north coast of Oregon. It's a pretty cool house and I'm totally stoked that we bought it when we did because the prices have been going up up up fast fast fast.

In Oregon, property tax increases are capped at 3% per year. We have no sales tax, moderately high income tax, and (I think) pretty fair property taxes.

I think my Dad in CT pays about $4000 per year in property taxes for a house assessed at $140,000 or so.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Property taxes here can be paid in 2 payments a year; and the last time I remember paying them it was like US $150 total per year.
    The sadest thing is that the money goes to the national treasury, and since I don't live in Santiago, most of the taxes we pay here, end up in Santiago
    Oh and we have a global 19% tax on sales and goods.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2005

NJ highest property taxes

Quote Originally posted by plankton
    1200 sq. ft., 3bd, 1ba, $57,000 sale price (in 2000) = $600/yr in property tax.
    This is our rental home in southern Oregon. It's in a sleepy old timber town that's actually pretty quaint and thanks to some great work by a city planner there a few years back, it's on the rebound!

1200 sq. ft., 3bd, 1 ba, $119,000 sale price (in 2003) = $1700/yr in property tax. This is our current domicile on the north coast of Oregon. It's a pretty cool house and I'm totally stoked that we bought it when we did because the prices have been going up up up fast fast fast.

In Oregon, property tax increases are capped at 3% per year. We have no sales tax, moderately high income tax, and (I think) pretty fair property taxes.

I think my Dad in CT pays about $4000 per year in property taxes for a house assessed at $140,000 or so.
    I live in New Jersey. We have the highest property taxes in the nation, average bill $5,517 In my county, Essex County, average bill $7,425 and in my town $14,000+! Essex County is mostly urban and much of the money is spent on criminal justice. I live in a old, 600 sf condo. Tax bill: $2,600. The main cause is schools, however state has highest % of high school students going to college. Anyhow incomes are high here and the tax burden is less than New York City.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    $208.10 per month, on an assessment just shy of $200k. Conveniently just got my annual mortgage statement today in time for this thread.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I pay about $160 a month total in taxes for both my home in Detroit and my vacation home in beautiful northern Michigan. Then again I've owned them for quite a long period of time now and Michigan has a 'capped' property tax law that actually is a discentive to buy new housing/trading up.
    My home in the city is about 900 square feet 2 bedrooms 1 bath on a 35' by 115' foot lot, and vacation home is about 800 suare feet 2 bedrooms/1 bath on a half-acre.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Property taxes in incorporated vs unincorporated areas
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 09 Jun 2011, 7:59 PM
  2. Replies: 40
    Last post: 15 Dec 2010, 3:44 PM
  3. Spin-off question about property taxes
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 13