Urban planning community

Poll results: How much do you pay in taxes (monthly)?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 to $50

4 9.76%
  • $51 to $100

3 7.32%
  • $101 to $200

18 43.90%
  • $201 to $400

11 26.83%
  • $401 and higher

5 12.20%
+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Property Taxes!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    My old house the property taxes where $325 a year for a house assessed at $32k, that actually sold for half of that. There is a minimum threshold of property tax that everyone pays then it is on a slightly sliding scale, plus some weird formulas.

In NB I never complained about proeprty tax and told my parents not to either, that is where the grants /funding to run my office came from exclusively. So for $325 a year I earned in the 45K range, not a bad return on my investment.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Our muni has the lowest taxes in the Region, and for our 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom raised ranch on .20 acres, we pay about $3200 in town/county/school taxes.

We're in one of the top 10 school districts, and we have great municipal services, so i really don't mind so much.

County taxes went up something like 28% this year, but NYS counties are all getting killed with providing their portions of medicaid/care $$.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    My estimated taxes per month on the soon to be renovated castle on the hill will be about $350/month. Baltimore City has the highest property taxes in the state at $2.40/$100 assessed value.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star
    My estimated taxes per month on the soon to be renovated castle on the hill will be about $350/month. Baltimore City has the highest property taxes in the state at $2.40/$100 assessed value.
    I hope your place isn't one of the small "alley" houses. Becasue, if so, that would be outrageous.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    just checked my assesments online. My assessment went up 11% from 2003-2004 tax year. my asssesment went up 3% from 2004-2005 tax years. My assessed value is still below the market value...Should I challenge my 2004 assessment?
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    May 2003

Good Thread!

I think that property taxes are perhaps the most misunderstood government levy. [Besides of course, the murkiness in the IRS code] There's a wide disparity in the ranges of property tax burdens nationwide largely due to how states, counties and other municipalities decide how they'll generate revenue.

It's been my experience that well managed governments keep a balance between property and sales taxes as becoming too dependent on one over the other.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I pay $2100 a year for a house valued at $125,000. That comes to about $175/month.
    “I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward.” - Thomas Edison

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by boiker
    My assessed value is still below the market value...Should I challenge my 2004 assessment?
    Eek, why? If you challenge your assessment, then your taxes go up, right? The lower the assessment the better if you are not selling immediately. People usually look more at recent nearby home sale prices than assessments around here because the assessments are usually so out of whack.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    In Denver, I was paying about $700 a year on a two bedroom, one bathroom, 850 square foot bungalow in a gentrifying neighborhood. In Orlando, it was $2,000 a year on a three bedroom, two bath pool house witih 1,900 square foot in a middle class suburb.

My taxes shot up after I bought my house in inner suburban Cleveland, making my mortgage payments much higher than I had anticipated. The previous owner was paying about $2,000 annually; now I'm paying about $3,500. Three bedrooms, two bathrooms, 2,200 square feet, half acre lot.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Off-topic:
    What's up with Colorado??? Why the super low property taxes?
    Last edited by mendelman; 11 Feb 2005 at 4:24 PM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    May 1997
    Colorado has, probably by accident, a better balanced slate of revenue sources than many other states. Urban Colorado also has a newer, easier to maintain infrastructure than the older states. But, there are also differences in the quality of public services.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    Ok, here's the deal, I'm ok with paying my fair share for all the "public" stuff we citizens use, but this will be my first full year of paying property taxes in Florida and HOLLY $#&%!!!
    Well, yule be surprised to learn that in my burg a home ~ $120k usually pays out in the neighborhood of $2700 in property taxes. No state property tax, though.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I live in an Apt Building, so I have no idea how much of my Rent goes for Prop Taxes.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    I live in an Apt Building, so I have no idea how much of my Rent goes for Prop Taxes.
    Ditto.

(now, how to get to 10 characters without a stupid smiley... )

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    (Libertarian RANT switch turned on...)

Here in beautiful Swanton, OH, we pay Fulton County taxes that for a $150,000 valuation would be about $1600/year.

We also pay a school income tax, just voted in after about three (3) tries.

We also pay a village income tax.

Ohio has one (1) of the highest income tax rates in the country.

Sales taxes are over 6%.

The only person to cut my taxes in the last ten (10) years was Dubya. Whether or not all the other taxes and their inclines can be attributed to less fed revenue, who the hexx knows? We could argue this one (1) forever.

(Libertarian RANT switch turned off.)

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Miles Ignatius
    I think that property taxes are perhaps the most misunderstood government levy. [Besides of course, the murkiness in the IRS code] There's a wide disparity in the ranges of property tax burdens nationwide largely due to how states, counties and other municipalities decide how they'll generate revenue.

It's been my experience that well managed governments keep a balance between property and sales taxes as becoming too dependent on one over the other.
    I know from a study I did in my master's program that the services offered by local government tend to be much more extensive, and thus more expensive, in the northeast/northwest than in the south. From that, you have the disappointment of transplants who find limited services in many areas of the south, when they relocate. This is just generally speaking, of course. Local variations in assessments may depend on referendums, state-mandated caps, etc.

Registered
    May 2003
    Buy a median price house in Sonoma County, property taxes will be $5,000 per year. If your neighbor has an identical house but bought it 20 years ago, the current property tax on an identical house would be about $1,500. That's one of the reasons Ahhhnold can't balance the budget. (and is, not coincidentally, one of the reasons house prices are so high.)

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Wulf9
    Buy a median price house in Sonoma County, property taxes will be $5,000 per year. If your neighbor has an identical house but bought it 20 years ago, the current property tax on an identical house would be about $1,500. That's one of the reasons Ahhhnold can't balance the budget. (and is, not coincidentally, one of the reasons house prices are so high.)

Damn, and I thought Iowa had an f'ed up property tax formula. Does your tax depend only on the price of the last sale? They do not use comparable sales? Once on of these things get put into place it is next to imposible to fix. Voters see the change as a tax increase and not fixing a broken system.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Mil rate might be a better thread for cross-country comparison....

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by giff57
    Damn, and I thought Iowa had an f'ed up property tax formula. Does your tax depend only on the price of the last sale? They do not use comparable sales? Once on of these things get put into place it is next to imposible to fix. Voters see the change as a tax increase and not fixing a broken system.
    Proposition 13 froze taxes at time of purchase plus a small increase each year. Old folks get a free ride. Kids pay. Get used to it, kids -- or start voting. Your wages will be purloined to support the increasing ranks of codgers unless you get smart.

Oh, by kids, I mean anyone under 50.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    There is was an article in yesterday's Washington Post about Habitat for Humanity homeowners are in danger of losing their homes because of the increase in property taxes in Northern VA. One homeowner's monthly mortgage payment almost doubles from $515 to nearly $1000. The link to the article is below.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2005Feb13.html
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star
    There is was an article in yesterday's Washington Post about Habitat for Humanity homeowners are in danger of losing their homes because of the increase in property taxes in Northern VA. One homeowner's monthly mortgage payment almost doubles from $515 to nearly $1000. The link to the article is below.]
    The Fed subsidized interest rates should have increased the cost of a house by 30% or more. (The same payment would buy a house costing 30% more than in 2002 when the Fed started dropping rates. Of course, the market took this into account by raising prices, not by lowering payments.). This would mean that the interest rate subsidy should also result in re-assessment to increase property taxes by 30%.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Property taxes in incorporated vs unincorporated areas
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 09 Jun 2011, 7:59 PM
  2. Replies: 40
    Last post: 15 Dec 2010, 3:44 PM
  3. Spin-off question about property taxes
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 13