Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 66 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2008 Presidential Election Thread

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

The 2008 Presidential Election Thread

This weekend (2-12-05) Howard Dean will probably assume control of the top spot in the Democratic National Party. That will probably eliminate him from any chance of again running for the presidency, in 2008. His little shouting incident in Iowa appeared to be the real elimination factor.....but.....us old folks can recall Richard Milhous Nixon losing to John Kennedy (1960) and losing a congressional race (1962), saying after that loss, "You won't have Richard Nixon to kick around anymore." (Dean's run did highlight the effectiveness of using the internet to get a message out.)

In this Bear's early 2005 opinion, here's where the parties stand/sit. in respect to the 2008 election. (Remember, effective candidates will be "running" within a couple years.)

On the Democratic side.....If Bill Clinton could run again he would win. Say what you want about the guy (oh those dirty stains), a lot of people like him and say they trust him. I don't think that he has the ability to positively or negatively affect his wife's candidacy. People either love her or hate her.....doesn't seem to be a middle-ground. This Bear thinks its' time for a woman to be president....but not her.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Wesley Clark make a more successful run. Attach him to a more conservative (there's gotta be one in the DNP) and you'd have a strong ticket, potentially able to change the few notes necessary in states that were evenly-divided.

John Edwards will certainly run again. His wife (and her struggles with the "C" word health issue) are strengths that will help him. But, IMHO, he still appears to be just an average national candidate. And he has to shed the mole!

2008 will be too soon for Osama Baraka. He will be closely watched in the next few years to see if his actions can match his rhetoric.

John McCain is certainly the front-runner in the party of the big elephant. He keeps saying that he has not made a choice but you just get the feeling that he's already there. (This Bear likes McCain.)

I have heard a few other minor names bantered about for the 2008 GOP run, but those names (and credentials!) escape me. None of those names are in the Bush cabinet. How the war in Iraq progesses will certainly have an affect......because if things are going badly in about 2006 and 2007, some GOP candidates may disassociate themselves from Dubya.

OTOH, the "appeared" success of the conservative moral right-wing may bring out GOP candidates who use that as their ONLY torch. If they do that, they'll lose.
    (I can hear the applause all through the tree-lined boulevards of Cyburbia!)

Since this Bear joined the earth people (in 1948) there have only been a few two-term presidencies. Dwight David Eisenhour, Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton....and if all goes well for Dubya, Bush II. Lyndon Johnson became prez when JFK was shot in Dallas. He was elected in a huge landslide (over Barry Goldwater) in 1964 and we all thought he would run again. Our national involvement (and a nation divided on whether or not we belonged there) in Viet Nam was the reason that LBJ decided not to run.

Now I will sit back and see if any other Cyburbia residents have a take on the 2008 prez elections.

Chad Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I'd be thrilled with an Australian head of state for Australia by 2028 - don't think I can say too much about US politics (except I think you guys generally need to get a grip on your emotions around politics - even a polite society of planners such as Cyburbia got testy during the last campaign). I apologise in advance for everyone that feels sleighted by that last comment.

I have a question though. What does GOP stand for? I appreciate it must have something to do with the Republicans but I can't conjure up a sensible extension of the acronym in my mind.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Rem
    I have a question though. What does GOP stand for? I appreciate it must have something to do with the Republicans but I can't conjure up a sensible extension of the acronym in my mind.
    I think it stands for "Grand Old Party"

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Yeah of course, that should have been obvious. You should be in bed by the way.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Well, if it is John McCain I think that he would get my vote. But I think that Barack Obama will run as the democratic vice president. That alone would sway the vote. I think that for the Dems to win, they will need to have someone who can appeal to the purple states.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

No matter what happens, one thing will be for certain.

For only the second time in a quarter century, the name Bush will not be on the presidential ticket.

I hope

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    Bear's got it pretty well handicapped already. Edwards definitely will run.

There is lots of early money on Hillary but I think she is too divisive (today at least) for the rest of the Country (by divisive I mean lots of people love here but lots of people don't--sort of visceral..)

I agree too early for obama, if ever. I think he represents some wishful thinking among dems.

Kerry may run again as well.

For the GOP I would disagree that McCain is the front runner. He is not well loved by party faithful. He will again have an awful hard time in the primaries. He's a media darling.

I would throw Pataki, maybe Guiliani in there for good measure.

I am a pretty solid republican but have worries about the leadership going forward.

Don't forget Senator Evan Bayh (D) of Indiana. I understand he's begun putting together a team to look into it.

Bill Richardson of New Mexico.

Although I dislike him immensely, Mitch McConnel (R) of Kentucky is quite powerful and has the requisite ego to consider being a candidate.

Everyone in the Bush clan thought Jeb would be the first to run from his generation. Could the bushies produce 41, 43 and 44?
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Oct 2001
    2008 (mark my words)

For the GOP: Condie Rice - Prez, Guiliani - VP: 53%
    For the Dems: Hilliary - Prez, John Edwards - VP: 46%
    For the Greens: Nader - Prez, LaDuke - VP: 1%

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    This weekend (2-12-05) Howard Dean will probably assume control of the top spot in the Democratic National Party. That will probably eliminate him from any chance of again running for the presidency, in 2008. His little shouting incident in Iowa appeared to be the real elimination factor.....but.....us old folks can recall Richard Milhous Nixon losing to John Kennedy (1960) and losing a congressional race (1962), saying after that loss, "You won't have Richard Nixon to kick around anymore." (Dean's run did highlight the effectiveness of using the internet to get a message out.)

In this Bear's early 2005 opinion, here's where the parties stand/sit. in respect to the 2008 election. (Remember, effective candidates will be "running" within a couple years.)

On the Democratic side.....If Bill Clinton could run again he would win. Say what you want about the guy (oh those dirty stains), a lot of people like him and say they trust him. I don't think that he has the ability to positively or negatively affect his wife's candidacy. People either love her or hate her.....doesn't seem to be a middle-ground. This Bear thinks its' time for a woman to be president....but not her.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Wesley Clark make a more successful run. Attach him to a more conservative (there's gotta be one in the DNP) and you'd have a strong ticket, potentially able to change the few notes necessary in states that were evenly-divided.

John Edwards will certainly run again. His wife (and her struggles with the "C" word health issue) are strengths that will help him. But, IMHO, he still appears to be just an average national candidate. And he has to shed the mole!

2008 will be too soon for Osama Baraka. He will be closely watched in the next few years to see if his actions can match his rhetoric.

John McCain is certainly the front-runner in the party of the big elephant. He keeps saying that he has not made a choice but you just get the feeling that he's already there. (This Bear likes McCain.)

I have heard a few other minor names bantered about for the 2008 GOP run, but those names (and credentials!) escape me. None of those names are in the Bush cabinet. How the war in Iraq progesses will certainly have an affect......because if things are going badly in about 2006 and 2007, some GOP candidates may disassociate themselves from Dubya.

OTOH, the "appeared" success of the conservative moral right-wing may bring out GOP candidates who use that as their ONLY torch. If they do that, they'll lose.
    (I can hear the applause all through the tree-lined boulevards of Cyburbia!)

Since this Bear joined the earth people (in 1948) there have only been a few two-term presidencies. Dwight David Eisenhour, Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton....and if all goes well for Dubya, Bush II. Lyndon Johnson became prez when JFK was shot in Dallas. He was elected in a huge landslide (over Barry Goldwater) in 1964 and we all thought he would run again. Our national involvement (and a nation divided on whether or not we belonged there) in Viet Nam was the reason that LBJ decided not to run.

Now I will sit back and see if any other Cyburbia residents have a take on the 2008 prez elections.

Chad Bear

His name is Barack Obama.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Having Hillary run would be the worst thing the Dems could do. She's too divisive, too "opportunistic," and she doesn't have her husband's charm. Having Kerry run again would be almost as bad.

Condi, huh? I never though of that one. She might be a big hit depending on how she does as Sec of State. She never (to my knowlege) has had to run for anything before - I wonder if she could appeal to people in a campaign.

Is Colin Powell out of the picture?

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Guap - Seriously - you think the GOP would put up Condie? I just can't in a million trillion years ever see that happening.

I think Giuliani is a big possibility for VP, but I don't know about Pataki. After this last election, he just seems too moderate for the GOP ticket, and I don't say that sarcastically.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    No know, it seems that the "Right" are the only ones saying Hillary will be running. It's as if they want her to run, knowing she would lose and they'd have beaten a Clinton.....finally....
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Downtown
    Guap - Seriously - you think the GOP would put up Condie? I just can't in a million trillion years ever see that happening.

I think Giuliani is a big possibility for VP, but I don't know about Pataki. After this last election, he just seems too moderate for the GOP ticket, and I don't say that sarcastically.
    I actually do see Condi Rice running and doing well. Even my mother, the kind whom doesn't follow politics at all and usually votes out of emotion, likes her.

IMHO, Condi is one whom is being severely underestimated by the popular pundants. The biggest hangup with them seems to be that she is a black woman whom is not toeing the liberal orthodoxy (yes, a bit of the 'R-word' going on with them). She is very, very smart (holds a PhD) and is a well spoken, articulate conservative - and highly popular among Republicans.

Mike

I agree with Guap on Condi. Aside from Congressional Democrats ripping into her, she has a fairly positive public image. The Republicans would love to see her run, not because she is an African American woman but because she is their best candidate. She doesn't have a public voting record that most candidates would have which is a blessing and a curse. I am thinking a ticket with Rice/McCain would be really tough for the dems to beat.

Hillary will not get the nomination. As much as people like Bill Clinton, Hillary has an image problem. I think that a lot of the negative image is unfair and has been heaped on by conservative talking heads, but it will carry over into the primaries. I think that the Democrats need fresh blood but Obama is too much of a newcomer and has yet to even make a mark in the Senate. I know Edwards will run and is probably the front-runner for the nomination. I could see Al Gore as a long-shot addition to the race.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I'd be thrilled with an Australian head of state for Australia by 2028 - don't think I can say too much about US politics (except I think you guys generally need to get a grip on your emotions around politics - even a polite society of planners such as Cyburbia got testy during the last campaign). I apologise in advance for everyone that feels sleighted by that last comment.
    I was also very distressed by the breathtaking level of pure hatred that surrounded last year's election, likely the highest since the Civil War.

It stands for 'Grand Old Party', a nickname that the Republican Party often uses, even though the Democrats have been around in some form or another since the Revolution.

BTW, an historical note, it is believed that the Republican Party was founded in the mid-19th Century in a small schoolhouse in Ripon (pronounced 'RIP-in'), WI, a small city located about 45 minutes' driving time southwest of Appleton.

Mike
    Last edited by mgk920; 11 Feb 2005 at 12:15 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    What about Arnold? Maybe as McCain’s VP?

I don’t think that Coni could win...

Quote Originally posted by mgk920
    BTW, an historical note, it is believed that the Republican Party was founded in the mid-19th Century in a small schoolhouse in Ripon (pronounced 'RIP-in'), WI, a small city located about 45 minutes' driving time southwest of Appleton.
    That is very cool! I know a bunch of people from Ripon.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star
    His name is Barack Obama.
    I thought that was kind of offensive, too, although it was probably supposed to be a joke.

Quote Originally posted by Greenescapist
    I thought that was kind of offensive, too, although it was probably supposed to be a joke.
    If I know Bear as well as I think I do, it most definitely was not intended to be offensive or a joke. Simple --if unfortunate -- mistake.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    If I know Bear as well as I think I do, it most definitely was not intended to be offensive or a joke. Simple --if unfortunate -- mistake.
    I think he used that because that is one of the many ways that Teddy Kennedy mangled it a month or two ago.

Mike

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Republicans:
    Bill Frist, Rudy Guiliani and McCain will run. Pataki is weak in New York right now and his term ends in 2006. I don't think he'd make a great national candidate. McCain and Guiliani are too liberal for most Republican primary voters. I know they are darlings of the media, but it's hard core conservatives who vote in primaries and once Guiliani's stances on social issues get out and McCains willingness to go against the party line-- I think they'll be done. Remember how effective it was for the Bush team to slur McCain in SC, it's disgusting, but it worked. I don't know who that leaves. Frist is a bore and the Senate seems to kill any chance of being President. Maybe a Republican governor? I don't think Condi is convincing either.

Democrats:
    Hillary will never be elected. She is perceived to be very liberal, even though she's not. I think a lot of Americans are still put off by a woman with brains and power, sad as that is. Edwards was a failure for Kerry. He was supposed to whip up all sorts of Southern support and it never materialized. His resume was light and he's going to have to do something productive over the next four years to make a convincing arcgument.

I think Bill Richardson of New Mexico is a genius. I wanted him to run this time, but he pledged to serve out his governor position. The Democrats need someone from the West with executive experience. He's been in Congress, the UN, a cabinet secretary and a governor. He's universally respected, fluent in Spanish and telegenic. I think he'd be perfect. Maybe Obama for VP? Someone pointed out that if Obama has national ambitions, he better move fast before he accumulates a liberal voting record in the Senate- that's obviously a killer.

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    .....us old folks can recall Richard Milhous Nixon losing to John Kennedy (1960) and losing a congressional race (1962), saying after that loss, "You won't have Richard Nixon to kick around anymore."

Actually, Nixon ran for governor of California in 1962 against Edmund "Pat" Brown and lost. In 1966, Reagan ran against Brown and won.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

My vote: Bill Clinton (if possible) - I'll even campaign for him.

If not I'll just vote Republican as the Dems are just bugging the hell out of me recently.

Osama Baraka (is that his real name?) I would never vote for... He reminds me of the character Chris Rock played in Head of State.

He has no experience in government but CNN and the Dems have been hyping him up like mad, likely for the same plot as "Head of State."
    Last edited by OfficialPlanner; 11 Feb 2005 at 2:10 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2001

The 2004 election is just 3 months old and you folks are already thinking about 2008?

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I'm hoping Jesse "The Body" Ventuera runs.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 66 1 2 11 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 75
    Last post: 19 Mar 2014, 10:50 AM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last post: 17 Jun 2011, 4:41 PM
  3. Replies: 62
    Last post: 05 Mar 2008, 3:44 PM