Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Journal of the American Planning Association

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Journal of the American Planning Association

How many people in here read anything from The Journal of the American Planning Association? I was looking at some of the articles, a few of them have a lot of great information. What are your thoughts?

Moderator note:
    (Dan) Changed the acronym in the title line to the words.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I have 3 or 4 issues sitting in my inbox that need my attention but I have not had time to look at. Maybe some day I'll look at them.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Sorry NO,
    I don't have a subscription (it costs to to much)
    see other threads on benefit/value of APA.
    neither does work or the 2 local university libraries.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I shell out the dough each year. I do find some of it interesting, but too academic. I'd rather read a project-focused journal. Also, with AICP looming this spring...I gotta read it.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yeah but....

Yeah JAPA does have the occasionally decent paper....the main problem is that most public planning jobs are way too influenced by politics for the more academic/systematic planning processes written about in this journal to be implemented by those of us in the "field." In fact, most of the better papers I've read in the journal are done by planners outside of academia.

If APA wanted to provide a service to those of us outside academia, they would push hard to get planners involved with the journal. The professors and thesis types should publish in a different "academic" journal. JAPA could be a great resource, full of useful data for working planners......
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    May 1997
    Over the years I have accumulated quite a few helpful papers from JAPA re various topics. Planning is such a diverse field that you can't rely on just one journal, but I don't feel too bad about paying for this one, then finding the others I use at nearby university libraries.

It is true that the papers in JAPA are academic, but I think that one of the chief responsibilities of our profession is to be able to translate information into a useful form.

We subscribe, but I think that they end up buried on my boss' desk and never make their way to me...

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I joined the APA a few months back when I started grad school. I receive the magazine entitled "Planning." Is this the same magazine you guys are describing?

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Nope. You have to pay extra to get JAPA.

...As if you're not paying enough already.

Registered
    Jan 2005

Japa is as bad as planning magazine

well, maybe not that bad, but close. Urban Land is the best planning magazine out there, even though its done by the real estate industry. Great articles from many perspectives, excellent production values and each issue is meaty, unlike Planning, which can be finished while sitting on the john.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Would anyone recommend that subscribing to JAPA if you are a student or is there another one that would serve those of us still trapped in the school better?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by psylo
    Would anyone recommend that subscribing to JAPA if you are a student or is there another one that would serve those of us still trapped in the school better?
    Your school library does not subscribe ?
    Save yourself the money.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Your school library does not subscribe ?
    Save yourself the money.
    They do, but I wasn't sure if it would be beneficial to have a subscribtion outside of the school. Thanks for the help!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    As I recall, I would read it regularly when I was in college. Afterwards, it was too 'spensive. It was worth the effort, though.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I'm with Cardinal. Read it religiously in grad school and for 2 years after that. Too expensive for my personal and public budget now. There are perhaps 3 useful articles a year, but now I do not know about them.

Regardless of all the criticism I heap on them, APA needs to continue the academic side of things.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee
    I'm with Cardinal. Read it religiously in grad school and for 2 years after that. Too expensive for my personal and public budget now. There are perhaps 3 useful articles a year, but now I do not know about them.

Regardless of all the criticism I heap on them, APA needs to continue the academic side of things.
    Yes, this is one valuable thing APA does. Of course, like everything of value from APA, you have to pay extra for it.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee

Will do, thanks a bunch for the help!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 21
    Last post: 29 Aug 2007, 12:12 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 18 Feb 2007, 1:20 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 18 May 2004, 6:02 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 10 Apr 2002, 10:21 AM
  5. Replies: 0