Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Copyrighting public spaces?

Registered
    Mar 2004

Copyrighting public spaces?

An interesting item on today's (Monday, 2005-02-14) Planetizen wire discusses King Richard II's efforts to enforce copyright restrictions on photographing and using images of any of the stuff built into the new Millennium Park on Chicago's downtown lakefront. Apparently he doesn't want any competition from the locals for souvenirs of the site, which is a public park and was built with public funding.

http://newurbanist.blogspot.com/2005...lic-space.html

Is this a more common trend that I think that it is?

Any thoughts?

Mike

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920
    An interesting item on today's (Monday, 2005-02-14) Planetizen wire discusses King Richard II's efforts to enforce copyright restrictions on photographing and using images of any of the stuff built into the new Millennium Park on Chicago's downtown lakefront. Apparently he doesn't want any competition from the locals for souvenirs of the site, which is a public park and was built with public funding.

http://newurbanist.blogspot.com/2005...lic-space.html

Is this a more common trend that I think that it is?

Any thoughts?

Mike
    Hmm i only skimmed... but maybe it makes sense.. Especially since it's ok for students, amateur photographers and newspaper folks to photograph it… I definitely understand the not being able to take pictures of the bean sculpture and selling the photographs.. not so sure about the rest of the park, although I guess design is an art and can be copyrighted also…? I’m just wondering where the revenue for the permits goes… if it goes to better the city I don’t see a problem at all.

Registered
    May 2003
    FWIU, you aren't allowed to photograph in the park. The park is owned by a conservancy, not by the park distict, so it is technically private space. The same problem has affected Central Park in NYC since it was taken over by a conservancy from their deliquent park district.

The Chicago Transit Authority has had a similar restriction for years: You can't shoot pictures on CTA property without a license for commercial purposes. Public authorities, of course, have more powers than "real" public bodies when it comes to their "property."

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 08 Oct 2012, 2:11 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 22 Feb 2010, 1:32 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last post: 04 Aug 2009, 4:57 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 09 Feb 2009, 4:19 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last post: 16 May 2005, 11:26 AM