Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Going back to work for former employer?

Registered
    Dec 2004

Going back to work for former employer?

How many of you have gone back to work for the same employer after leaving?

Four years ago I worked for a year as a planner in a small (3 planner) county planning office.

The Director of County Development job is opening at my old County Planning Office, and if I were to get it I would be the Director, not just a Planner

Anyone else out there ever left a job and then come back later as the boss?
    NATURE WASTES SPACE
    PAVEMENT IS OUR SALVATION

Zeroxed signs found along Pacific Coast Highway in 1990. Proudly hanging in my office ever since... ;)

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Not going back at as the boss, but I did get an offer from the consulting company I worked for 5 years ago. I have dinner with the owner tonight, so we'll see.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Well, not quite on the same scale, but as a teenager I worked part-time after school on the checkout at the local supermarket. I left on good terms, so when I was looking for part time work again a couple of years later (while at university), they were happy to have me back and made me checkout supervisor! 19yo female supervising 17yo guys... hmmm. Sometimes that didn't work so well!

Even though I didn't really like working there, it was good that I had stayed on good terms with them. Felt good to go back with more responsibility and learn some management skills.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Go for it.....

Unless you had a problem with the previous employer......you should consider the opportunity if it really works for you.......plus, I gotta think it would look great on a resume to be hired twice at the same place......automatic reference without even having to call the place..... Obviously they liked you the first time and who cares why you left the second time....ha ha ha.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Go for it. Consider the opportunity as a delayed promotion.

Registered
    Dec 2004

Actually, it's much more convoluted.....

This is an interesting, yet mundane story.

I had come into this job at the start of a "Cultural Revolution" - they had just hired a new Director of Community Development after years of having a "one-planner" department. This director in turn hired me and we basically turned the place inside-out and upside down - re-doing the ways things had been done for the last 15-years, and bringing the office into the early 20th Century.

The planner who ran the place for those last 15 years was kicked out of her throne, and went from Queen Bee to worker bee. Needless to say she was not happy and since she could not take it out on the director, she turned her sting towards me. Not being one to suffer fools gladly, I let it be known in no uncertain terms that I was having none of that.

After a year of having Good-ol-boy-County Commissoners and being asked to do things that where unethical at best and illegal at worse, I took the illness of my in-laws and their moving to the East Coast as a sign - helping them was more important then the crap - so I quit. Shortly after I Ieft so did the Director of County Development, the County Administrator, the County Engineer and the Road and Bridge supervisor.

So, the upshot of all these quittings is that the BOCC gave the Directors job (in title at least) to the gal in charge of the Building department who had been there forever. (Good 'ol Boys - remember??) She did not know squat about planning and did not want to know about planning.

After a few years -and a brand spanking new BOCC - voila! The Directors job opens up again - and here I am - four years wiser (After working for the fastest growing county in the US of A) and ready to go.

Except.....

The Queen Bee is still there....and I would be her boss....

Sweet revenge? (Nah, I'm too professional.....)

Thoughts????????
    NATURE WASTES SPACE
    PAVEMENT IS OUR SALVATION

Zeroxed signs found along Pacific Coast Highway in 1990. Proudly hanging in my office ever since... ;)

Registered
    Mar 2004

On second thought.....

Forget it.....not worth the headaches....unless you could fire Queen Bee and quit the next month for another job you already had lined up before taking this one.... Wouldn't that be great.....er on third thought, that would be unethical....and I don't suggest that you do that.....but hypothetically, wouldn't that be a hoot....?
    Skilled Adoxographer

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I returned to a former employer in California. Not as the dept. head but I was the right person at the right time and made my way up the organization and left as a principal planner.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 29 Sep 2008, 1:56 PM
  2. Get Back To Work, Slacker Bear
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 07 Apr 2005, 10:10 AM
  3. Back to work
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 03 Jan 2005, 6:57 PM