Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: NY pizza can't beat Phoenix pie!

Registered
    Oct 2003

NY pizza can't beat Phoenix pie!

Best pizza is in Phoenix. Ok so the guy is from New York, but the restaurant is in downtown Phoenix. I think all the press means I'll be waiting longer.

New York-based Newsweek reported the snubbing of traditional pizza enclaves with what can only be read as a typographical raised eyebrow in this week's issue.

In an e-mail, senior writer Bret Begun explained, "It's fair to say that most people reading our magazine would assume that New York or Chicago - not Phoenix - had the best pizza. But I'm confident that if Levine says the best pizza is in Phoenix, then it is. And now our readers know it, too."

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Crust with good structure and homemade mozza plus pork suasage and fennel. ?!?!?!

Thatsa pizza, and it has nothing to do with the water in New York. I always hear that,..THough Ive never tasted bagels like the ones from a NY bagel shop,and they claim its the water too Im sure the same baker could dupiclate that in Az or mich. don't you think? maybe he imports the water to make his pizza.

"It's the water. New York's got the best water. And yeast," Goldberg said. "Does he cook over coal? We use coal." (Bianco's is wood-fired pizza.)
    and what of the yeast anyway?

Congrats on living in the best pizza state

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm jealous. Great pizza is not easily come by in these parts.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I haven't had a great pizza in so many years that I really don't give a damn if I make it using pre-made and pre-cooked dough and I put the toppings, or the finest italian restaurant pizza here...
    It's just pizza people, there's not much into it.
    /me ducks and covers

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I love Pizza Bianco. It really is the best ever.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    I'm jealous. Great pizza is not easily come by in these parts.
    Make a run to the panhandle, I'll make you a pizza.

Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton
    ....snip....It's just pizza people, there's not much into it.
    Oh, how little you know, young one. It's takes me a couple of days when I use the sourdough starter. arghhhhh.....

Quote Originally posted by Jen
    Thatsa pizza, and it has nothing to do with the water in New York. I always hear that,..THough Ive never tasted bagels like the ones from a NY bagel shop,and they claim its the water too Im sure the same baker could dupiclate that in Az or mich. don't you think? maybe he imports the water to make his pizza.
    No, it most definitely IS the water. I have a friend that has been a restaurateur from NY, now doing business in KY. Good Italian guy. When I complain about pizza crusts here versus back east, he explains it the same way: New York has the best water in the US. The water makes the crusts crispy and the bread airy -- as opposed to doughy. Plain and simple, IMO.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Best pizza I have ever had was at the foot of the Brooklyn Bridge on the Brooklyn side. We waited an hour, and the pizza cost about $35, but it fed four, and it was amazing.

I have also like to go to Chicago for good pizza, but it is not as good as in Brooklyn.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton
    It's just pizza people, there's not much into it.
    /me ducks and covers
    Au contraire! Read on....(supporting evidence that yes, pizza SHOULD be its own food group! )

Pizza Crust Comes From the Breads and Grains Group
    You need 6-11 servings from this food group every day to help give your body the vitamins and minerals it needs to grow right and to help your brain think. One serving equals 1 slice of bread, 1/2 cup of cooked rice or pasta or 1 ounce of ready-to-eat cereal.

Cheese Comes From the Milk and Milk Products GroupYou need 2-4 servings from this food group every day to help keep your bones healthy and strong. One serving equals 1 cup of milk or yogurt or 1˝ ounces of cheese.

Ham Comes From the Meats, Beans, and Nuts Group
    You need 2-3 servings from this food group every day to help build your muscles and keep them strong. One serving equals 3 ounces of cooked lean meat, poultry, or fish, 1/2 cup of cooked dried beans, 2 eggs or 2 tablespoons of peanut butter.

Pineapple Comes From the Fruits GroupYou need 2-4 servings from this food group every day to get the vitamins and minerals to help keep all of your body parts healthy and strong. One serving equals 1 piece of fruit or melon wedge, 3/4 cup of juice or 1/2 cup of canned fruit.

Mushrooms Come From the Vegetables Group You need 3-5 servings from this food group every day to give you the vitamins and minerals your body needs to keep you from getting sick and to help you stay healthy and strong. One serving equals 1/2 cup of chopped raw or cooked vegetables or 1 cup of leafy raw vegetables.

Combination Foods
    It’s a way of life for most of you and your friends – eating combination foods. These are foods that include more than one food group from the food guide pyramid. Popular combination foods include cheeseburgers, burritos, and yes, even pizza!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    No, it most definitely IS the water. I have a friend that has been a restaurateur from NY, now doing business in KY. Good Italian guy. When I complain about pizza crusts here versus back east, he explains it the same way: New York has the best water in the US. The water makes the crusts crispy and the bread airy -- as opposed to doughy. Plain and simple, IMO.

Garbage - There are places in northern NJ with pizza as good as anywhere in NYC that don't get their water from the Catskills. The closer you get to Philly the doughier the pies get. There are few places worth going to for a slice in Philly and those that are wind up being the places that have the better, "NY style", dough - Lorenzo's and Gianfranco's among them.

When i stop for a slice the crust should be crisp, it should break at the top when i fold it in half but the rest of it should stay together. In short i should be able to grab a couple of napkins and the slice, throw the paper plate away, and keep on walking without making a mess - otherwise i'll have to believe you just took it out of the freezer and threw it in the oven.

When i was living in Charleston i was so sick of the fast-food style pizza that i just stopped eating it entirely. Then a friend brought a pie over that actually looked like it was worth trying. I went there the next day to get my own and it turns out the guys were from Toms River, NJ
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Pizza Pizza!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 65
    Last post: 13 Feb 2013, 7:52 PM
  2. Replies: 38
    Last post: 13 Dec 2006, 12:57 AM
  3. Can I beat Jon Stewart?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 24 Jun 2006, 11:27 AM