Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Cellular towers in scenic areas

Registered
    Jan 2003

Cellular towers in scenic areas

The municipal and regional govts in a scenic part of rural Quebec (Eastern Townships, south of Montreal, north of VT) want to site a cell tower on part of the last undeveloped mountain in the area. The official reason is for communication with emergency vehicles, but cell phone service is spotty in the area, so cel phone use is definitely important too.

I have reviewed threads I could find related to this i.e., 3rd Party Reviews (Cell Towers) and Cellular Towers -- municipally owned sites.
    Have I missed other useful discussions ?

I am looking for information on:
    1. the kinds of requirements other jurisdictions have to evaluate and mitigate the impacts.
    2. any new technologies on the horizon that may mean we won't need so many towers dotted across the landscape in 10 years?

(I have already looked at Muskego's ordinance, which is helpful, thanks Chet, also NHPlanner for your postings).

Thanks for any help

If you are curious about this, check out:
    http://www.frelighsburg.com/tower.html

Registered
    Mar 2004

satellite phones

Once NASA gets back on their feet, look for satellite phones to be the next big thing......Nextel is already selling a chip for some phones to use satellite technology.....This would take at least another 10 to 15 years to come online I think....gotta make the satellites and get them up with a maintenance plan.....When this takes place....and it will....the company that can make this a reality and cost efficient will win out.....of course others will keep using the towers for many years.....

Flag Poles are a good idea
    Fake Trees in the woods can work (not stand alone)
    use buildings when available
    Tall Power Line Structures can be used....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jan 2005
    *shrug*

I kind of like the look of communication towers on the top of mountains. They can be very striking. They are more monuments than communication towers at that point... Here is one at the top of Blackwall Peak in Manning Provincial Park in BC. It is a microwave tower and was originally part of the long-distance telephone network. I believe it is now used chiefly as a backup system for fiber-optic lines in the event they are cut in a serious earthquake.

     
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    I'm not quite sure if tis falls under the same category, but Ontario has been trying to get more windmill turbines to generate Green energy. The downside is that one of the windiest, and therefore best places to put one of these wind farms is along the Niagara Escarpement around Georgian Bay. The scenic Bruce Trail which follows the escarpment is also a UNESCO world biosphere site. Naysayers say the windmills would obstruct the scenicviews of and from the escarpment, while proponents argue that this particular location is needed to help kick-start other Green energy projects around the province.

Between the cell phone tower and the windmill, I don't know which is the lesser evil.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by undergrad planner
    I'm not quite sure if tis falls under the same category, but Ontario has been trying to get more windmill turbines to generate Green energy. The downside is that one of the windiest, and therefore best places to put one of these wind farms is along the Niagara Escarpement around Georgian Bay. The scenic Bruce Trail which follows the escarpment is also a UNESCO world biosphere site. Naysayers say the windmills would obstruct the scenicviews of and from the escarpment, while proponents argue that this particular location is needed to help kick-start other Green energy projects around the province.

Between the cell phone tower and the windmill, I don't know which is the lesser evil.
    Don't you be dissin' the breeze-beaters. As an economic developer, these are some of the companies I work with now. Economically, wind energy is on a par with natural gas in terms of cost ($2-3 per kW), and has several advantages in that it can be put in place in months instead of years, requires far less maintenance, and the energy source is free. That said, there are much better places for wind farms than in the most scenic parts of Ontario, eh?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    As far as evaluating their impacts, I would suggest hiring a consultant that can review the applicant's communication grid and see if they absolutely have to have a tower in that location. I am rewriting our own ordinance and I see ordinance after ordinance requiring the cell company to pay for a consultant to review their application to be sure they have exhausted all other options and that what they are proposing is the "last option". In the US you must comply with the Telecommunications Act of 1996, not sure if you have a similar act there in Quebec.
    You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    IMO, those fake pine trees look completely ridiculous. They are perfectly straight and usually 150-200% taller than adjacent trees. Not fooling anyone. They are in the same category as pink lawn flamingos and giant inflatable Santa Clauses, i.e. roadside schlock. There are a few in Massachusetts and one in NY along the New York Thruway - New England Branch. I laugh out loud everytime I see them. The sad thing is that the local residents likely believe that they won some type of major concession from the communications company.

A simple one post tower is much less obtrusive.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Have you check out Scenic America links about telecommunications towers at:
    http://www.scenic.org/telecomtowers/telecom.htm
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by undergrad planer
    Off-topic:

The proposed location of the windmills was on the other side of the peninsula (Kincardine) vs the truly scenic part (Owen Sound). Without the governent grant this project pretty much died. It is somewhat interesting that the other locations that were approved for wind mills are all in liberal ridings vs this PC one. Also the test farm at Bruce Power is being marketed as a tourist attraction.

Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 18 Apr 2011, 2:56 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 15 May 2010, 10:33 AM
  3. Scenic Roads
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 17 Sep 2007, 5:43 PM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last post: 24 Jan 2005, 3:32 PM